Flashlight Selfies - around the world :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visiting a Barnes Wallace Museum in Weybridge, Surrey.

This is the model catapult he used to calculate the data for the Bouncing Bomb use in the 'Dambuster' raids in 1943.

Extra illumination supplied by my HDS Rotary Forensic Blue!

38164653962_3e99b56faf_c.jpg
38140434026_a22fe0780c_c.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visiting a Barnes Wallace Museum in Weybridge, Surrey.

This is the model catapult he used to calculate the data for the Bouncing Bomb use in the 'Dambuster' raids in 1943.

Extra illumination supplied by my HDS Rotary Forensic Blue!

Now all you need is a selfie with your HDS in front of a Lancaster bomber!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can't speak for others but in my case the iPhone sets the aperature at f2.8 so the depth of field is very shallow. The light was 1 foot away, the restaraunt sign 200+ feet away. A "real" camera aperature would have been adjusted somewhere between f8.0 and f22 to gain a total in focus depth of field.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can't speak for others but in my case the iPhone sets the aperature at f2.8 so the depth of field is very shallow. The light was 1 foot away, the restaraunt sign 200+ feet away. A "real" camera aperature would have been adjusted somewhere between f8.0 and f22 to gain a total in focus depth of field.
Thanks for making me happy I bought an Android phone. 😉

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have an iPhone 13, and it has two forward facing lenses. I am pretty sure that I can change the settings, but haven't looked into it.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I just saw you can change f-stop on an iPhone up to f16.0 using portrait mode.
f1.4
f16.0
Hence, why with my Nikon I might go up to f22.
Nice! It's a trade off, so you'll start to lose sharpness above about f8.0, but you'll get more background in focus. Conversely, less than around f8.0 and you'll also lose sharpness, but more of the background will be blurred into that nice colourful prettiness.
If you have a good quality lens and the right conditions, you might even get some bokeh. (That's those blurry hexagonal light artefacts that are cause by the aperture of a good lens interacting with highlight points.)

By the way, iPhones "cheat" at this sort of thing, they combine a bunch of images in a split second, and artificially manufacture an image that looks higher quality, with skin smoothing and sharpening etc.. Pretty impressive, but I like traditional 'honest' photography.

I should take some torch 'lelfies', it's been a while since I took my camera out!

Here's an old photo of mine showing bokeh. I couldn't afford decent lenses back then, so the artefacts aren't very hexagonal.
01OT Genesis 1;1-3.jpeg

my arm is not long enough

Mine aren't either. That's why I wear glasses. 😄 About 25 years ago, I was reading the newspaper at my parent's house when my dad started laughing. I lowered the paper, asking him what he was laughing at. He replied: "At you." When I asked why he said: "You don't realize what you're doing, do you?" "I'm reading the newspaper. What's so funny about that?" Dad retorted: "Look at your arms."

For some time, I have no idea how long, I had started holding the paper at arm's length attempting to focus. Obviously, it was time to purchase some glasses. :geek: