first betty now Sidney Poitier

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so good i loved in the heat of the night even loved the tv show with carol o conner i watch the reruns everyday well not on weekends it is not on then

raggie33

*the raggedier*
whats weird is a few days ago i was looking for his twitter name to tell him how much he meant to me but didnt find any info.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
They're old. Average lifespan is 70 something. Their expiration dates passed long ago.

If you walk through a cemetery you'll see more old folks die in winter on average.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
They're old. Average lifespan is 70 something. Their expiration dates passed long ago.

If you walk through a cemetery you'll see more old folks die in winter on average.
The average lifespan includes early deaths due to accidents. The best way to get an idea of the age people die at is to look at actuarial tables. That has most people who make it past about 50 living into the mid or late 80s. Being that celebrities can afford to take better care of themselves, we're seeing quite a few making it well into their 90s.

I heard if we eliminated the primary causes of premature death (cancer and heart disease), the average lifespan would be 100 to 110. That's when the body just plain wears out.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard about this yesterday. Great actor, even better person. Why are all the great ones dying lately?
I thought the same thing when my Mom died. If God is good, why does He take away those we love? My Mom died from colon cancer. Her eyes were yellow from jaundice the last time I saw her and she was in a lot of pain. The day after her funeral service, we had the Witch Creek fire (2008) force us to evacuate from home for 5 days. We were some of around a million people running for their lives. After we got home, we realized how lucky we were to survive and still had a home. Many, including friends weren’t as lucky. If my Mom were alive, she wouldn’t have been able to be moved for the evacuation. Her death would have been a great deal worse. Sometimes God takes our loved ones away to spare them the pain of what would have come next. They are no longer suffering and are waiting for a reunion in paradise.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I thought the same thing when my Mom died. If God is good, why does He take away those we love? My Mom died from colon cancer. Her eyes were yellow from jaundice the last time I saw her and she was in a lot of pain. The day after her funeral service, we had the Witch Creek fire (2008) force us to evacuate from home for 5 days. We were some of around a million people running for their lives. After we got home, we realized how lucky we were to survive and still had a home. Many, including friends weren’t as lucky. If my Mom were alive, she wouldn’t have been able to be moved for the evacuation. Her death would have been a great deal worse. Sometimes God takes our loved ones away to spare them the pain of what would have come next. They are no longer suffering and are waiting for a reunion in paradise.
I lost an uncle in February 2020 and thought something similar. I'm not a religious person, but I said to myself he left at the right time, just before the disaster that was the pandemic hit. His wife of 73+ years is still alive, but fortunately in her mental state (similar to my mother) she's mostly oblivious to what's going on. He wouldn't have been. He had all his faculties. He was in the same long-term care facility as my aunt. He probably would have spent his days worrying if they might catch covid, watching the news, basically living in a real-life disaster movie. That probably would have killed him in short order, and it would have been a much less peaceful death.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
When my mom passed, a friend said to me that there will be times that you can just sense her presence.

I found that comforting. At times I would try to sense her presence. Maybe I did? It wasn't often. At any rate, I pass that on to others when they lose someone, otherwise all I can say is "I'm sorry. It just sucks"