Fisher Space Pen?

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2010 Fisher Space pen that was given to me years ago. I used it as an EDC pen for a couple of years (with it collecting the usual EDC set of blemishes and bumps) until it occurred to me one day that it hadn't run out of ink. I finally started looking online and realized that I had been given a $100 pen, not some $15 space pen like I saw in stores. This pen has a guarnteed "lifetime-supply" of ink. It writes much more smoothly than the re-fillable models. While no longer an EDC, it is still a favored pen that I take better care of while buying (and loosing/destroying) uni-ball vision elites that I purcahse in bulk (an ADD thing).

If you don't like the narrowness of the bullet series and don't worry about shelling out $100 for a nice pen (cheaper than a good fountain pen), you might want to check out the selection of unique pens at Fisher.

Steve C

Enlightened
I was very interested in your observation, sotto. My experience has been similar. I have a Telescoping Space Pen that is the cat's meow for EDC, but the thing kept leaking at the tip- blobbing, etc., so I "retired" it.

I was just told about the better refills, and purchased a Willat Sensa refill just yesterday. It too claims to be pressurized, so I'm not too sure about it; it will probably leak too.

What specific name/label are you using, and are they available for the Telescoping Space Pen?

I'm also wondering if a regular Bullet Pen might be a better way to go. Have you compared the two?

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve C:

I have the black matte finish Bullet Pen (the only kind of Fisher Space Pen I've ever owned). I've had 2 or 3 of them, and they all would skip worse than any cheap dimestore pen I ever ran across until I went to Office Depot and picked up their generic pressurized space-pen type refill. Only then would those Fisher pens work as advertised. I think there's only one type/design of pressurized refill that fits all the Fisher Space pens, but I may be wrong.

The Fisher bullet pen IMHO is a nearly perfect pocket pen design, excepting of course for their refills. After carrying mine for at least a couple years or so in my pocket, it has developed a very nice polish; and everywhere there's any sort of edge on the pen (like around the cap barrel) the black has worn away exposing the shiny brass underneath giving it a sort of "edged-in-gold" appearance. A real handsome pen.

Let us know how the Willat Sensa refills work out, please.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've used Fisher pens for about a decade and have had perhaps 2 or 3 that had issues with the refills right out of the package, but for the most part I've never had a problem with them. In fact, they are the only pens I carry and use on a daily basis. I carry a matte black bullet pen on my flight jacket, a chrome one in my shirt pocket and a matte black Cap-O-Matic military pen in my gear bag. For the price, Fisher pens can't be beat and if you do have issues with a bad refill or the pen itself, they have an unconditional lifetime warranty. Here's a link to the Fisher site.

Steve C

Enlightened
Office Depot/generic... Got it.

I installed the Sensa refill this morning; will begin carrying the pen again tomorrow.

Stay tuned... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Administrator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Supporter
After carrying Fisher pens for years, including a bullet at all times, my biggest complaint is blobing up at the point. If they're used frequently, or at least every day or two, blobbing doesn't seem to happen. If it's used infrequently, it's almost a certainty that it will blob up. I haven't yet tried a fine point to see if that corrects the situation, but I'll give it a try.

Steve C

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
After carrying Fisher pens for years, including a bullet at all times, my biggest complaint is blobing up at the point. If they're used frequently, or at least every day or two, blobbing doesn't seem to happen. If it's used infrequently, it's almost a certainty that it will blob up.

[/ QUOTE ]

My observations agree with those statements. This Sensa refill is a fine point, so we'll see.

Another problem with the telescoping pen is that end where the point emerges is open; allowing pocket lint to find its way to the point. I just checked mine, and after one day in the "gadget pocket" of a pair of 5.11 pants, I needed to wipe a bit of lint off the point to write a clean line. No blobbing yet, but its a bit early in the "test".

Assuming this fine point refill does NOT blob, looks like I'll still have the need to "clean" the point off before using the pen.

Not cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to start out saying that you may want to put down your coffee cup or other beverage, as the information that follows may shock you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I ask that you do this as some posts I have made on other forums in the past have resulted in these liquids developing mysterious, rapidlly increasing high pressure vortices, that have caused some few readers to find themselves, and the environment around them, covered in atomized droplets of the liquids that they were consuming. The cause of this phenomenon is unknown, but you have been warned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

We are all under attack from a viscious and almost unseen animal! I know, I have witnessed its attack on the lights I EDC, and even my Space Pens. Pocket protectors may help to lessen the attack, but will not eliminate the threat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Just like Snards are attacking our motor vehicles at this very time of year, we are also under attack from the PCM -- the Pocket Crud Monster. BTW, in case you are among the uninformed, Snards are the grey/brown animals attached to the wheel wells of vehicles at this time of year, especially in the NE U.S.A. Many otherwise intelligent people think that these are meerly large amounts of snow and slush. However, I ask you, can slush eat the metal of an automoblie? I think not! And they breed! The small clumps of "ice and snow" seen on many city streets are in reality small Snards, or "Snardlings" as we call them here in upstate NY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

But I digress...

