Fluorescent Pocket Light from Radio Shack

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, you`re right. That`s a typo, I meant to just put CFT (compact flourescent tube).

From what I can tell, the tubes are identical to 5 watt PL type replacement tubes for mains powered fixtures, and with a little skill to remove the plug-in base (that also houses a glow-starter) it is possible to use one to replace a burned out tube in the Osram lights. Not done it myself yet, but in theory it works.

grin.gif

recercare

Enlightened
They sell all of the Mini and Mobile versions of Dulux, Combi and Accu Combi where I live. Nice lights!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my RadioShack version in my car with the bad switch. It had turned itself on and drained the batteries. It now seems to be in a permanent on mode. I guess I'll just store it empty in a bag or box with batteries.

artar

Enlightened
today i got 1 osram pocket 2000 (my 3rd one).
this is becouse of the 2000 in the name a newer version.
its case has a modern (round) design and the battery-box caps are different from the original version.
these caps are on the edge between rear-side and end of the body.

i-1.JPG

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I picked one up from Radio Shack. But on mine, the bottom of the "U" does not light up. The two legs of the "U" are not lit up evenly.

Is this normal or do I need to exchange mine?

Thanks,
- Vikas

freeze12

Enlightened
Hello... I am new to the board & am learning a lot. Thank's for the info. on the RS Fluorescent light as I live in Buffalo,NY & just cleaned them out of 20 of the light's!!

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
wow, sounds like someone's got the flashaholism bad!! or do you have a specific use for them?

- Pete

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have scrounged around and found 8 of these little guys on clearence, and with hurricane season coming on down here all the family is thrilled. I have been running mine on Nimhs and have been very pleaseed with it.

freeze12

Enlightened
pjenkins00 .... Well I paid a great price on each light "$2.99" each! So I said: what the heck & bought the 20 RadioShack had! I have one prior to buying these & really liked the light so I could not resist the clearance price. I will sell or trade the rest as I am a Flash a Holic :) I am looking for a good keychain light or a good AA or AAA light. Glad I founf this Forum!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
For emergency use I have a bunch of Energizer folding lanterns (4xD). They are a really innovative design, give a surprising amount of light (although their runtime is somewhat exaggerated in the ads, but not by much)and fold to an impressively compact little package. I also have several 8xD Colemans and a couple of 8xD Dorcy "Luminator" lanterns which I tested at 45 hrs straight burn on both tubes. They're waterproof, smaller than any of the Coleman 8D's, not as bright but more than adequately bright.

I'm not sure what role the little Osram or similar mini-fluorescents would play in a power outage. They're cute and they definitely stimulate my Flashaholic buying reflex, but how could I justify the purchase functionally?

Brightnorm

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by brightnorm:

I'm not sure what role the little Osram or similar mini-fluorescents would play in a power outage.
Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh, oh. Common Sense detector activated, alarms are sounding here. I'll try to ignore 'em and continue stopping at every RS store I see.

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey Brightnorm!
I have a total of 4 of these lights. I figure they'd be perfect for walking around the house during a power failure; leave the kerosene and 8D lanterns in the kitchen and other "gathering places". If anybody has little kids, these would be excellent night lights. Even if they leave them on until the batteries die, you're only out about a buck for 2 AAs.
Kirk

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Marc and Kirk,

I feel my common sense circuit shorting out, I'm uncontrollably turning in the direction of one of those stores, I'm getting my wallet out... must...have....light...fluorescent..light...must....ha...

Brightnorm

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont let the 11.99 price scare you off .
most stores i cleaned out hadnt repriced their stock.
the all rang 2.97
if anyone has trouble finding these i will have a few extras.still plenty in dayton oh

Saaby

Flashaholic
After whining and whining that my Energizer Folding LED was enough something (I like to call it Flashaholicitis) inside me suddenly said I needed one. Fortunatly I also needed some pants--KMart is right next to Radio Shack, no pants, no light...dang! Oh well guess we'll have to go to...the Mall, oh look a Radio Shack, oh look, last one on the shelf, but marked at $6.97. Oh Please do a price check on this light Mr.Radio Shack dude, ah! $2.97...I'll take it
smile.gif

Michael

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up one of the Pocket Fluorescent lights at a RadioShack in Newton, MA for $2.97. There were at least 3 to 5 left, so local Flashaholics take note.

Nice little light. Appears bright in a small bathroom with no windows. Must wait until it gets dark so I can check it out in the rest of the house. Seems somewhat fragile though, like it wouldn't survive a several foot drop to a hard floor. Might make a good tent light.