First post and first purchase

Sbman

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just joined the forum and wanted to share my recent purchase and background.

The last light I bought was about 7 years ago... Thor X 10mcp from the discount club store for about $60. I did not know anything about flashlights back then but could tell that light had to be bright so I wanted it. From the first day I was very impressed with this light. At the time my flashlight experience was based on a 1mcp cheapo and some old maglites. I can't say that I really used the Thor X a ton (not really an everyday light) but I still had fun because of the power. Well about 4 weeks ago I decided to see what lights were now available after 7+ years had passed. I spent nearly 8 hours the first weekend looking at flashlights online and watching light videos. My wife thought I flipped my lid :ironic:. At that point I was hooked on getting a new light. I went round and round trying to decide on the right light. Tough to decide when you are new to the subject and when you consider all the trade offs such as lumens, run time, light size, beam throw, cost and on and on. A buddy was trying to convince me to buy a Surefire Tactical light rated at around 200 lumens. Although this is a high quality light I knew this light was not in the category I wanted (i.e. brighter is better). Ultimately I was looking for another bright light that is perhaps a bit more practical than my Thor X. I did consider an HID but I really wanted something a litter smaller and "more practical".

After considering many lights (including the Olight SR90 and SR92) I decided to go for the Fenix TK70 instead. The performance and price are very good and I was fine with all the other factors mentioned above. I kind of like the idea of using the common D size batteries. You just know that D batteries will only get better as time goes on which means my light run time will as well. I bought an eight pack of the Tenergy Premium 10,000mah batteries and a charger. It turns out the light will be a Christmas present from Mrs. Claus. Two more days and I get to finally check it out. Can't wait!

Now for a question... Does anyone have an idea how the TK70 will compare to my old Thor X 10mcp in terms of overall throw, hot spot, spill, practical brightness? I am hoping the TK70 will hold it's own or maybe even surpass the Thor X. Tough to say when you are just looking at pictures online of newer lights. I looked for this comparison but did not find anything. Maybe I can post a comparison if anyone is curious.

Thanks guys

Al