First 18650 light.

Wurkkos

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

With the right charger and a protected cell, an 18650 can be safer than a alkaline

+2 although I m not concerned about the unprotected batteries, I actually prefer them as they actually use more stable chemistry and protection is not needed. I strongly point out however that I ALWAYS get my batteries from authorized dealers and do not touch counterfeits. This goes for any kind of phone chargers, cables, lithium batteries, etc. and I don’t buy these off of eBay or amazon as then it becomes risky.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 although I m not concerned about the unprotected batteries, I actually prefer them as they actually use more stable chemistry and protection is not needed. I strongly point out however that I ALWAYS get my batteries from authorized dealers and do not touch counterfeits. This goes for any kind of phone chargers, cables, lithium batteries, etc. and I don’t buy these off of eBay or amazon as then it becomes risky.

Yea I almost always go to Craig [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may seem silly at first but there is a ton of wisdom at looking at reasons to avoid so called protected cells. I would advise you seriously consider using a light which is designed for lithium ion and includes the voltage monitoring and management built in.
1. Protected cell introduces a mechanical point of failure. Adding a protection circuit requires adding a flat wire down the length of cell which comes from the positive side. It is insulated with a strip of kapton tape, if anything happens to it you have a direct short.
2. The protection circuit has far less engineering expertise than the original cell. Do you know where the parts and ics on the protection circuit came from? Are they of high quality and from a name brand/manufacturer?
3. Increase impact sensitivity. Because a protection circuit is mechanical in nature it adds an additional failure point. Crush the circuit at best your cell stops working at worse you create a short somewhere.
4. Decrease performance. Protection circuits add measureable resistance to your circuit and because the circuit includes a current limiting feature they cannot be used in high performance lights.
5. Decrease effeciency. Powering the circuit consumes power that would otherwise go to your light.
6. Increased size. Ton of lights out there simply arent designed for the added size both vertically and horizontally

Buy from a reputable distributor and from a large brand like Samsung, LG, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony etc

mountaindewer

Newly Enlightened
It may seem silly at first but there is a ton of wisdom at looking at reasons to avoid so called protected cells. I would advise you seriously consider using a light which is designed for lithium ion and includes the voltage monitoring and management built in.
1. Protected cell introduces a mechanical point of failure. Adding a protection circuit requires adding a flat wire down the length of cell which comes from the positive side. It is insulated with a strip of kapton tape, if anything happens to it you have a direct short.
2. The protection circuit has far less engineering expertise than the original cell. Do you know where the parts and ics on the protection circuit came from? Are they of high quality and from a name brand/manufacturer?
3. Increase impact sensitivity. Because a protection circuit is mechanical in nature it adds an additional failure point. Crush the circuit at best your cell stops working at worse you create a short somewhere.
4. Decrease performance. Protection circuits add measureable resistance to your circuit and because the circuit includes a current limiting feature they cannot be used in high performance lights.
5. Decrease effeciency. Powering the circuit consumes power that would otherwise go to your light.
6. Increased size. Ton of lights out there simply arent designed for the added size both vertically and horizontally

Buy from a reputable distributor and from a large brand like Samsung, LG, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony etc

Well, I was able to maintain a slight sense of security with lithium ion lights over the past few months, but that's out the window now, thanks lol.