First Impressions, Vapcell INR 16340 High Discharge rate LiIon

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, the keepowers are indeed protected and about 35mm if not more. My aw s are not protected but I can run the keepowers in 2 of the custom tubes I had made. (2mm longer than factory).
The TMax and the Tomahawks both need 2 batteries due to voltage. 1x 17670 will work for a bit in the 425 Tomahawk but the TMax immediately goes onto lockout mode and won't work. The 26650 works in the 425 but not for long.
This is its way to let you know to change the batteries. I ve pushed my aw inr s to the point that the light stays in lockout and won't turn on. They read 0% when I put them in the VP 4 Dragon charger but so far no problems or short life. I m actually using the Tomahawk and TMax more than the HDS lights.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The First Lights were designed to use primaries but it's the voltage that's an issue. First Light said no problem with rechargeables and not to worry about frying the light but they need around 7v or so to work and not 3.7

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
They read 0% when I put them in the VP 4 Dragon charger

0 volts tells me that the Overdischarge Protection built into the batteries was triggered to cut the circuit.

The 0 volts is true, but not the real internal voltage, the batteries just blew their fuses. Immediately after your charger reset the fuse, you would have seen the batteries were actually above 2.5v

imo you should only use protected LiIon, the light itself will not protect them
it is designed to work with the lower voltage CR123 primaries, and it has no overdischarge protection circuit for LiIon. It relies on your using Protected batteries if you want to use rechargeables.

they need around 7v or so to work and not 3.7
the light you have is a 2 cell, therefore with LiIon the max voltage it sees is 8.4v
I checked, and the light has a max voltage of 10v, so agree, 2x Rechargeable is fine

fwiw, 2x CR123 have a max voltage of 6.6v

there is no overvoltage problem in using LiIon, they wont fry the light, but I would definitely only use protected cells, because otherwise the light can fry the batteries

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine have just arrived.
vapcell.jpg

I can't imagine there will be much to report, unless they're rubbish, which they won't be.
P

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@jon,
Interesting.... and thank you for explaining however I wanted to say that I do use aw unprotected imr also with no issues "so far" 🤭

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Peter, congrats on joining the Club of the Unprotected Cell

@Steve, I also use unprotected IMR at times. They are not risky in a light with built in low voltage shutoff, such as my Novatacs

otoh, I still like to use protected cells in lights with no built in protection, such as my RRT-01

in fact, yesterday one of my RRT-01 would not turn on. I tested the protected 16340 and it was at zero volts.

after a couple seconds on a charger it was at 3.39 volts. This tells me the protection was tripped by a high brightness demand.

I had left the light tailstanding at about 200 lumens, and forgot about it, while writing another brilliant post in an online forum, about flashlight batteries.. LOL

no harm done.
just another "senior moment"
or as I like to dissimulate, "Granny borrowed my light and fell asleep with it on." There is actually no Granny, just me.. LOL!

enjoy your batteries
use protection, when appropriate, to reduce the risk of operator errors ;-)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using one at the moment, got them from NKON.
Not much to report - they work. Hopefully I'll get a smigen more runtime than from my AWTs. We'll see.
P

NoahVail

Newly Enlightened
I ordered 4 Vapcell 16340 7A from 18650batterystore @ $3.99 ea. Shipping was $4.31 for 1 or 10 so I added 4 18650s to the order.
Placed the order after 7pm on a Fri. They were shipped Sat morning & I got them that Mon (today).

The only test I can run is on my XTar charger. A ½A charge->discharge (to 2.6v) showed 762 mAh capacity.

Test driving 2 cells in a 1W 520nm Jetlaser PL-E laser tonight.

undertherain

Newly Enlightened
I purchased 12 of these batteries for 3 of my Netgear Arlo cameras (the first version that works with 4 non-rechargeable CR123s).
I thought I would do something nice while the 4 batteries discharge after a few days (as soon as they are inserted they are already 95%).
To recharge them I bought an XTAR VC4S.
Can you give me some advice?
Does anyone use them with Netgear Arlo?
What can I do?
Thanks!

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Sorry to dig up an old thread, would these be a good replacement of aw imr 16340? To use in my Surefire e1e with single nichia219 , and a triple led xpl-hi emitter17ddm driver? Are they protected or no need in use with these lights/set up ?

thanks all

undertherain

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dig up an old thread, would these be a good replacement of aw imr 16340? To use in my Surefire e1e with single nichia219 , and a triple led xpl-hi emitter17ddm driver? Are they protected or no need in use with these lights/set up ?

thanks all
I had taken several of these batteries months ago for my Netgear Arlo cameras.
My opinion is mixed: on some rooms they had a good duration, on others bad (and I think they were original to be honest).
However, now I have made the batteries disappear by reselling them and I also have all the Arlo cameras for sale.
Only Xiaomi now, another life.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
would these be a good replacement of aw imr 16340? To use in my Surefire e1e with single nichia219 , and a triple led xpl-hi emitter17ddm driver? Are they protected or no need in use with these lights/set up ?

yes they are interchangeable with IMR 16340, no they are not protected, neither are your IMR afaik

I have no experience nor info whether or not your nichia driver has built in low voltage shutoff circuits.

I googled 17mm ddm and that one says it has Low Voltage protection
"Standard Clicky Firmware Low Voltage Protection. At around 3V under load, the light will blink three times then step down the power level. At around 2.8V under load the light will blink ten times then shut off. This system gives you ample warning and attempts to extend runtime before turning the light off. "

Latest posts