For the outdoors: SAK or Multitool?

wquiles

Flashaholic
True. However, whether he was lacking common sense or not, he survived, which is why I consider it amazing, even if he lost an arm while doing it.

Like Mr. Doug Ritter said, hopefully this would serve as a lesson to others to be better prepared.

Will

Deanster

Enlightened
I saw Ralston on Letterman, and he seemed like an amazing guy - not at all the reckless and irresponsible type. I came away pretty convinced that he made a set of thoughtful choices about what he was doing, accepted the risks, and took full responsibility for getting himself out (with the help of a multitool) when he got into trouble. I don't think the ETS crowd is wrong - Ralston didn't need to end up where he did, but once there, he showed amazing fortitude in solving his problem.

I used to joke about being willing to chew off my arm to get out of a meeting. Since Ralston's story came out, I don't do that anymore.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Agree with Deanster

I did just a brief read, but it seems that Ralston been through much and I guess nobody in his position would enjoy having another person whom wasn't in his ordeal commenting on his mistakes even though Ritter said nothing wrong.

I would think that Ralston is a great survivalist in his own right. Everyone makes mistakes or misses sometime and no one is invulenrable to unfortunate events, either greater or lesser degree.

Last edited:

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
This argument occurs every couple of years. Way back when it was the heavy Bowie knife. After, there were some who favored and pushed hatchets. Later, the late great was the Boy Scouts Knife. (After all, who fights bears and other wild animals anymore?) The late 60's, early 70's brought us the seriously misguided double edge, serrated dagger "survival knives". (Remember them?) Remember the heavy folders like the Buck 110 of the late 70's? Then the hollow-handle survival knives? Then the SAK's, the multi-tools... There is NO single one-size-fits-all choice! Never has been, isn't now, won't ever be.

Ask the proper questions: where are you going, what are you doing, what are your risks, what needs repair, what help/rescue can you expect... what is your worst case scenario?

If it is a short hike on a heavily used path an SAK would be fine. If you may need to maintain equipment (mountain bike, skis, hunting equipment...) a multi-tool would be necessity. If you are going cross country, flying a plane, going kayaking deep into an area, you really need a heavy sheath knife.

Tailor your equipment to your expected needs. Carry multiple items. Picking out splinters is NOT the forte of a lawn mower blade heavy sheath knife. Trying to chop enough wood to keep a fire going in snowy/rainy conditions is NOT POSSIBLE with an SAK. If you need pliers, you NEED pliers...

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
Deanster said:
The Leatherman concept is to have a mix of full-size and mid-size tools in a somewhat larger package.
Leatherman have several ranges. The bigger ones are like that, but the Juice range isn't what I'd call "full-sized" and I wouldn't use its pliers on a tough job through choice. And they have even smaller key-ring sized multitools too.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
The multi vs SAK issue is debated every now and then. IMHO the SAK is for the user that needs a knife with tools more than pliers and the multi is for the plier with tools user that needs an added blade. I prefer the Swisstool models for multis and have many SAK models. I EDC a Swisstool Spirit and have a Swisstool X in my EDC bag along with a Vic Soldier SAK. I would be happy with the Swisstool X in the woods and would add a small SAK for toothpick, tweezers and straight blade. On the other hand, I have used only the Vic Huntsmen in the woods many times with no issues. The only way to really know is to try for yourself. Take one or the other on your next trip and see how it works for you.

paulr

Flashaholic
I just haven't seen a multi-tool as that good a substitute for a real pliers (eg. vise-grip). I wish they'd make vise-grips from titanium, though that would probably cost a bundle.

Deanster

Enlightened
Brangdon - you are of course correct about the various Leatherman ranges - I actually EDC a Juice S2, which is very lightweight and unsuitable for heavy work of nearly any kind, but I elected brevity over comprehensiveness (rare for me)...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were camping a couple of years ago--stayed in a minicabin. The door was goofed up, so I went to my car, and grabbed a cheapie gift multi tool I keep in the glovebox. It has a bunch of tools, including a "hammer head". The hammer worked well to pound part of the frame back into alignment.

