Flashlightreviews.com going away...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
New update -

Just received an email from the buyer. Turns out they wanted to purchase both the domain name AND the content. They said they wanted to purchase "the domain". Perhaps it's just my misunderstanding, but "domain" = "name" in my book.

That's interesting, what do they plan to do with it, charge people to read reviews?

watt4

Enlightened
unfortunately, you "messed up" the website before closing a deal (getting paid).

I would get the domain working again ASAP before it starts to lose links, traffic, and value.

Zdenka

Newly Enlightened
So, who is the buyer? Can you tell us anything about them?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Doug, you have got to know that your site was THE SITE that I based just about every flashlight purchase on. (with The LED Museum running a very close second) I would print out copies of your ratings listings of lights before I went to do any flashlight shopping and take it with me as a guide so I knew what lights I should be looking at. I prided myself on buying as many of your top picks as I could afford and/or wanted to buy.

Ditto that.

I'm sorry to see the site going away but it will continue to be helpful as long as there is access to the data.

Thanks for the "heads-up" Doug.

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
Doug, it's been well over a year since I visited your site but going back through it today gave me goosebumps. Your honest and informative reviews turned me into a flashaholic before I even discovered CPF. My first "real" light, a HDS U60GT was bought based on one of your reviews.

I hope you are able to keep your site open for hobbyists like us. I see it as the archives of flashaholism.

funkL

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flashlightreviews.com going away... (Praise +1)

Quickbeam, thank you for continuing to keep flashlightreviews available online. This resource is simply invaluable. The quality of content is incredible, and presented quite well, allowing me to take a mere interest for flashlights and greatly develop it into something much more. Reading the reviews opened my eyes to the many aspects of what goes into flashlights, giving me insight into varying beam qualities, runtime characteristics, and aspects of construction and physical design which make every flashlight distinct. I appreciate the effort put into the reviews, especially in the runtime graphs and constant "real world" Maglite comparisons. I have learned a lot about flashlights from the reviews, features and personal stories, and have made purchase decisions based on the reviews.

After discovering the website a few years ago, I still refer to flashlightreviews as a point of reference, or if I need some information about what to look for in a particular light. Before reading this thread to completion, I was getting ready to download a dozen or so pages to my hard drive, just in case they'd be lost forever!

Your work is appreciated. Thanks again :)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
From LOTR, yes?

Yup - that's it. I was a LOTR fan long before it was a movie - back when only geeks and D&D players were into it.

Images should be showing - I have a .htaccess file that prevents hotlinking and that may be a problem if you are accessing the site through a special proxy filter or something that changes the referrer to something other than flashlightreviews.woodlandsconnection.com when you go to a page. Hope that helps.

[edit] The link in my signature needed to be updated and could have been causing that problem. It's now fixed.

I'm also having problems with the menus, but they're workable as-is. I'll see if I can fix them.

Last edited:

ozner1991

Enlightened
i first saw flashlightreviews.com back in 2007, after i was looking around for info about the maglite led upgrade. soon after i read the numbers i realised there was more out there :whistle: for months i stayed on the site looking at lights and buying them from the review you made!
but you stopped updating the site and i moved to cpf.

just my opinion, it be an big loss if all that info went bye bye :shakehead

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The transfer of FlashlightReviews.com to the new owner is in progress. My signature line has the current link that should be used to connect to the original content. The new owner said they are going to link to my content as well... we'll see if that really happens. Since it's their web address now they can do whatever they wish.

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. I'm glad that you all found FlashlightReviews.com so helpful and informative over the years. The content should stay at it's new holding place for some time. (http://flashlightreviews.woodlandsconnection.com)

By the way, did anyone go to the root domain http://www.woodlandsconnection.com ?

Some of you might recall that a couple of years ago I posted about a bunch of break-ins at my neighborhood. I put those pages together specifically for the residents of my neighborhood to help them protect their homes from burglers. Perhaps some of you folks can use that information too.

Best wishes,
Doug P. (Quickbeam)

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi QuickBeam,

flashlightreviews.com has been my go to page for reliable info for several of my past purchases. without it, i may gotten many LED lights that i consider the "pioneers". like the original CMG Infinity (non-Ultra) & Inova X5 (non 'T' version)! :bow:

:bumpit:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick bump, because it looks like the woodlandsconnection.com domain wasn't renewed. And with it, so goes the original FlashlightReviews.com archive. :(