fixture for sandwich / luxeon soldering

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Last weekend another CPFer came over to the shop and we made some fixtures/jigs to hold Luxeon emmiters to the top circuit board of a sandwich module. The fixture will hold the emmiter in the center of the board, and apply pressure to make sure it is in good thermal contact with the top board.

You can find the picture of it (fixture-01.jpg) here.

You can see the two pieces to the left and right, and one put together with a sandwich module in place. The whole thing is heavy enough to stay put when you solder the emmiter's leads to the board.

Dan

cy

Flashaholic
super cool, did you make any extra?

I'd like to get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

did you also make the jig to make the sammie?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Would be great if you could make a jig for the O-sink/Hotlips C/D too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Icarus said:
Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Would be great if you could make a jig for the O-sink/Hotlips C/D too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought of that too. Prehaps next time.

flex76italy

Enlightened
Very nice job, to when the production?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal ready for one C-size and one D-size O-sink/Hotlips fixture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is the pic inline:
fixture01.jpg

dan you can copy/paste into the first post.. what an awesome tool.. did i not hear you made a sammie holder for holding emitter/driver while potting also?

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>[image]http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/misc/fixture01.jpg[/image]</pre><hr />

beautiful that it's made out of brass.

-awr

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that really is a fixture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

most impressive sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great idea. I was thinking...

Would this work with a non-threaded fixture as well? The top sleeve could slide down over the post and the weight of it would supply enough force to hold the emitter down until the epoxy set up. This could simplify the manufacturing process by eliminating the threading.

It looks like the top fixture fits around the plastic sides of the emitter. It may not fit the Luxeon K2 coming out (this summer??).

This is just some food for thought. This is a great idea and I'm sure it could save many hours of frustration due to non-centered emitters. Cheers,

Paul

Amorphous

Enlightened
Awesome tool from the sagacious mind!! From the pictures, high temp from soldering will be dissipated at the LED. Interested in buying one if you will make extra.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chimo said:
This is a great idea. I was thinking...

Would this work with a non-threaded fixture as well? The top sleeve could slide down over the post and the weight of it would supply enough force to hold the emitter down until the epoxy set up.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it could. Dat2zip has already sugjested doing it that way. I have re-drawn the plans, so IF I make any more, that's how they will be.

Dan