It wasn't perfect, but worked very well for the tasks.

Since then, I have the Swisstool, which I think I could do almost anything with. The tools lock, and the darn thing is tough.

But I still love the SAKs, and would guess one of the larger models would be fine for most issues.

If possible, I would have both.

Bob

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a building engineer, i carry Leatherman with me al the time, it is extremely useful, but it has it's limits, I do not see it being much useful to install a sink, i mean you could use its saw to cut out an opening for a sink in a countertop, if it is a particle board one, or a plywood, it is possible but it is like washing a floor with a toothbrush, then you got 6 to 10 clips that attach the sink to the countertop, usually there isn't much room for a hand with a multitool there to move around, you either need a long screwdriver, or a socket with an extension. multitools are great weight savers, it gives you ability to do some work without having to go and get your toolbox, but It is NOT a replacement for the right tool for the job.
as far as camping, hell yes, i never go camping without one, or two, Leatherman wave+ is the best for camping in my experience,

3_gun

Enlightened
Within arms reach I have a Leatherman Wave, Wave+, Surge, Rebar & PST. SAK Cybertool 31, Hercules, a vintage Champ, a couple of Tinkers & a few others that I don't remember names for right now. So yes they're useful for whatever you're needing to do

[ forgot my LM Charge Ti ]

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of the new modular GOAT multitools on the way, will be very interested to see how they go.

yearnslow

Enlightened
I have a SAK 'hunter'model, a Leatherman wave and a Super tool. You can't beat a leatherman outdoors.
I've yet to try any of the other makes of multi tool.
An Estwing hatchet, a wave and a good 6 inch blade are indispensable in the outdoors!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pocket carry a Vic "Hiker" SAK but have a 90's era Leatherman PST-II in my daily carry backpack. If I had to choose one, it would be the multi-tool. You never know when you're gonna need a pair of pliers.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I like to carry my SAK Fieldmaster while camping. That said, if I was never coming back I'd be carrying my 2003 Leatherman Wave ;)

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SAK that is a multitool too. When I was in 6th or 7th grade I became interested in SAKs. My father had a Victorinox but my m8's sister had a Wenger. I had thought there was only one brand of real Swiss ones but there are at least four different companies. I took some catalogues from a shop in town with Wengers in it. They were the serrated knife versions. I couldn't afford one then and stole one instead. Eventually Kmart and Dunhams Sports started selling Wengers and I bought a bunch of them but traded or sold them all. Sometime later Wenger closed down and I picked up the current model at a pawn shop. I understand it to be a low production model but for me it is a daily user. I think it is better to use it then let it sit in a collection somewhere collecting dust. Sometimes I'll buy a PB Swisstools bit for it on an as needed basis. I have been using it since 2016 or so.

Leathermans, Gerber, or any quality multitool is useful in the woods. Just buy the best you can afford and don't lose it.

Attachments

• D7B026F0-FA95-418D-BD3F-33533694EF5A.jpeg
    D7B026F0-FA95-418D-BD3F-33533694EF5A.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 66

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using Leatherman tools for decades, among other brands, now for over 10 years i carry a wave, IMO the best tool for a building engineer. However recently I noticed a friend of mine had a copy of wave, called FLISSA that costs half of what wave costs, i looked at it closely and to me it looked just like the wave as far as quality, so i decided to buy one and test it at work, to see if it is as good as it looks, well It is just as good as the wave, even better, since it uses common 1/4 bits, not Leatherman flat bits. it feels just like the wave and is build pretty much like the wave. one thing it does not have is Leatherman warranty, which it great, i had them fix/replace multitools with no question asked. i've done it half a dozen of times over 25 years span. However if you brake the flissa, you will have to throw it away and buy a new one. cuz they have no support like Leatherman does, but it costs half as much.
s-l500.jpg

wave-plus-silver-fanned.jpg

Last edited: