Flashlight Gun Combo

T

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I dunno, a lot of this is like arguing whether to shoot prone or kneeling, etc...you use what makes sense for the situation, and, train to deal with the situations.

Everyone I see above is making valid points, but, everyone is weighting the value of those points differently.

So, if a particular set of parameters is more important to them, they want the guy who values other points higher, to change his mind and agree with them. That rarely happens.

No grip is always perfect, heck its not even a given that you'd want to turn a light on in the first place, let alone how to hold it.

Next we can argue if its better to have mags with more 9 mm, or a fewer 45 ACP.

:D

B

BillSWPA

Enlightened
What, nobody uses the old Harries technique?
Thats what I prefer....works with all my lights, and its easy as pie. Doesnt require me to have the gun up and ready if not necessary (and a lot of times its not), and it gives a more secure grip on the light than do any of the other styles.
Of course thats when Im carrying concealed, and a small pistol.
For a full size, I prefer my light on the gun.
I have other lights for searching, but when I need a light and a gun at the same time, I prefer them to be attached to one another.

Harries is a good technique if you are coming around cover on your strong side. However, when coming around cover on your weak side, you are now bringing your gun, along with the sights, and therefore your head, out that much farther from cover.

B

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I dunno, a lot of this is like arguing whether to shoot prone or kneeling, etc...you use what makes sense for the situation, and, train to deal with the situations.

Everyone I see above is making valid points, but, everyone is weighting the value of those points differently.

So, if a particular set of parameters is more important to them, they want the guy who values other points higher, to change his mind and agree with them. That rarely happens.

No grip is always perfect, heck its not even a given that you'd want to turn a light on in the first place, let alone how to hold it.

Next we can argue if its better to have mags with more 9 mm, or a fewer 45 ACP.

:D

Very well said.

schizeckinosy

schizeckinosy

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
What, nobody uses the old Harries technique?
Thats what I prefer....works with all my lights, and its easy as pie. Doesnt require me to have the gun up and ready if not necessary (and a lot of times its not), and it gives a more secure grip on the light than do any of the other styles.
Of course thats when Im carrying concealed, and a small pistol.
For a full size, I prefer my light on the gun.
I have other lights for searching, but when I need a light and a gun at the same time, I prefer them to be attached to one another.

I practice Harries for basically the same reason - works with all lights (side or rear switch), and you can use it alone or with your pistol without breaking your grip. I also prefer to practice a split-second ceiling bounce and then moving. I was taught the split second lighting technique where you move away, identify threats, and fire when necessary into the afterimage of that brief burst at FAS - works much better than you would think once you get used to it. It was there that I realized that I needed to give up my beloved single action colts for double action. Having people yelling commands at you and pushing you around while you have to make shoot/no shoot decisions makes you realize the worth of those extra pounds of resistance on the trigger - at least it did for me.

And maybe its just me, but I use a LOT of pressure with the Harries hold. I do not find that it throws off my aim, but makes it more stable - and my strong hand (left) is my off hand.

I also agree with dss - the demonstrated hold looks more mall-ninja than anything that you would want to rely on. Sorry for the strong words, but this is literally a life and death topic.

Last edited: