Flashlight as present to a non flasaholic?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the non-flashaholics I gave lights to, all prefer the characteristics of a light that is smallest, brightest and simplest. Multi-modes, even 3, is confusing to them unless they're geeks. For these, I'd recommend Fenix LD15, Ray S20, Jetbeam BA10 & E3S and Nitecore EZAA (Q5/R2 not R5). But YMMV, depending who you're giving it to.

yliu

Enlightened
Multi-modes, even 3, is confusing to them unless they're geeks.

I've been thinking about that too. Most of my lights are Fenix and Led Lenser, I found the 2 modes on the LL P7 very simple, but it lacks regulation and not waterproof. Fenix lights might be too complicated.

weez82

Enlightened
I've been thinking about that too. Most of my lights are Fenix and Led Lenser, I found the 2 modes on the LL P7 very simple, but it lacks regulation and not waterproof. Fenix lights might be too complicated.

i dont really think anyone will have any problems with turning the light off then back on to switch lvls. MiNi's are very easy with the twisty. Also forgot to post this above about the Xeno. It starts on med so that might be another plus for a non-flashoholic. Really though, any non-tactical interface will be just fine for a non-flashoholic.

Jackasper

Enlightened
To the 'non flashaholic' goes the Led Lenser. There is no "twist this" or "half press" that, just on/off tail cap and super easy focus. P5's are single cell AA and easily under $40.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I suggest the newest version of the Inova X1. A single AA with 6 and 55 lumens output. Very reasonably priced at $25, well built, and simple to operate. Nite Ize has made some improvements since they bought Inova.

njet212

Enlightened
I would say give simple flashlight, non flasholic person tend to confuse to use multiple mode flashlight or programable flashlight. That's what u saw when my non flashaholic friends play with my flashlights.

Jetbeam E3S, jetabeam bc series, Fenix E05 or Fenix E05 would be great for non flashaholic person

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
If you want to save some mobey and still give a qulity fairly bright and white light, go to target and get them an inova X1, or the energizer 1 watt led bothe are plenty brigth and run off of 1 AA batt for around 2 1/2 hrs. Inova is 20 bucks and the energizer is only 16 bucks!!! I really like the energizer has a clip and lanyard with it that the inova doesnt. See the thread in this forum discussing the energizer 1 watt.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Eiger. AAA XP-G, classic simple twisty in different formats, beautifully made in Brass, SS and HAIII. And within the budget.

IMG0007-6-2.jpg

AaronG

Enlightened
For dead simple the E05. It runs well on alkaline and is small enough for non flashaholics to EDC. My Dad has an LD20 and an E05. The LD20 spends most of it's life under the seat of his truck. The E05 however goes everywhere. ;)

Fird

Enlightened
Keep form factor and simplicity first, fancy features are for those who will appreciate them. 1-3 modes, logical organisation of said modes, no fancies.. Keep it simple for the stupid as it were :p, no seriously the best compliment you can get is for them to use it on a regular basis, so select a light for your intended recipient based on what you know about them and how they'd use it.

Examples:
Girlfriend won't touch anything bigger than an AAA light, purse space is a premium. She has no use for my Liteflux LF2XT :-D, too complicated. iTP AO3 = fit the bill.
Mom won't touch anything bigger than an AAA light, and doesn't need more than one mode, streamlight microstream = winner
Dad used to dig around in houses doing real-estate sales, Dereelight C2H = had enough power, looked VERY professional/executive, a good low mode, and I supplied him with the batteries and charger.. He's more willing to figure out the 4 modes and clicky interface.
Younger brother: Dereelight DBS, snapped it on his airsoft sniper rifle and became a terror to play against at night... when you can be picked off at 200 yards with a tiny plastic BB simply because you're lit up like daylight... yeah, so that worked sweet for him.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
KISS: Most people aren't into collecting flashlights. Most people grew up with inexpensive button press [on/off] flashlights, which worked quite well for me as a kid.

Size matters: Forget about AAA lights or 1-AA light for a non-flashaholic. As you know, most people don't play with flashlights, therefore it gets shoved into a drawer, back of the closet, night table etc. I've seen recommendations for the Maratac AA. At 2.9" long the chances of it being long forgotten / lost are greatly increased.

Interface: multiple back / forth head twists for mode changes such as minimag led, ITP A3 Eos etc. are not going to get used. Unless they're playing with it on a fairly regular basic, that feature will be forgotten.

Age dependent: I have a feeling some elderly people would appreciate larger lights, as generally speaking are not used to the diminutive size of modern lights / gadgets. I speak on behalf on my own parents and other elderly folks I know [all non-flashaholics]. Of course, there are exceptions.

In your budget, perhaps the Jetbeam BA20 [2 - AA] would work. 155mm in length. Click a button on tail, light turns on. Twist head left or right for low or high. No multi-twists required. Even if the non-flashaholic forgets about a head twist, the low mode should suffice when they actually need to use it. Run-time as we know, is pretty decent in high or low modes. Of course, we'd like them to use eneloops and the like, but for some people the chances of batteries being recharged is slim to none. Old habits of having alkaline batteries at your fingertips is a habit that is hard to break for a non-techy. Not an insult at all, just the way it goes. There's always the leaky prone alkaline problem, but what can ya do. You could buy them a decent charger of course and offer a 5 minute training session and hope that they recharge those eneloops every couple years.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
I've sold (metaphorically speaking) about a dozen Fenix LD10s to friends, family, and even (two) random people at Denny's. I haven't heard a bad word come back. They're 1xAA and are below $50 each and come with a clip and a lanyard. I was actually kind of worried about people accidentally activating strobe (soft press from on with a tightened bezel) and getting irate but apparently this isn't a problem even with people unfamiliar with flashlights.

For a 1xAAA light the 4Sevens Preon I is really good. The females especially appreciate the color choices. I personally prefer the Fenix E01 but I think most non-flashlight people wouldn't quite appreciate long runtime over output as much as we might. And if you're trying to hook people, the lumen wow factor is probably going to be the main draw.

Napalm

Enlightened
The Xeno Cube makes for a very stylish nightstand light.

It won't get relegated to the bottom of the junk drawer where no one could ever find it again.

Nap.

mmace1

Enlightened
As another person said...if the user will (most likely, right?) use only Alkalines - look to Fenix. In AAA - the Fenix E01 is well-received here. But to the average person who doesn't think about runtime - it may seem awfully dim. For non-enthusiasts, the E05 is generally better received (less runtime - but far brighter).

I prefer 4seven Quark lights, but...for alkalines, Fenix tends to do better. So are the better choice for a person if they indeed will just be using alkalines.

Illum

Flashaholic
While the momentary switch is taken often with annoyance for many here, inovas line of lights may be preferrable as gifts.

I have given a couple Inova X1 and X2s away as gifts with no ill effects. The tailcap is the only thing that rotates and there's no way the light can get disassembled. Only downside is occasionally a light will turning up dead because the owner stuffed batteries down the wrong way :mecry:

Most keychain sized lights I have given away as gifts involves me attaching them onto their keys in front of them. I have yet to hear of a loss. :)

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Whatever you get them, DO NOT ask them later if they have used the light. If they bring it up, super. But don't ask. 'Cuz if they say no, you will feel really bad about the time and money you put into picking it out. I say this to any flashaholic buying lights for others. I speak from experience. :shakehead