The pocket crud monster has been responsible for cloging pen nibs and thereby making the ink blob, jamming knife locks, and dirtying flashlight lenses/optics for many, many, many years. The pocket crud monster will, without warning!, attack anything and everything in your pockets if it is allowed to breed. If you examine the environment of the PCM (the creases in the bottom of almost all pockets, but especially the pockets of the workpants and uniform trousers), you will find that it breeds prolifically. That cute, warm, fuzzy stuff in the bottom of your pockets is PCM spawn. Beware! Some foolishly refer to it as "Pocket Lint," thinking it to be similar to the annoying but benign Belly Button Lint. Not so! That "cute fuzzy stuff" will grow and evolve into PCM's! And, given the right conditions -- oil and grease might possibly be linked to this -- will evolve into PCM Slime, often seen as the grey/black material attched to and oozing out of the contents of the pockets of unsuspecting mechanics and tool operators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Now is the time to mount an attack. Turn inside out as many pockets as you can, and throw them into the wash. Do it now! You can destroy its breeding habitat by doing this. I've been able to keep my Space Pens wirtually clog-free and the PCM's attacking the lenses and optics of my lights have been vanquished. There are still some issues with PCM's and PCM slime in the joints of my pocket knives, but I have faith that continued laundry-induced deforrestation of my pockets will alow me to prevail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Just don't tell PETA, as the PCM is endangered in our house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

You may now pick up your coffee cup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Remember, always treat life extremely seriously. And don't let anyone tell you that too much caffiene is a bad thing, either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
do the sensa refills fit the ag7 space pen ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, they are the same refill. In fact the Sensa brand refills are made by the Fisher company. If you want a non-Fisher refill, look for an off-brand refill.

Note: Sensa uses at least 3 different kinds of refills. The original and most common is the same as the space pen refill. The roller ball Sensas use a Parker style refill and they also have some pens that use a narrow refill similar to the Cross refill.

Steve C

Enlightened
I hear you, chmsam; but my Space Pen lives in the knife/cell phone pocket of the right front thigh. Ya can't turn that one inside out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I foil chmsam's monster by the simple expedient of keeping the cap on my bullet pen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
Which is why I was asking if you had handled both the bullet and telescoping pens.

I'm taking a hard look at the wallet/bullet pen combo they offer. I'm looking to retire soon; it will be nice to carry a real wallet instead of a steenkin' badge case... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have carried a Fisher Space Pen for more than 15 years, so I have some experience.

Yes, some refills used to "blob up" with ink. This was the case when I used medium point refills. For the last 5 years, I have used fine point refills exclusively. No "blobbing" has ever occured with these fine point refills. I have been told on more than one occassion that the refills went through a significant design change a few years ago that dramatically inproved the quality of all refills. I do not know if this is actually fact. But regardless, something to keep in mind is Mr. Fisher guarantees the refills. I have had several replaced at no cost to me.

I currently carry the original Space Pen model, AG7. It has been a workhorse, and I have gone through several (several!) refills. It's banged up, scratched, marred... and the mechanism still works fine. The pressurized nature of the Fisher really is useful when one commonly writes at odd angles such as on a wall or ceiling. I wouldn't trade it for any other pen.

Here's a photo of my AG7 that I carry daily, and have used for so many years:

spacepen010on.jpg

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't have half minded if my medium Fisher refills "blobbed", but they wouldn't even do that. I tried 3 fresh bought from Staples. Every one wouldn't even write through a normal fingerprint mark on a piece of paper.

The Office Depot generic ones I use instead all have written just great. No problems at all.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a link online to these OD generic refills? I always had the blobbing problem, preferring the medium refills, so I had pretty low esteem of the pen in general, and misplaced it. I may give it a try again, if I can figure out where I put it, since these refills sound like they actually work!

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have always ordered my refills from Fisher directly, so I can't comment on those purchased at local stores. I know that the fine point refills I have received from them over the years have worked perfectly.

It was about 2 years ago that I last ordered a medium point refill, also from Fisher directly. I actually still have that refill, as I do not use the pen that it is in very often.

I just tried it, and there was no blobbing at all. The last time I used this pen was probably 3 weeks ago.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two that I carry and use on a regular basis. One had a broad black refill and the other has a medium purple. I also have a Rotring 600 ballpoint with a blue broad refill in it. No blobbing or problems with any of them. I have been using a Space Pen for better part of 8 years now and while they are not what I woudl consider to be the nicest ballpoint to write with, they are convenient and always work (for me, YMMV).

Steve C

Enlightened
Well, after seven days of EDC, I'm happy to report NO blobbing with the fine-point Willat refill. Crud accumulation on the tip was minimal, but enough to require removing it before a good line could be written.

Oh,well; a small enough price to pay. The blobbing was really objectionable; with that gone, I can put up with the other.

So, nobody has tried those Fisher wallet/pen combos?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:
So, nobody has tried those Fisher wallet/pen combos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve,

I bought my grandson the wallet/pen. It seemed well made and smaller than most wallets. Since I gave it away and he lives in another state, that's about all I can say about it.