Fisher Space Pen

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Space Pen for 5 years or so. My first ink cartridge blobbed (black medium point), but the fine tip replacement is perfect. I used it in the ambulance also, it will write on anything, through any bodily fluid. I saw the wallet on the web site, may have to get one of those.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
The Cross Ion does have a key or neck ring attachment that snaps on to the tip of the pen.

I would buy a Fisher if they came out with a RollerBall. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen one.

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
.....Jumpmaster said:
Actually...I think MicroE may be referring to this Fisher pen...
afp5.jpg

JM-99....

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumpmaster is correct. This is the one I meant. By the way, this pen is made in JAPAN.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today, very nice, writes smoothly with no blobbing. I opened it up, simple solid design. But I honestly don't see what the fuss is, unless you just like metal pens or need something that writes when wet. I like my Pilot easy touch(2/$1.99) as much if not more. I'll probably put it up in b/s/t.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone on USN pointed out that Lamy has the best ballpoint refills going, a sentiment with which I heartily agree. The Lamys are not pressurized like the Fishers, but unlike the Fishers I've handled, the Lamy refills are smooth as silk, never skipping or blotching. I've found no ballpoint pen refills that can compete with Lamy, from any company. I plan to check out a Pico, hopefully Lamy's gel ink rollerball refills are also great.

My fave non-ballpoint at the moment is the fairly cheap Parker P-700 fine point, a gel ink rollerball.

My experience with Fisher refills has not been good.

Joe

simbad

Enlightened
Re: tkl

It is a very rough pen, I carry mine since a couple of years ago and writes even on concrete or wet and greasy surfaces, another usefull gadget.

sotyakr

Enlightened

Glad this thread came up. I was thinking about getting a new pen and had forgotten that I had a Fisher Futura hiding somewhere around the house. Had also forgotten how much it must have cost. Just found it, so now I just have to pick up a refill, and I'll be all set.

notos&w

Enlightened

i got two as replacements about 1.5-2 yrs ago b/c the ones i ordered sucked so bad. they have 12/01 on them which i can only presume is the manufacture date.
i probably wont be trying them again.
to their credit, they did send me a replacement clip for the one that fell off when i protested the $5 shipping fee on a $2 part.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Got mine today, very nice, writes smoothly with no blobbing. I opened it up, simple solid design. But I honestly don't see what the fuss is, unless you just like metal pens or need something that writes when wet. I like my Pilot easy touch(2/$1.99) as much if not more. I'll probably put it up in b/s/t.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right tkl, no real biggie if all you need is a pen. I like em cause they'll write on rubber, tape, wood, metal etc. etc.... , wet or dry that other pens won't.

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

haertig

Newly Enlightened
I've had one of the bullet models for maybe 7 years now. They're neat little pens, but as many have said - they blob terribly. Sounds like they might have fixed that recently, but I haven't bought a refill in years. I didn't find mine to be any better at writing "on anything" than any other pen. It's actually worse on masking tape than anything else I have. Although I still carry the bullet pen in my fanny pack, I will always grab my Papermate Jotter ($4.99 or something like that) if I can find it before the Fisher. The Papermate writes much smoother and never blobs. But the Fisher looks cooler, and even triggered airport security to make me show it to them after they caught it's profile on x-ray!

simbad

Enlightened
I have a Fisher also for an year and it blobs too and they say in the box that never blobs, BTW, I've bought recently a Croos Ion, telescopic, gel ink, shorter than a bullet and lanyard attachment for the neck or keyring,it is always in my front pocket with my cellphone.Writes amazingly smooth.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I have a Sensa Jet Set which includes a 0.7mm pencil and a pen with a Fisher Space Pen cartridge. I agree that the Fisher ink isn't that good. It doesn't write evenly and after you don't use the pen for a few days, a glob of ink forms on the tip due to the pressure inside. Does anyone know a nice gel cartridge that can directly replace it? I don't really care anymore that it can write underwater and in a fire for 30 miles/10 years. I just want it to write well on paper...

The good thing is that the grips on these pens are awesome and their body is made of anodized aluminum. Build quality is superb and they also come in a nice leather pouch. I haven't lost these in over a year now and I hope that continues!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not use Penwa again. I have tried to contact them via email and phone with no luck. I had to call my credit card company about an item that is backordered.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I probably use my bullet pen (received as a gift in late january) almost everyday and I haven't had any problems with the ink blobbing, but I guess that just shows ymmv

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best and most economical ($4.99) pocket pen/self defense device I've ever run across is the Identity Liquid pen from Staples. It uses the small Rotring type refills (available in multiple colors also from Staples) and comes with a neck chain. It'll write through skin oil and grease that my Fisher Bullet Space pen skids right through without leaving even a dim mark. The Identity pen comes on a removeable neck chain and is solid chrome-plated brass with a screw-off cap. You can use your imagination about the self-defense use when you see the pen.