Flashlight (Body) Colors: Why Not a Little Variety?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thank you for sorting out the "HAII" people!

I understand that in order to colour HA [including colouring it black], dye is added to the pores and then the part is boiled to seal in the dye.
This process does weaken HA - it is less durable as a result I believe.
Perhaps Natural HA can be made extremely dark by adjusting the process? I am not aware of this - only that some HA can be extremely dark slate in colour.

The Purple A2 is "HA". It is not what I would consider to be "Hard" though. Certainly it is more obvious when it wears at sharp corners and edges compared to natural HA.

Al

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak,

"no offense", why don't you buy flashlights that aren't colored in any way. I like the thread and pictures, I use, as tools, bare and colored flashlights ("normal", green and black, too!)..............just like the looks!

jeffb

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Some lights suit certain colours/finishes more than others...... My collection is mainly Surefire, and some of those, the M series, and Centurions simply look more suited to their design purpose in Military spec OD HA3. Maglights are rounded and smooth, so lend themselves better to fancy colours and designs, the RAW Orb lights look nice in bare Aluminium, even better in Titanium (I love Titanium). Damascus is OK, nice for knives, but I have no love for it as a flashlight finish/ material.

However.... Just imagine a SF Beast II in Purple, with orange flames........

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powdercoat - lots and lots of colors.

S1.jpg

even fades..

rainbow.jpg

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powder coat is used on motorcycle frames, Much tougher than paint, not as hard as anodize. It is used on a variety of items. Like any coating, it can be scratched and chipped. The process involves baking the powder at 350 to 400 degrees F. I think it is the only way to get white. It is a fairly thick coating. I have used a test to hammer in a nail in pine with an object that had been powdercoated. It chipped a little

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Size15's said:
How about just plain orange? :popcorn:
Maybe not "The Beast" in Orange, but certainly the G2/G3 lights.

I've just bought a few Pelican lights actually.... A Flouro Yelow 2010PL, Sabrelight, and a couple of the Orange Sabrelight flashlights for the POV.

They're cheap(ish), very durable, and totally disposable.......

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminds me of a time I read a post by somebody who accidentally ordered a cyan LED flashlight. When it came they were disappointed that the LED was cyan. It occurred to me that a cyan colored body would be very cool on a flashlight.

DM51

Flashaholic
How about a powdercoated A2? It might look quiite smart. Maybe I'll get one of mine done in dark green. And there's a certain pesky BIRD around here somewhere who might be interested too. Eggshell blue for him, I think.

Size15's

Flashaholic
RAF_Groundcrew,
Where did you get the Photoluminescent SabreLite from?
At SHOT Show 2007 I was given a 4AA MityLite 2440 LED (Photoluminescent Body) which my folks have mounted in their kitchen. I want to pick up a few more but haven't seen them here in the UK yet.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to show a little difference The light blue and the turquoise are a textured powder coat. It feels like a 240 grit sandpaper. Those are all Maglite mini-mags 2AA size, somewhat changed from original. The wood is Koa and Ebony. The turquoise has an McR-27L reflector, a nexgen 750, running off a 14670 Lithium battery and a spacer. I have been trying to do some unique changes to the humble minis...

fry.jpg

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Size15's said:
RAF_Groundcrew,
Where did you get the Photoluminescent SabreLite from?
At SHOT Show 2007 I was given a 4AA MityLite 2440 LED (Photoluminescent Body) which my folks have mounted in their kitchen. I want to pick up a few more but haven't seen them here in the UK yet.
Ebay, naturally ! Although Lighthound has the 2410PL (4AA Stealth lite), the 2010PL, has the 'recoil' led system in the head, and quite a good throw to the beam. PL designates the glow in the dark head. They're actually quite good, and the use of the light charges up the GITD a bit.