Firefly and High dome LED

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone swap the led in the firefly with a high dome? How tough was it to center? The fit between the head and the sandwich seems a bit tight which would make centering a very precise and time consuming operation.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for replying, ufo. I'm doing a mod for another CPF'er and kinda got in over my head I think. I'm a stickler for centering and I'm wondering if this will take up an entire evening just to center the da** thing. Anyone else want to chime in? Seems like a lot of R2H's in MM's and BB's going into Mag mods. Methinks centering there is also problematic for other reasons.

CM

PeterB

Enlightened
I've also swapped mine to a R2H. It's very bright, and has a long throw. Really amazing for such a small light. But it isn't centered and I have no idea how to center it... But I can live with it.

d'mo

Enlightened
I swapped a high dome into mine. It took me well over an hour to center it properly. Basically, I looked at the beam pattern on a wall and noted where the hotspot rested in the squareish corona, and using the internal LED bond wires for reference, tweeked it ever so slightly towards the center. It must have been taken apart 30-40 times before I was satisfied. Not much fun, but well worth the effort.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'm going for it. Heck, what's a couple of hours, anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I centered my R2H on the sandwich as best as I could using the lead holes as a guideline, and got it pretty darn close. I have found that there is just a bit of play between the optics and the head of the FF, and if I move the optic ever so slightly, I can center the hotspot inside of the square grill as close to the center as possible. Seems to work OK for me... Maybe I just happened to center the HD on the sandwich perfectly the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have not actually seen a Firefly except in pics here. IMO, the beam with a HD and -05 improves with the optic moved forward about .070". Lens gasket compression seems to be controlled by dimensional stack of when the bezel bottoms out. Is it possible to make a spacer ring for the optic, and if so, would the rear of the bezel still cover its O-ring? It is potentially death for the optic to actually bear on the LS in the Firefly as I understand it due to risk of losing heatsinking. You guys say that centering is a b***h- Either I have been real lucky (and am headed for a future fall), or spacing it out helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

Latest posts