FireFli mod

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The manufacturer claims it's the world's smallest flashlight, and I won't argue. I first saw one in JimH's hand at the Cambria get-together last year and it didn't excite me enough to go and guy one. When Jon posted he was going to be selling them, I asked him for a couple to see if they might be mod-worthy. They arrived a few days later.
site1092.JPG

site1093.JPG

Not shown is the short piece of plastic soda straw (you can see the colored stripes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) inside the body to insulate the cells. The switch action is unusual and a little difficult to describe. The tail piece has an insulating sleeve pressed into it, and a metal contact (neg) is pressed into the sleeve. As the tail is unscrewed, the flange on the contact contacts the tail threads in the body. Meanwhile, the conical spring (+ contact) keeps the battery stack against the neg contact and the circuit is closed. When in the on position, a vent hole is opened to atmosphere, which the Zinc-air cells require to work. I will also add the neg switch contact gives a metal-to-metal scraping feel as you completely unscrew the tail.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How to get it apart??? I tried very(!!) firm pressure against the front of the LED without sucess. I found some thinwall brass tubing which just fit through the tail threads and cleared the spring and beat the heck out of it, again without sucess. I got out my flashlight and took a closer look inside. The brass tube was hitting a shoulder which was part of the body itself. The body has an undercut inside in which the piece of straw is retained. Looking at the very front .010" or so of the metal body, It looked like a small bezel ring may have been threaded or pressed-in. I managed to grab the slight bezel protrusion in a 9/32 5C collet in the lathe, and on attempting to unscrew it, it came out. (It was pressed and I didn't see any evidence of Locktite, etc.)

On to the mod. The LED looks to be the usual T 1 3/4 Nichia or clone and the anode(+) lead was cut and folded-back on itself so the spring would fit tightly on it. The cathode lead is bent around completely towards the front of the LED and a flat was filed on the LED's flange for it to fit against. Insufficient flat and the LED will end up slightly cocked in the bezel. (Don't ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I had a few of the MJLED (ISP?) unmodified LEDs and installed one and pressed it back together. With fresh Duracells in both lights, it was beamshot showdown time! If the "stock" Nichia hadn't won, you'd have a beamshot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

For those without lathes and collets, I was able to take it back apart using a 1/16" pin punch which will fit in beside the spring and against the LED and some small ChannelLock pliers to hold the body. This left some minor scratches which will sand out easily.

I didn't bother to measure current and suspect the Zinc-air cells aren't capable of enough of it for the ISP(?) LED. I figure others here will find the most appropriate LED for hopping-up these things. (Suggestions welcome!)

Larry

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the MJLED has more output or is more efficient that the 26,000 type LEDs? Or are they one in the same?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My *limited* understanding from what I have read here is the MJLED is less efficient, but does have, or have been selected/binned for lower Vf to light-up bitchin on 3V. They have a very large die compared to Nichias etc. I re-modded it with a "super bright" green of unremembered heritage, and it is of similar *brightness* to stock. The ideal will be to find the most efficient- Lumens/Watt 5mm LED available for them. I am open to suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Point of the post was (yeah, long winded) "how to get it apart." The 1/16" pin punch against the back of the LED seems to do the job.

Larry

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

Wow. That certainly IS a small light, isn't it? Neat. Sorry, but not knowin' nothing bout LED's I can't offer any suggestions. All I can say is, "Neat!"

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... it sure won't get any smaller anytime soon.
You new EDC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
bernie

bucken

Enlightened
tvodrd,

Thanks for posting the pics and especially the hints about removing the LED. I want to try this as soon as I get some time.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
It's an easy mod if the press fit of the front bezel ring isn't too tight. A 1/16" dia pin punch will clear the spring and bear against the LED. Once it's apart and you see how he did it, mod's a snap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Need my hands on on of those 26K MCD LEDs to try.)

Larry

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
(Need my hands on on of those 26K MCD LEDs to try.)
Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

I can send you some 26K mcd LED's to play with, along with my light if you'll mod it also. Let me know where to send and I'll have the works in the mail tomorrow.

I got some keychain lights modded with 26K mcd lights from KevinL - they are brighter than my streamlight Keymate.

Jim