Flashlights in Space

Raze

Enlightened
The costs to bring that light up there must be..erm, astronomical.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the price difference between cheap lights and expensive lights should be pretty negligible in the face of how much it costs to lift heavy equipment into orbit.
I remember reading about old lunar landing era flashlights using silver oxide batteries a while ago... I wonder what happened to those.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Gene shoud send them an LED upgrade, because once that things up there it will never be replaced with the cost of getting equuipment up there... We should start a Fund Drive to raise some money and donate some Malkoff Upgrades to NASA. CPF in spaceeeeee.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? Why not?

The worst that can happen with alkalines when they go sour is they spew acidic jizz and render whatever device that they are crammed into unusable.

Lithiums, on the other hand... Tend to give more spectacular results when they fail.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be bothered to find it, but there's a thread in the archives with a photo showing li-ion batteries at their worst, and the explosion it caused would certianly render a space station a floating coffin.

It was powerful enough to blow holes into the concrete/tile floor the light was dropped on. It blew out the glass from the door and tore shreds of aluminium off the door track.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm....I wonder what batteries were used in the Surefire light that was made for the Discovery space shuttle that I have....well the 6P bezel anyway.
It has definately been used and has N.A.S.A on one side and DISCOVERY on the other side and is black with the older hex bexel with the lexan window.
I also have 2 Surefire 6P style tailcaps with N.A.S.A Space Crew - DISCOVERY in black and an HAIII N.A.S.A Space Crew tailcap.
Maybe they were just made to give to members of the crew?...
Unfortunately I can't post pics from this computer but they're are some in the "Show your rare and unusual Surefires" thread.

Swede74

Enlightened
Anything that's sent into space is researched and tested and tested again, lithiums haven't had the testing (and/or they don't like the results of the testing they've seen..)

NiMH cells are, to the best of my knowledge, well tested and as safe (or safer) than alkalines. Rechargeable NiMH cells would be my choice if I were to embark on a space trip, but of course, I'm not an astronaut. I imagine that on the space stations (I think there are two in orbit now) they have access to some of the best solar chargers ever made.