First Light Tomahawk and T-max flashlights...

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought one of the "NV" (night vision) versions of the First Light Tomahawk after checking one out that a buddy had.

It it very well-made and quite bright. Works very well with my PVS-14 in IR mode also.

I was considering buying another one for regular use (non NV model) but have found the manufacturer's literature very ambiguous and confusing as to which models allow *independent* use of various LED colors, one at a time.

For instance, their "MC" (multi-color) version is supposed to be available in red and green and also in red and blue LEDs. However, a seller on ebay shows the MC version in red only (no blue and no green available on that light).

I also would like to have the strobe option, but am not sure which models have it. I think their comparison sheet showed a couple of models with it available...not sure if the MC version was one of them.

Anyway, the vest mount option works very nicely and the UV task light is neat too.

Wondering if anyone else has bought one of these lights and what you think about them. I saw another thread on here, but it didn't really cover which models have separate colors of LEDs available. The one I got has red and green available, but only at the same time. I don't really care for that. Yes, I know why they did it...I still want separate colors available like I have on my Kroma mil-spec. :)

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Re: First Light Tomahawk

I have the original MC and NV models. The MC I have has red/blue LEDs and they operate either red or blue separate and both at the same time(kinda Purpleish) with 3 levels of brightness My NV only has red and IR leds and they only operate one or the other. I like them a lot great hands free light and I still take mine on edc in my kit. Not as bright as the newer stuff but its a compact right angle that fits a niche that others cant

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I ended up ordering one of the LE models as I could not find a MC model with red and blue LEDs for a reasonable price.

Should work well for my needs. Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about these in the past. They are really nice little lights!

FPSRelic

Enlightened

They are great lights. I have the CV version, similar to the LE version but with red and green LED's as opposed to red and blue. I dead keen on getting a T-MAX to see what they're like. Have you checked those out? Same setup as the Tomahawk, but with all three colours of LED's, and a brighter white.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

did you get it for 99$ on $Bay?

Good deal if you did

My Tomahawk and either SF Fury or E2D defender ultra are a covers almost any Contingency combo

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep...that was me (the $99 LE version)...:)

I think you're right...this has me second-guessing whether I want to hang onto my other Surefire lights. I have an M2, M3, Kroma mil-spec, and M1 (IR)...the M1 is extremely bright for IR though...thinking I might need to start thinking about selling the others though. But I'm sure I'll regret it if I do...I am very bad at making decisions on what to keep and what to sell...

FPSRelic

Enlightened

$99 for the LE version is a steal! I paid retail for mine, and I still think it's worth it.

Personally I'd hold onto the Surefires - can't go past that tactical 2 position tailcap switch on the Kroma IMO ;) and the M2 with a Z44 and your favourite P60 drop in makes a good host.

Having said that, every time I look at a Kroma, I just can't bring myself to buy it as I have the Tomahawk. Putting aside the lumens difference, the Tomahawk appears to be better suited for operating a firearm than the M2 or M3 is, and with your choice of TRS, you can use the Tomahawk hands free. Only thing I sometimes wish is that I had the GP or ST version with white light only - as I use white light the most, and the "press the constant on button for a second" thing gets a bit annoying if you use white light the most.

geisto

Newly Enlightened

I got a Tomahawk NV and the only knock I have is the light must fed CR123s and the runtime on high mode is so-so. The UI gets all screwy when running a single 17650.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I understand about feeding lights CR123s...it can get expensive.

Despite that, I just broke down and ordered a T-max!!! What is wrong with me??? :)

So...now I will DEFINITELY (not "defiantly"..."definitely"...:) ) need to go through all my lights and sell off the ones that never get used. I do think I will hang onto the M2, as FPSRelic suggested...would make a great host for an LED drop-in.

The 2-stage switch on the Kroma is nice, but...I think I'll have just about everything covered between the T-max and my NV Tomahawk. Oh, and I ordered a mag-mount and MOLLE blade mount while I was at it.

geisto

Newly Enlightened

I always liked the small anglehead form factor of the Tomahawks. It's like a modern version of the Fulton anglehead.

The T-max is definitely a beast...and hungry for CR123s. Looking forward to a review of it if you get a chance. :)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will try to do a review of the T-max at some point...

The Fulton angle head flashlight I have is going to be first on the list to get sold. I got so sick of lugging that thing around! Back a long time ago when I went to basic, I took a Surefire L1 w/red LED...my drill sergeants seemed impressed with it. I stupidly sold it later though...it was black HA and the "4 flats" version. I miss it, but I will miss it a whole lot less when my T-max gets here. :)

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a Tomahawk NV and the only knock I have is the light must fed CR123s and the runtime on high mode is so-so. The UI gets all screwy when running a single 17650.

You can run the Tomahawks with 2 x Rcr123 as driver is ok with the higher voltage.

I bought 18 of the LE version when they sold off several hundred units of the original UI to make room for new UI. The only thing changed on the new UI was a double click from lockout gives you the red LEDs which the original Ui won't do (Not really a major change). Not sure about the Tmax but the LE runs at about 1 amp so they may have bumped up the drive level a little on the Tmax.

