• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

FireFly assembly help please..

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I just got my parts from the shoppe and I really like this light so far. I know it should be easy however I have no instructions on how to assemble this light. I have put it together and it works but I have a few questions. I bought several extra O-Rings that were labeled as a "better fit" and I really do not know where they go as the parts came already fashioned with O-Rings attatched that fit fine. I also have a metal sandwich retaining ring that works fine and I bought a sandwich retaining O-Ring also. I put the O-Ring inside the bezel where the metal retainer would fit and it just falls right out when I turn the head upside down??? Is there some kind of trick to using this O-Ring to keep the sandwich inside the head? I really did not notice any problem in using the metal retaining ring so what is the advantage of using the O-Ring over the retaining clip? I kind of went overboard when purchasing these parts and I got a few extra O-Rings that I probably did not need. I have many left over after assembly and I am wondering if I have this light assembled correct. Can some one give me a guide starting at the Bezel working backwards and include each part in order? Let me give you what I have done and tell me if I am missing anything. I began with the bezel,then an O-Ring,then the lense,then the optic went inside to rest directly against the lens,now the copper part with 2 O-Rings already attatched,now drop in the sandwich,then the metal retaining clip. After this the only part left is the body. Is this correct? I thought there may be an O-Ring between the lense and the optic maybe? Ok to sum it up how many O-Rings should be inside this light when complete and where do I use these O-Rings that said "better fit" on the order? Also is this sandwich O-Ring supposed to hold this sandwich solidly in place?? Thanks for any help and as usual I have a new favorite light...

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you got it right Noel, there is a good pic here.

I assumed the "better fit" rings were the ones (one) that sealed the battery tube, but I found the stock ones to work better. Forget about the sandwich retaining o-ring, in my experience it's pretty much useless. I also would not recommend using the "stock" ring (the one with the two holes in it) as the "tabs" on it can short circuit your sammy, which will kill it. You want to use a retainer ring like the one in the photo.

Have you installed the two-stage switch yet? If so, how is it working?

Peter

Robocop

I was in such a hurry that I placed my order and realized I had forgot the switch and the CR2 body. I have an additional order in the works and I am adding these parts and a few other goodies. The retaining ring is the one with the tabs or two holes. It works ok for now but I do not know where to get the type in the above photo. The cut down optic suprised me and is actually pretty nice.I am working on the reflector mod and hope to finish tonight. I really like the simple approach to this light as well as the ability to be modular with many user available options. These little sandwiches are incredible and I was suprised at just how small it is. Thanks for the help Peter and I hope to place my order for the switches a few extra emitters Monday.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey robo, sounds like you have it figured out pretty well.

FYI: the difference between the original stock o-ring and the more recent "better fit" is that the newer ones are slightly smaller so allow the battery holder to turn more easily against the heatsink. the original ones fit so tight that they had to be kept lubed to use them one-handed. on the other hand, they didn't turn on by accident in the pocket. it was all just a matter of personal choice.

and in my use, i've had no luck with the rubber o-ring retaining the sammie. i much prefer the metal c-clip but i also silicone the metal contacts in the back of the sammie so it won't accidently short out if touched.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, guys,

Robo, your assembly order is correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The "better fit" O-rings are a holdover from the FF1, since the ones I chose originally were pretty snug. The FF2 comes with the smaller (better fit) O-rings already installed. Your spares can be replacements. When replacing them, the larger diameter one goes on the bezel end.

Retaining rings - use the ring included with the head while you are determining which sandwich you want to use, then switch to the other metal ring (without lugs) for your permanent carry. It will be sure not to short the sammie. I don't use the O-ring for retaining the sammie, myself, but to use it, you would press it in under the rim of the head, so it stays in place. It should give a sort of spring pressure to hold the sandwich in place, if pressed in right.

Robocop

Thanks for the help on this and thanks again for the incredible light and other items as well. I like the turned down optic pretty well however I am working on this reflector as I type this. If I get it correct I will try to get a few pics up shortly. I will get many hours of enjoyment from this light and plan on putting all the other parts to good use. Thanks again for the excellent service Wayne and I am planning my next order very soon.

Robocop

Ok this light is even more incredible with the reflector I managed to fit inside the bezel part. I am trying to get some pics up shortly and will compare the cut down optic vs reflector. I did mine a little different as I had to remove a little from the front due to a little over-aggressive sanding. The entire reflector slid down into the bezel pretty tightly with a thin line of copper showing above the edge. When looked at from the front the reflector fills up the bezel nicely and the beam is much improved. The problem is that with the optic a small lip protrudes out from the copper part and contacts the lens. This keeps the head part nice and tight however when using this reflector the lip is no longer there and the bezel screws down a little farther. I tried an o-ring but it did not work very well. I am happy with this reflector for now however plan on trying a few different techniques with some spares I have. It is very hard with simple hand tools but the end result is worth it. I do hope a more complete drop in type will some day be available but for now this works for me.

simbad

Enlightened
I have modded the stock retaining ring (the one with the lugs) with a Dremmel, grinding the ends to make them narrower to avoid contact with the metal parts, I´ve just left half of the little holes to take the ring off with the pliers.
Just to check, I also made a mark with a thin marker pen between the sandwich/ret.ring and the copper head, I used to check it frecuently and I could see that they didn´t spin even a milimeter after using the light for few days

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector rules in the FF~2. Hopefully the FF~3 will come with a reflector as standard equipment.

Peter

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo, I'm glad to see you are pleased with the FF2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For the reflector, if you can find a 16x1mm O-ring, you may find it fits between the lens and copper head, and stops the lens from rattling. That should fill up the extra space nicely.

Simbad - good idea re: trimming the lugs. That's the only problem with using the other type of retaining rings - no place to grip with pliers to remove the ring.

Peter - I am planning to use some kind of reflector in the FF3. I may end up having to redesign the head to allow this, so I don't know if it will be backward compatible. I am planning some other changes to the FF3, so we'll see what happens.

Red_Dot

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:
I am planning to use some kind of reflector in the FF3. I may end up having to redesign the head to allow this, so I don't know if it will be backward compatible. I am planning some other changes to the FF3, so we'll see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug - wow, great to hear you mention a reflector for the FF3, I'm really looking forward to the FF3, also hope it remains in the affordable range like the FF2. Keep us posted with your FF3 developments ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR2 body is at the Sandwich Shoppe. I just got one in the mail yesterday. It is a cute little bugger. You can get the premium or the seconds CR2 body. I got the premium. In fact I like the little light so much I ended up going back to the Shoppe and getting another bezel, heat sink and lens to make a second FF~2.

Latest posts