Flashlight for Law Enforcement

Kyle J

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new flashlight that may better suite me. I currently use the Stinger LED (Just the basic one) and it has some great distance on it however just not enough light spread across a room for my liking. I've been looking at all the major flashlight manufacturers and I just can't find a light that fits my wants (maybe their too high). I'm looking for something with 750+ lumens and 20K candela for about $150 or less. My only requirement is that it has a rear button as I use that a lot currently. It'd also be nice if I could recharge it without having to take out batteries but I can accept it if it doesn't do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I was going to mention the SureFire R1 Lawman until I saw your price point. It's a great light but it's expensive.

If you like your Stinger, have you checked out the Stinger DS LED HL? It comes pretty close to your specs (640 lumens / 22k candela) and has dual switches on the body and the tailcap. It's just a little longer than the basic Stinger LED but should allow you to use some of the same accessories.

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
Or look for Nitecore P25 (< $100, 20K, 860 lumen, direct rechargeable, talcap switch and side switch).

Kyle J

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I was going to mention the SureFire R1 Lawman until I saw your price point. It's a great light but it's expensive.

If you like your Stinger, have you checked out the Stinger DS LED HL? It comes pretty close to your specs (640 lumens / 22k candela) and has dual switches on the body and the tailcap. It's just a little longer than the basic Stinger LED but should allow you to use some of the same accessories.

It looks great but I don't plan on ever spending that much on a light. I had checked out the other stingers, I just didn't know if going from roughly 350 lumen to 640 lumen would make that much of a difference. I definitely like the distance the stinger gets but it doesn't light up a wide enough area for me. Would I notice a difference in how wide it goes with the extra lumen?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight M22...not rechargeable but using an 18650 should provide a day or two between having to swap out the battery at the least.

Kyle J

Newly Enlightened
Or look for Nitecore P25 (< $100, 20K, 860 lumen, direct rechargeable, talcap switch and side switch).

Thank you for the suggestion. After looking into it, I am really liking this one. I like the fact that it is USB charging capable because I keep a 15,000 mah battery bank with me and it's just another thing I can use to try and drain that sucker. This is looking like what I may get. Do you have a link where I can read a good review on it? Found on ebay for around $60, not bad...

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally the Klarus XT11 imo is a bad choice as the throw is not particularly good,far better throwers from Fenix for instance for Police work.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog with MD4 body takes two rechargeable 18650 batteries.

1000 sustained lumens on high or 70-100 lumens on low (loosen head) and it has a tail switch.

It's just under 9" long so is suitable for Duty Belt carry.

The only bad news is that it's $19 over your budget, however CPF in Coupon box gives 5% off, which should be closer to your budget. If only you had asked on memorial day they were giving 15% off.

Last edited:

cbpdogboy

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Fenix TK35 for my duty carry...awesome light. I just ordered the new 1800 lumen Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition. I use a different case...a riot/large oc spray holder from bianci. It is molded and literally snaps the light in. I like the case because of no top and easy access for me when I am working my k-9.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Personally the Klarus XT11 imo is a bad choice as the throw is not particularly good,far better throwers from Fenix for instance for Police work.

It depends on the Police work..Around here at least, the XT11 is a fav for LEO. The SF Fury has a similar beam pattern, but at ~ 500 L instead of well over 1,000 L (XT11 on two 18350)

:D

One reason for the LEO popularity on the XT11 is the multi-fuel capability. It can take CR123, RCR123, 18350, 18650, 16340, and so forth...very flexible. The beam is strong and floody, and within ~ 100 - 150 yards, lights the areas all up at once (With a useful amount of light, its official ANSI range is farther than that, etc...), the UI is super intuitive, and its hard to kill them, as they are really tough, IPX8 rated, can take recoil w/o a hiccup, etc, etc.

The weapon switch for them is awesome as well, duplicating the tail cap.

If the line of sight required is over ~ 150 yards or so, sure, you want a stronger thrower, but, that will typically mean a smaller spot of light, so you see less at a time, to get enough juice on the distant part.