JayRob has modified three units with Xp-g2 & Xlm2 LEDs that gave more lumens and much better tint than the stock units. Tint with the P4 Seoul stock emitter is on the purple side. Hope they put a better tint on the Tmax.

Great shooters light and very versatile with quick output change settings using the three button system. Awesome under-rated light!

FPSRelic

Enlightened

SNAP! I ordered a T-MAX too, with Molle blade but without Magnet TRS, as I already have one of those. I got the LE version. I plan on using the Molle blade on my Maxpedition Jumbo.

I saw the TORQ on their website today - 2AA's with the same brightness as the Tomahawk. Must....resist.....

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I've been testing out the Tomahawk LE and it is also a neat little light. Now I have to decide whether I want to keep these two (the NV and LE) AND the T-max LE...or sell one.

I hate decisions like this...I need folks to buy some of the gear I have listed on over on cpfm so I can justify keeping these. :) (These take up a lot less space than the stuff I'm selling.)

One nice thing about the T-max LE is it has red, blue, and green all available independently, as well as white. I think I'll probably end up carrying it mostly and the NV will be used on my LBE.

I am going to make a copy of their medical admin pouch (probably in Multicam) this evening. :)

geisto

Newly Enlightened

True but RCR123 has less capacity. My NV had been modded with a XPG-S2 which had a better tint and brightness.

Price is too high at full retail but there are deals that comes and goes.

You can run the Tomahawks with 2 x Rcr123 as driver is ok with the higher voltage.

I bought 18 of the LE version when they sold off several hundred units of the original UI to make room for new UI. The only thing changed on the new UI was a double click from lockout gives you the red LEDs which the original Ui won't do (Not really a major change). Not sure about the Tmax but the LE runs at about 1 amp so they may have bumped up the drive level a little on the Tmax.

JayRob has modified three units with Xp-g2 & Xlm2 LEDs that gave more lumens and much better tint than the stock units. Tint with the P4 Seoul stock emitter is on the purple side. Hope they put a better tint on the Tmax.

Great shooters light and very versatile with quick output change settings using the three button system. Awesome under-rated light!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I received my T-max LE yesterday and it is GREAT!!! I also ordered the mag mount and MOLLE blade mount. I thought I would talk about those two also as I have not seen any information on them anywhere else on the web when I was doing my research. Even their own website doesn't really show how the blade mount works at all.

So...I have obtained three different mounting methods for these lights. The mounts are able to be used with all T-max and Tomahawk lights. There is also a Tek-loc belt mount, but I did not order it...all it is is the platform screwed onto a Tek-loc. I can make that myself with an extra Tek-loc and one of these other mounts.

The three mount types that I have are:
MOLLE TRS
MOLLE Blade
Magnetic Mount

The actual mounting platform itself is the same between the three mounts (and the Tek-loc belt mount).

The MOLLE TRS has the platform mounted onto a couple of Tactical Tailor MALICE clips. Sort of bulky and I don't particularly like MALICE clips as a rule...

The MOLLE "Blade" mount has the platform mounted onto a flat, plastic device which has standard MOLLE-spaced plastic "teeth" on it, for lack of a better word...those "teeth" feed into two MOLLE channels and then slides shut to secure the loose ends of the teeth. It is a complete pain in the ### to unfasten that thing though...it has two Chicago screws that I had to try to loosen to open it back up...unfortunately, the screws did not have slots so there was no way to hold them still while loosening the screws. Still, it is a low-profile, secure, solid MOLLE mount for the light and I prefer it to the TRS one.

The magnetic mount is just neat...I forsee using this in a HMMWV while on patrol as a TC...it would be perfect for reading maps at night while maintaining "tactical" posture. The platform is mounted to a set of four VERY heavy-duty magnets. They are surrounded by rubber so will not mar paint, etc. and it is also quieter than having bare magnets hitting metal when you place it somewhere.

With all of these mounts, the light will swivel around 180° so you can aim the light where you need it. You can also turn the platform 90° on the TRS in case you need 180° left/right sweep instead of up/down.

Hope that all made sense...if anyone has any questions, please PM me and I will try to answer them...really liking the T-max a lot though. I think this is going to be my new EDC light.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any more details on the T-MAX LE? Does it have a floody or throwy beam? Are you going to sell your Tomahawk LE now?

Yeah, I've been considering selling the Tomahawk LE as its functions are duplicated (and expanded) with the T-Max LE...I may be selling it shortly...

The T-max has a pretty bright hotspot, so I'd say it's mostly "throw"...I haven't tried it outside yet, so will give it a shot tonight. It does have some flood too though. The colored LED's are more flood and good for nearby illumination. I'll be using it during "tactical" exercises to maintain "light discipline". The good thing about the UI is that even when the light is locked-out to prevent turning it on accidentally, you can still access whichever secondary LED colors you've selected (and ONLY) those LED's by double-clicking the power button. This is handy when you want no chance of white light coming on.

Not sure if that helps much...I'll try it outside tonight and try to get some pics...though I don't really take very good comparison pics. I'll try to though...

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, well I was able to compare these two lights (Tomahawk NV and T-max LE) and the LE is definitely a lot brighter with more throw.

I will try to do some comparison shots this weekend when I'll have more time outside after dark to do them...