Fluorescent Pocket Light from Radio Shack

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it`s meant mainly to clip into a shirt pocket, I`ve done this in the past and it was OK, pulled down a bit though but not excessively. I`ve also looped a bit of wire through the clip and hung it up near where I was working, total hands free solution
grin.gif

FYI I have a review of one at the Torch Reviews site in the Flourescent section. I like them, they are extremely handy as close-up illuminators for my photos, they seem to work well with the old video camera.

(and yes, I do know I spell flourescent wrong, but thanks anyway to everyone who`s written to tell me so far
tongue.gif
)

freeze12

Enlightened
I am in Buffalo,NY. and if anyone need's some I would be willing to do a trade or whatever as I bought 20 of the Light's from RadioShack.....Can You say "flash-a-Holic" :) PS; I am leaving (driving) for South Florida (Ft.Myer's) at the end of the month so if anyone is near,,,I will bring some of the light's

By the way: i am new to the Board. My name is Dan & You Guy's & this Board are going to Bankrupt Me!! :)

freeze12

Enlightened
Kirk .... Both! As I am & alway's was addicted to flashlight's for a long time ans now I stumble across this fantastic Board..Uh-Oh!!! :)

snakebite... as an Auto Tech. I was looking for an unusual web handle & refrigeration being one of the many thing's I do I choose "freeze12" Very good at picking that up as not too many know what freeze12 is!
I ordered My first light (Ultra G) off of Frank & awaiting the arrival & i must say: frank & the service is the best I have had! He sure has My business!!!!

Well..... Off to Wally-Mart to buy the new Folding Fluorescent$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

freeze12

Enlightened
Saaby .... I bought both the "LED & the Fluorescent at Wal-Mart today. Little dissapointed on the CCFL Coleman folding light though as I expected more light output. The Arc White put's out a heck of a lot more light'
If there is a Big Lot's where You are at...in the sale's flyer today they have a "2 million Candle Power rechargeable Spotlight on sale for $15.99!!!

Saaby

Flashaholic
But what aboeu the LED, and which fluorescent did you get then? The Coleman one, I thought you were implying the 4D battery Energizer one.

freeze12

Enlightened
Saaby .... I bought the Energizer Folding LED light & just finished putting foil tape as a better reflector. I purchased the Rayovac folding CCFL light. wish I would have gotten the 4D instead. The Energizer LED light will make a great Maplight & reading light.

Saaby

Flashaholic
While you're at Wally world get one of those Folding LED lights. The flouressent is a little brighter but the LED has much better battery life so you can, well, choose the correct light for the apropiate occasion
grin.gif

Freeze12 as in R-12? The stuff that puts holes in the Ozone layer? Let some R134A go when we were maintencing my sisters car but no harm done. Did you know (Anyone) that those compressed air keyboard things are actually a can of R134A refrigerent srtapped to a trgger nozzle thing!? So you shoot the same stuff into your keyboard that keeps your car cool...

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
When I tried to use the Energizer folding LED behind the computer, the coverage was nice, but it didn't have enough brightness for my 50+ eyes. I got one of the RS Fluorescent Pocket Lights and it's a much MUCH brighter floodlight. I had a cheap calculator stand that I had gotten at RS for a couple of bucks. Poking holes in it and adding a tie-wrap made using the clip on the light far easier. This combination is the greatest $5 aid for working behind the computer or stereo ever. Its battery consumption makes rechargeables the best option.

I also noticed, by accident, that when I placed the light face up on a bookshelf, the light on the ceiling lit up the whole room enough to get around quite easily. I left another Fluorescent Pocket Light up there for power failures. Nice hands free light while I get the longer term measures going. I read one post that said that lithiums might not be good for this light, so I'll use alkalines for this.

I used to complain about my Rural Electric Co-op power going out so often, now I look forward to it - is this flashlight thing an illness or what?

MarcV

Enlightened
While walking the Gurnee Mall (far northern Illinois) last night, we stepped into the Radio Shack store to see if they had any of these fluorescents left.

1) Yes, there are plenty available even after my friends and I bought a dozen.

2) The price is now down to $1.97 each.

Check it out unless you are one of my grandchildren. In that case wait for Christmas.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I was just there Saturday Marc and got 4 myself. The guys at the counter were suprised when I asked them to check the price and it rang up $1.97. The ones on the back wall were still marked $11.95 and the ones on the counter were "on sale" for $4.95. They still had about 30 left.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the RS stock number on these?

Freeze12 as in R-12? The stuff that puts holes in the Ozone layer?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not R-12, but a blend substitute intended for a drop in replacement, unlike R134, which needs a conversion to fittings and other things.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've been waiting for this topic to pop back up because I wanted to post but haven't had the ambition to search it out...

Anyone noticed the afterglow on these? In a very dark room turn one on for a but, 4 or 5 seconds is plenty. then turn it off...the tube continues to glow for a bit. I realize this is probably just extra energy running out of the capacitors and such but it's still a very cool phenomenon.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:

Anyone noticed the afterglow on these? In a very dark room turn one on for a but, 4 or 5 seconds is plenty. then turn it off...the tube continues to glow for a bit. I realize this is probably just extra energy running out of the capacitors and such but it's still a very cool phenomenon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Being careful, you can remove the lens off of that light and place a slim piece of Glowtape or AlienSkin inside, for a utility eerie glow after- effect. Replace the lens, and the light will charge up the tape very nicely, so you can always see the light -on or off.
cool.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Or I can try some GID paint...I have some but it probably needs to be thinned and remixed, cool stuff but I'm having some problems with it--I'll have to talk to Mr.Glow.

What's the trick to getting the lens off? I've had the back of the case off which made me realize how finely engineered this light (With the exception of the clip possibly) really is...extremely "dense" inside.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
Or I can try some GID paint...I have some but it probably needs to be thinned and remixed, cool stuff but I'm having some problems with it--I'll have to talk to Mr.Glow.

What's the trick to getting the lens off? I've had the back of the case off which made me realize how finely engineered this light (With the exception of the clip possibly) really is...extremely "dense" inside.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">mr.glow here;-that lens will come off using jewelers s-driver starting by Gently inserting and prying by the center and at the top of the lens. Take your time, so you don't crack (
frown.gif
) it! Before reassembly, it's a really good idea to lightly coat the edges of the lens with silicone based spray furn. polish (w/Q-tip), so that it can be subsequently be popped off a lot easier.

If you're having problems with the Glow-paint, feel free to email me, as I've used a bit of that stuff myself in the past.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Not nice to change your name like that, I thought it might be you but wasn't positive because of the name change and the location change
frown.gif