Flashlights in a hot car

Mellontikos

Hey guys. I'm carrying my Weltool W4 in the glove compartment, and a few days ago with these blistering heats, I noticed the light was very hot. I don't know an exact #, but probably around 50c (120-130f).

It seems to still be working ok, and now I'm carrying it in the backseat instead, inside one of my backpacks. Since it's one of those sensitive laser diodes, any chance I could have caused permanent damage to it?

alpg88

it still working ok, so there seem to be no damage, the coolest part of the car is a bottom door pocket. it is open, so hot air moves up, unlike closed glove compartment or a bag,

Mellontikos

it still working ok, so there seem to be no damage, the coolest part of the car is a bottom door pocket. it is open, so hot air moves up, unlike closed glove compartment or a bag,
Thanks man, Let's hope nothing happened to it. Can't freakin' leave anything in the car anymore :(

turbodog

My bet is that the glove compartment is cooler than the pocket. Yes, hot air moves up... but it doesn't take long for the entire car's air to be scorching. Think of the glove box like an insulated compartment...

That said... I keep 2 lights in the truck all the time in the heat of the south. Surefire L4 and HDS twisty. Both are 123-based. No problems with either.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
1627728725646.png

This page offers way more information than I want, but the graph depicts the degradation of LEDs due to temperature.

1627728297726.png

140 degrees F = 60 degrees C.
I don't know how sensitive laser diodes are compared to typical LEDs, but it appears that typical LEDs do OK in the heat of a car parked in the sun.

I would keep them out of direct sunlight under glass. If I fail to put a reflective sunshield in my windshield, the dash of my car gets really HOT. Much hotter than the air in the car. Anecdotally, I keep LED lights in my glove compartment, in a vinyl bag attached to my ash-tray, and in my trunk. They've been there for the past 10 years? I have not noted any degradation of output of the LEDs. As a side note: LiIon batteries don't do really well in the heat. Yet, back in the day when dash mounted Garmen navigation systems were all the rage, many would be left mounted on the dash, in direct sunlight for years. My battery lasted 10 years but its capacity was greatly diminished by then.

So... all in all, I would just keep it out of the direct sun light, and not worry about it.

Attachments

• 1627724269324.png
    1627724269324.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1627728697607.png
    1627728697607.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scotty321

Interesting you mention that, as I don't seem to have as many issues with tools in my glove compartment or trunk. Things I keep on the floor in the back seat area tend to rust because of the condensation from going from cooler (night) to hotter (day). I notice this more on carbon steel tools, but it's also happened with a stainless 420 knife blade (Leatherman MT) on a bedroom floor when I lived in an apartment and kept the bedroom windows open at night to save on AC.

Now that I think of it, I need to get my headlamp out my car...

Megalamuffin

I don’t like having lights in the hot car during the summer, but I have yet to have a problem. When I have them in the car they are either in a bag or covered up by something and that seems to help keep them cooler.