first betty now Sidney Poitier

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost an uncle in February 2020 and thought something similar. I'm not a religious person, but I said to myself he left at the right time, just before the disaster that was the pandemic hit. His wife of 73+ years is still alive, but fortunately in her mental state (similar to my mother) she's mostly oblivious to what's going on. He wouldn't have been. He had all his faculties. He was in the same long-term care facility as my aunt. He probably would have spent his days worrying if they might catch covid, watching the news, basically living in a real-life disaster movie. That probably would have killed him in short order, and it would have been a much less peaceful death.
I’m sorry for your loss. The worst thing in the world is to lose a loved one, and have questions about where they went when they passed and if you’ll ever see them again. It’s a lot easier to move on when you know those answers for sure. I didn’t know your uncle, and I make no judgments, but I pray he’s in a better place.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I’m sorry for your loss. The worst thing in the world is to lose a loved one, and have questions about where they went when they passed and if you’ll ever see them again. It’s a lot easier to move on when you know those answers for sure. I didn’t know your uncle, and I make no judgments, but I pray he’s in a better place.
I'll always have my memories of my uncle. To be sure, I saw him a lot more when I was a kid than recently. Last time I saw him was I think six or seven years before he died. That's the last time my mom was able to go to any family functions.

My thoughts when someone dies rarely run towards whether I will ever see them or not. Rather, I think of the pointlessness of it all. You live, you acquire knowledge, sometimes you have offspring, but it's all for nothing when you die and everything you were is gone forever (no, I don't feel there is anything after death and the science points in that direction). To me the only life with meaning is one without end but medical science hasn't gotten us there yet. I think how great it would be if all these people whose passing we mourned were still with us. And all the animals we loved also. I lost a cat that was very special to me last February 23. I really still haven't come close to recovering from it. It would certainly give me comfort if there were tangible evidence something of her still exists, even if I can't see it. Same thing for all those I cared about who are gone now, like my father. Can consciousness continue to exist in some other dimension? The emotional part of me hopes so, the rational part thinks not.

Anyway, thanks for the sentiments. I too hope something of him still exists, and is in a better place.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
When my mom passed, a friend said to me that there will be times that you can just sense her presence.

I found that comforting. At times I would try to sense her presence. Maybe I did? It wasn't often. At any rate, I pass that on to others when they lose someone, otherwise all I can say is "I'm sorry. It just sucks"
I've thought at times I sensed the presence of my cat who died last February. But it could also be wishful thinking on my part. If I hear purring next to me one night, or hear her walking across the bed, I'll know for sure.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is a after life this is one thinh i know for sure. when betty died her lawt word was alen i know becuase she was seeing him

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought at times I sensed the presence of my cat who died last February. But it could also be wishful thinking on my part. If I hear purring next to me one night, or hear her walking across the bed, I'll know for sure.
When my aunt died, her daughter (my cousin) was at the airport with her husband and child (I think he was 3 years old at the time). The boy was nearby looking at what appeared to be nothing. His mother saw him wave with nobody there and heard him say “Bye Grandma”. It was then she got the call that her mother had died. When she told her son his Grandmother had died, he wasn’t surprised because he already knew. He told her he saw his Grandma and she told him she had died. This event freaked her out and she told everybody she knew about it. I know for a fact there is life after death. That is my family’s personal experience on the matter.

Edit: Remembering back, I remember the boy’s first words to his Mother when she was about to tell him the news were, “Grandma’s dead”. Then he started crying.

Last edited: