Flat tactical

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for alternatives to the Surefire Stilleto. What else is available in slim flat lights? Thanks

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi daveontuval!
If you provide more parameters regarding use and expectations, we might be able to specify something appropriate.
My always-with-me flashlight is a high CRI Nitecore Tip on an ITW grimloc. When night falls however, a more capable light will also be at hand, though.

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Surefire Stilleto Pro is perfect for me except for the price!! So, similar slim tactical lights for around $100. 1,000 lumen, high and low. No need for strobe. Does that help?

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
From the lack of suggestions I can only assume that the Surefire Stiletto Pro is a pretty unique light. Nothing I've found seems to match it's shape and function. I have found a number of 2 x AA battery lights side by side, such as the Manker T02 (which I've ordered to take a look at) but only the Streamlight Wedge is as slim as the SureFire. Will probably order the Wedge to check it out.

3oni

Newly Enlightened
The Wedge is an interesting light. I loved the rocker switch and especially the form factor, but disliked the tint (and CRI) and the lack of a low mode. I wound up concluding there were no lights like it that matched my needs, and went back to other form factors for my EDC lights.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will probably order the Wedge to check it out.

I don't have one, but am familiar with it on paper, and based on what I know about the Wedge and your stated requirements that's what I would go with right now. As lithium polymer cells make their way further into the category there will undoubtedly be other options to come, but for now, the Wedge looks like the best choice to me. I had one on order at release but cancelled that due to availability issues at the time, but may yet re-order one. If you try one, let us know what you think!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Tube, Tip, Tip SE, Tip 2, Tini, Tini 2, Tup, T4K. Acebeam had a nice side by side 2 AAA but it may be discontinued. Not sure if you'd consider any of these as tactical though.

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify the use of a light like this. I've no shortage of tactical lights which I carry on my belt. I'm looking for a light when I'm not expecting to need a flashlight. During the day or off duty. Close to a 1000 lumens and slim enough to want me to carry it when I really have no need.

Yes I've got some of those pocket lights which are great for close work, but not for lighting up a dark room for example (basement during the day)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore TIP SE uses a pair of Osram P8 emitters for a claim of 700 lumens. Seems like a dark basement would have to be pretty large for that TIP to fall short. The Nitecore TUP takes it up to 1000 lumens

This also brings up a peeve regarding the 'professional' makers like Streamlight and the other S-Fire brand; They seem to think we consumers don't need to worry our pretty little heads about what LED is in their flashlight. They will handle that and we are not welcome to ask. Is this observation missing the mark? I'd rather buy American, but it needs to be good stuff.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tup goes up to 1000 lumens, not 100. T4K goes up to 4000.
Ultimately this is about not only useful function but identity. Some people want to carry gear with a certain élan, and that is fine. Big I Designs has a nice Titanium pen that can use a multitude of refills: Looks good, feels good, works good, but tragedy if lost. Most days I carry something much less expensive, but enjoy using the expensive one for certain occasions or when the desire arises. Good luck with whatever choice to the thread maker here, hopefully have fun.

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
Received the Manker T02 today and will be carrying it for a while to see if it can perform the same functions as the Surefire Stilleto Pro. Doesn't sit well in the pocket and is head up. Still it's only $50 so let's see how we go.

Attachments

• 35C227E7-5F2B-4817-BEB5-C66D06992929.jpeg
    35C227E7-5F2B-4817-BEB5-C66D06992929.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 109

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying this light for a while now. It sits in an inside pocket of a cargo pant pocket. I haven't had any problem with the light turning on accidentally. Im using regular batteries and I'm not impressed with the output. The flashlight itself is well made and is heavier than it looks. I've ordered the Streamlight wedge to see if it's a better alternative. The Manker would make a good bedside flashlight.

Attachments

• 022C3736-4F48-4489-8361-BA960F55C0C6.jpeg
    022C3736-4F48-4489-8361-BA960F55C0C6.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 127

daveontuval

Newly Enlightened
Finally received my Streamlight Wedge today and even after a few hours playing with it I'm seriously impressed. For such a small compact size it puts out an amount of light to make it a useful EDC light. The 300 lumens at the normal setting can easily light up a room. Add to that the 35 second 1000 lumen burst makes this small flashlight suitable as a backup to a tactical light.

Attachments

• B6BCD1F5-C40B-4F13-A410-A36DDCB8E733.jpeg
    B6BCD1F5-C40B-4F13-A410-A36DDCB8E733.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 97