Flashlight Selfies - around the world :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm a die hard Nikon guy for SLR's but their point and shoot were horrible. I always used Panasonic and (gasp) Canon point and shoot gear. Still do on occasion.
I learned photography with a fully manual Canon AT1. It came with a f1.4 50mm lens. I bought two additional lenses for it. I think a f2.8 Achron 35mm to 80mm zoom, and a 60-220 f4 Minolta, with a Macro option. That Minolta was a beast, but took great photos.

@bykfixer, thanks for looking up that iPhone video on how to change the f stop settings. Maybe now, I'll look into the other fancy things my phone is capable of doing. My daughter has a teeth whitening app on hers. I know that the kids use snap-chat to make goofy pictures.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I learned photography with a fully manual Canon AT1. It came with a f1.4 50mm lens. I bought two additional lenses for it. I think a f2.8 Achron 35mm to 80mm zoom, and a 60-220 f4 Minolta, with a Macro option. That Minolta was a beast, but took great photos.

@bykfixer, thanks for looking up that iPhone video on how to change the f stop settings. Maybe now, I'll look into the other fancy things my phone is capable of doing. My daughter has a teeth whitening app on hers. I know that the kids use snap-chat to make goofy pictures.
I had a kodak and a belle & howell point and shoot for years. The kodak was a 110 cartridge type I had as a teen. It was film cartridges or soda pop back then so not many photos resulted. The belle & howell was when I had joined the ranks of the 35mm crowd. I used it from the time my kids were born until I went digital with a (iirc) Hewlett Packard digital camera somebody gave me around 2006. Somewhere in there I bought a Canon Rebel G like that pro tennis player on tv used but it never shot a single photo. Nope I had gone digital for good. Not long after that the mighty Sony Cybershot and for Mrs Fixer a Canon powershot both with 10x zoom. They guzzled batteries so we used Sony rechargeables that could snap a lot of photos yet only held a charge for a few days.

We discovered the eneloop and that was that. In the meantime my dad gave me one of his "how to take photos" booklets by Kodak from his manual days. It explained the basics. A Panasonic Lumix digicam with manual adjustments had me feeling like a pro. It could change depth of field so landscapes were focused front to infinity, or a wall behind the person being photographed could be blurred like those back drop's at Olin Mills.

To this day my Nikon gear is set on aperature adjust with mild iso's and the shutter speed is determined accordingly by the computer. Once iso above 100 meant lots of fuzzy noise, even in good light. My full frame digital Nikon can do fairly noise free in low light at 12,000+ iso. Amazing. Trouble with using the computer to pick the iso is that it tries to brighten the scene. That's ok for trying to get details in low light, but it causes a dark image to look like daylight. The iPhone does that too. So I use EV adjust at times in order to achieve that sunset photo so that it looks like a few minutes before dark instead of an orange sky at noon. I have an app called ProCam but haven't really tried it much.

When I got my first smart phone my brother said "you'll put away your cameras, your laptop, your cd player, your calculator, even your printer". I said "man you're full of crap". Turns out he was right. By iPhone 12 all that stuff collects dust. With the right cord one can watch movies on their giant tv using the iPhone to stream. I still prefer my dvd player though so there is that.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Amazing. Even on a planet that is out of our solar system, some logos are recognizable.

Photo taken with my edc iPhone, that sometimes serves as my edc flashlight.

1691925848021.png

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
There you go.
If only those inside paid less attention to their dark brew of wokeness and evil, and more attention to the making of light and good, there could be strength for the weak and hope for the helpless in our country.

IMG_6324.jpeg