After that, you get into if its something you are patrolling with for a long time, hours on end in a large area, or, if its just being whipped out to spot check things.....with larger multicell lights being - overall - better for long patrols with the light on sweeping large acreages, etc.

Last edited:

Kyle J

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts on the NiteCore SRT7? Came across it in NiteCore's 2014 catalog.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the Police work..Around here at least, the XT11 is a fav for LEO. The SF Fury has a similar beam pattern, but at ~ 500 L instead of well over 1,000 L (XT11 on two 18350)

One reason for the LEO popularity on the XT11 is the multi-fuel capability. It can take CR123, RCR123, 18350, 18650, 16340, and so forth...very flexible. The beam is strong and floody, and within ~ 100 - 150 yards, lights the areas all up at once (With a useful amount of light, its official ANSI range is farther than that, etc...), the UI is super intuitive, and its hard to kill them, as they are really tough, IPX8 rated, can take recoil w/o a hiccup, etc, etc.

The weapon switch for them is awesome as well, duplicating the tail cap.

If the line of sight required is over ~ 150 yards or so, sure, you want a stronger thrower, but, that will typically mean a smaller spot of light, so you see less at a time, to get enough juice on the distant part.

After that, you get into if its something you are patrolling with for a long time, hours on end in a large area, or, if its just being whipped out to spot check things.....with larger multicell lights being - overall - better for long patrols with the light on sweeping large acreages, etc.

You really have no reason to explain to me,i have one so i know its capabilities and its faults.

TheeBadOne

Newly Enlightened
I like my XT11. The below quoted poster from a different thread summed it up nicely.
The XT11 has a strong floody beam....so it lights up everything in front of you, out to a useful range of ~ 100 -150 yards (The Predator's 400 meters is ANSI, the useful range would be closer to ~ 200 meters for example) I HAVE the XT11 and the Pred, etc...

The OP vs smooth reflector is not as much an issue in these cases as much as the LED choices are. The Pred uses the XPG2, a small die with lower lumen output, but, better throw in a small reflector...so a small spot of light can be thrown a good distance.

The XT11 uses an XML2, which is a larger LED, with higher lumen output than the little XPG2, but, being a large LED, the extra light is flood patterned.

As a weapon light, the XT11 is amazing, the remote is great, but, if needed for 200 meter outdoor shooting, it would not be a good choice. Around here, its an LEO favorite because they DON'T typically try to shoot perps at night, especially when they are over 100 yards away, but DO end up clearing crack houses/warehouses/yards and searching within the 100 - 150 yard range of the light, and, the broad beam means no sweeping of the beam around to see everything, its more like you just hit the room's light switch. :D

The Predator with the XPG2 is great, but, again, the tight beam means that you do need to sweep the beam about at long ranges to see what's out there...which means the perps you're looking for see you, and your sweeping beam, before you sweep it onto them. This can be an isue if they are the kind that consider you a potential target, or, simply want to know where you ARE looking, so they know when its safe to run the other way/hide, dispose of evidence, etc...

The trade of course is when they are say 200 meters away, and the XT11 would not reach well enough to resolve them, but the Pred could....even if the beam is small, at least it can reach them, etc.

So, think about your real life applications, and how far away you find yourself needing to see...and, if its all close enough for ~ 150 yards to cover it, the XT11 makes more sense. If your areas are very large, so you need more like 200 meters, the Pred makes more sense.

If you need more than 200 meters, well, neither is ideal...and you need either to go to Vinh's sub-forum to get a small super thrower, or, a larger light with the juice to spray photons where needed.

For example, the current XT11 has ~ 10k cd, the Pred has ~ 40k cd, and the S200c2vn has ~ 130 k cd, and so forth.

556hollowtip

Newly Enlightened
As stated above, the Predator is nice, but the 5 degree is too tight for my taste in urban setting. I currently carry Its twin, the Viking. 10 degree beam and a bit more floody. So far have liked it.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the stinger HL in person. It doesn't focus those lumens down, hence the same brightness, but spread over a larger area than the standard model.