Forward clickie vs reverse clickie (or the opposite one)

BlahHead

Newly Enlightened
Hi torch-bearers,

I was just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a forward/reverse clickie would be.
Is it true that forward clickies are hard to make? Then, why do we prefer it?

Cheers!

rudy

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the forward clickie, also for it's ability to have a momentary on. I actually hadn't seen a reverse clickie until one of my friends gave me a light with one. In practice they will both work the same, but the reverse does not have the momentary on capability--it has to be fully clicked forward and released before the light comes on.

As for making them, not sure of the differences.

madnor

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, the only advantage of a forward clicky is the momentary-on ability. I like the reverse clicky because I prefer to scroll through modes while the light is already on rather than before I turn it on.

BlahHead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

So, from the posts, a forward clickie seems better for momentary on functions.
Can you also scroll though the modes with a half push?

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
This just makes me wonder... Can anyone design a clicky that has the best of both worlds.. Forward momentary but the ability to scroll through modes and features while they are on without having to turn off the light. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

chicken dave

Newly Enlightened
So, from the posts, a forward clickie seems better for momentary on functions.
Can you also scroll though the modes with a half push?

No, the forward clickie does not allow scrolling while on. Scrolling must be done before clicking fully on. I agree with whizdumb, if anyone makes a forward/reverse combo, I'm in!

BlahHead

Newly Enlightened
No, the forward clickie does not allow scrolling while on. Scrolling must be done before clicking fully on. I agree with whizdumb, if anyone makes a forward/reverse combo, I'm in!

This just makes me wonder... Can anyone design a clicky that has the best of both worlds.. Forward momentary but the ability to scroll through modes and features while they are on without having to turn off the light. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

I second the motion!

Third!! :D

computernut

Enlightened
Forward clicky for me. I find Reverse clickies harder to push for some reason. I prefer having momentary so I like forward clickies. I don't like scrolling through disco modes, two modes (high,low or low, high) and then click to lock it in.

beerwax

Enlightened
forward clickys r a pain for scrolling thru modes. if a torch requires mode scrolling get a reverse clicky. or better still a different torch

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like forward clickies for some items and reverse for others. Forward clickies sometimes have to be locked out in transport because they can be jammed on without even clicking them while reverse clickies will not turn on at all till they get past the click stage. Forward clickies end up failing more often and are harder to find replacements for. I just replaced a defective forward clicky with a reverse clicky in a 2AA rayovac incan swivel light as it started to get where it would not turn on any more without clicking it a bunch of times. I think forward clickies are more fragile and succeptible to damage. Many smaller lights have digital switches (momentary) that lock on which I am preferring if they are not vampirically hungry. A forward clicky on a lantern is not very useful, nor a fluorescent light or any light with a start up time involved like HID.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago, I would only use lights with forward clickies and momentary on. I was a single mode kind of guy. The Shiningbeam L-Mini II changed that for me. Why? Because the beauty of the reverse clicky in this implementation meant that the light was dead simple to use, click on, click off, with a different mode available if and only if you wanted it, by lightly depressing the switch when on.

The forward clicky with momentary is in my experience the preferred clicky when you want/need momentary and/or are using a single mode light. It would also be the preferred clicky when using a multimode light which changes modes using a mechanism other than the clicky switch itself, i.e. with a head twist or separate switch on the body of the light. For me:

One mode light?

Forward clicky with momentary

Multimode light with mode changing through tailcap switch?

Reverse clicky

Multimode light with mode changing through mechanism other than tailcap switch?

Forward clicky with momentary

...and that's how I like my lights!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all of my lights have forward-clickies, even the multi-mode ones. I've learned to simply double-click the button if I overshoot the mark and click it when switching modes. The only reverse-clicky I have in the group is on the light that is installed on my HD shotgun. That's because I absolutely want to make sure that the light turns on when I press the button. A short-stroke of the button will not have the light come on momentarily then turn off again, allowing an intruder the chance to make their move, it has to be clicked before it will turn on and that's what I need it to do.

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened

The LED Lenser MT7 will do this, as well as others from that line (the M14 does it). So it can be done, and has been done.. Why other manufacturers haven't done it, I have no idea.