Flashlights as a self defence tool

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Being in the UK, Self defence items are illegal.
However an improvised weapon, that is designed as a functional item, E.G Flashlight isnt.
I'm looking for a EDC bright light that can act as a kind of pocket stick/Kubaton.
but It's still got to be a damn good flashlight,
I was set on a copia 6A-i, but having not felt the dimensions or quality of the light and lens, I cant say whether it would be a good choice.
the Inova X5 seems obvious, but then its not of a suffcient power to have as my main EDC, and it also use CR123's which i want to stay away from if fesable.
cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Mag 2AA with a good LED drop in maybe?

Aeryk

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
6P with KR2 conversion. This gives you a rechargable light, and enough length to use it as a Kubatan. If you add the TID (TACTICAL IMPACT DEVICE) you have a different sort of weapon.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I think the Batonlite will be too dim for the purpose, since the Inova X5 is'nt bright enough... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A simple 2AA flashlight like the Brinkmann Legend or the AA MiniM*g, fitted with a LS drop in mod like a sammich from dat2zip's sandwich shop will work well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batonlight is very nice. We have one and it's quite bright and white for a 3 led light. It's very solid, if you have to thunk someone with it they will definitely get the message. But it's still a 3led light, It doesn't have the throw or brightness of a 2AA brinkman with a dat2zip drop in in it.

Also, it is a weapon. If you can't carry a regular baton, how are you going to carry a baton-light?

I agree completely with Bart, get a brinkman 2AA and put a bad boy 500 in it!

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
The SureFire 3 cell lights (e.g. 9P) are almost exactly the same size [and maybe weight] of a regular Kubatan. With a the high output LA it would be *very* bright and make an excellent impact weapon if you are skilled in using a Kubatan. That's what I would use, although maybe more conspicuous to carry than the 6P.

Adding a tactical impact device would probably land you in jail if you had to defend yourself, being the UK and all. Talk about backwards lawmaking, defending the criminal and leaving the citizen defenseless.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
One of Mr Bulk's LGIs should fit the bill! They are hard to come by though. An un-modified Brinkmann 3xAA Legend (un-modified LGI) should work as a EDC ( though a bit long at 8 1/4 inches or 21 cm)

Of course, you could allways lug around a 6xD cell Maglight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sorridsky,

My vote is for the Electrolumens Blaster II.

I agree, it is a little on the large size, but it is a work of art. If you wanted, you could put some custom engraving on it. You could then show it off to your friends, and still have a 3D size to ward off any bad guys. I don't believe the authorities would confuse it with a weapon, it is just a handy, useful piece of art (that you just happened to drop on someone's head as they were trying to lift your wallet).

It also gives off a lot of light.

Tom

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
thankyou for all the replies!
the batonlite seems the obvious choice, but as it is infact a baton, and also not very bright, it cant be included /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I like the idea of a 2AA BB500 mod. thats about the size im looking at, no bigger. I have a 4D in the car, but when out for dinner, i dont want it swinging by my knee's pulling down my pants!

Does anyone sell complete 2AA BB500 lights to the UK at all?
I'd be needing a tough lens aswell,
How Bright is the BB500 compared to say.. a SL 4AA LED?

soloco

Enlightened
I agree with hokiefritz. If self-defense and reliability are priorities, not run-time, then any 2 or 3 cell Surefire is the way to go. They are bright and have a solid unadjustable (won't have to mess with it in a pinch) beam. Only 1 hour runtime? More than enough if you need to blind someone and get the hell out of there.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3 cell surefire with a P91 HOLA would give the attacker some serious spots in the eyes, you can then take advantage of the moment to either run or attack him. If I were you, I would run.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorridsky, I don't like 6A-I that much due to its non-removeable clickable tailcap. You need to remove the bezel to change battery. I prefer the 6A-II that has removeable clickable tailcap. The light is bright, small and smooth beam. It's as bright as P60 but in rechargeable without increasing size like SF KR2 - the magic of li-ion bat:) While its LA is great, its lens is not as good as SF or SL.

However, it won't be an ideal Kubaton since there's no sharp edge at all on the entire light.

Alan

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
shining a light in someones eyes is an excellent tactic, when armed.
but when the narrow tail cap is your weapon, and having the lens end pointed forward gives you a disadvantage
straight away. With the surface area of the lens being bigger, it can still be used but to a lesser amount.
I'm really just looking for a small thin flashlight,
thats about 5" long.

I was thinking for an EDC, i have two choices,
either:

BB500 in a Mag - Task light and koppo stick, using the thinner tail cap, it is the right size.
Copia 9A - incandesant for throw + a horizontal holder across the small of my back, but anyway i doubt I'll find one!

Or

Inova X1 - task light
A sure E2e (+KL4 when it comes out) - as the Koppo stick, although I would have to use the Head, as the impact point, i dont know if the dimensions of an E2e would be up to the task.

And i would need to do this to the light:
http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1698&highlight=koppoize

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I found the A2 to be of an excellent kubotan dimension. The length is about right and the bezel size is not as big as the 3-cell SFs. I agree the E2e with KL4 should be good too.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
self defence tool? pocket stick?
wap_sure002.jpg

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorridsky -- There are lots of great lights (Surefire's incandescent ones come mostly to my mind) in the 5-inch range. You mentioned that you want to stay away from 123's. Is that because of price?

Are you aware that Surefire and other dealers now are selling them for only $1.25 each? Maybe you know that already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you scratched off that option without knowing that the standard price has recently dropped so much.

[edit] Oh, I see that you are considering the E2e, so I wasn't reading carefully enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
Dimensions (Length, weight (w/o batteries I assume):
9P - 6.2", 6.7 oz.
6P - 4.9", 5 oz.
E2e - 4.5", 3.2 oz.
Mini Mag AA - 5.5", 4 oz.

Mini Mag AA looks like about the right size you're looking for. Thinner than a 6P, but is way out classed in brightness (including LED drop ins) compared to a P61 or P91 LA. I'm not a defense expert so I won't pretend to be one, but I think I'd still want the biggest, heaviest, brightest light I could handle yet still conceal and carry comfortably if I was using it for defense purposes. The bezel edge of the SureFire lights are quite thin and would hurt but I understand about focusing the force in the smallest area possible.

Here's a link that may or may not be interesting to you: http://www.donrearic.com/main.html

Monsters_Inc

Banned
My suggestion, coming from an equally "everything is illegal" country, is stuff the law regarding what is illegal carry. When it comes down to your life, I'd rather be explaining to the officer I had an illegal weapon on me than have forensics collect my limbs and scrape my brain off the pavement.