Fossil or renewable. What is the future?

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
And that mentality is unfortunately being cultivated, in America.
True freedom and independence takes effort. Nowadays we have a significant number of the population who'll happily trade that effort and necessary hard work, in exchange for comfort. Why think, why do; why be burdened when you can let others make those decisions for you. It's easy being a slave if you're not actually forced to do back-breaking labor on a daily basis.
Comfort and convenience have been the ruin of more than one civilization.

"…Comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master?

Ay, and it becomes a tamer, and with hook and scourge makes puppets of your larger desires.

Though its hands are silken, its heart is of iron.

It lulls you to sleep only to stand by your bed and jeer at the dignity of the flesh.

It makes mock of your sound senses, and lays them in thistledown like fragile vessels.

Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral."

— Khalil Gibran in The Prophet, 1923

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Which is actually saying nothing.
I gotta stop arguing with you guys.
17186787570027577437198219164437.jpg

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I can't explain it. Range Rovers are highly desirable and are huge status symbols. But, they are at or near the bottom of every reliability survey. I'm told that most people lease them so that after 3 years they simply get a new one. Having said that, I have a friend who bought himself a Porsche on his 50th birthday. It was so bad that he replaced it with a Range Rover!!! Also, in the UK they are one of the most stolen vehicles so that insurance is insane.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Consumer Reports releases their data on motor vehicle maintenance costs:

• As of CR's 2024 report, the cheapest car brands to repair and maintain over the first 10 years of ownership are Tesla ($4,035), Buick ($4,900), and Toyota ($4,900).
I'm sorry, but no. There is no way that a typical Buick made with substandard GM parts belongs on that list ahead of Honda and Mazda.

Back when the Chevy Trax was ACTUALLY a compact SUV, Buick had their own twin version of it that was known to suffer from horrendous issues involving the actual Big 3. Namely, Engine, Tranny, and Electrical issues. Massive ones. That $4,900 would cover one of the 3 once it failed. But nothing else.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't explain it. Range Rovers are highly desirable and are huge status symbols. But, they are at or near the bottom of every reliability survey. I'm told that most people lease them so that after 3 years they simply get a new one. Having said that, I have a friend who bought himself a Porsche on his 50th birthday. It was so bad that he replaced it with a Range Rover!!! Also, in the UK they are one of the most stolen vehicles so that insurance is insane.
You want a reliable Range Rover?
Get one of the bare-bones military ones with a manual tranny from back in the day. Those are the only ones that don't constantly break down.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Years ago I had a colleague who owned a series of Jaguar XJ's. Every one of them seemed to spend nearly as much time in the shop as they did in his driveway; nevertheless, he was so enamored with them that he continued to trade-in and then purchase a new one every couple of years.

"The heart wants what the heart wants."

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
  • Harness Power: A solar company that installed solar panels on Angela Dorsey's home in Compton, California, but failed to complete the job, leaving her with a system that doesn't work and a large debt.
  • Petersen Dean: A solar company that went bankrupt, leaving homeowners with unfinished systems on their roofs that aren't producing any power.
  • Pink Energy (formerly Power Home Solar): A national solar company that filed for bankruptcy, leaving customers with useless systems and tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
  • Concentrator Optics: A solar company that received investment from Capricorn Venture Partners to build Fresnel lenses for the CPV market, but ultimately went insolvent.
  • SolarReserve: The owner of the Tonopah Solar Energy LLC, a solar-thermal power plant that received $737 million in loans from the U.S. Department of Energy and filed for bankruptcy.
  • Solyndra: A solar panel start-up that received $535 million in government-backed loans and a $25 million tax break from California's agency for alternative energy, but ultimately filed for bankruptcy.
  • Abound Solar: A solar panel manufacturer that filed for bankruptcy, leaving 405 people unemployed and its production facilities abandoned.
  • Crap Solar: A company that failed to deliver high-quality work to its customers and could not operate profitably, leading to its downfall.

🤣

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I'm sorry, but no. There is no way that a typical Buick made with substandard GM parts belongs on that list ahead of Honda and Mazda.

Back when the Chevy Trax was ACTUALLY a compact SUV, Buick had their own twin version of it that was known to suffer from horrendous issues involving the actual Big 3. Namely, Engine, Tranny, and Electrical issues. Massive ones. That $4,900 would cover one of the 3 once it failed. But nothing else.
While CR has its issues there is a statistical reason for the Buick being there. Cheap parts. The parts that broke were cheap or the engineering department didn't do due diligence on planned obsolescence.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
  • Harness Power: A solar company that installed solar panels on Angela Dorsey's home in Compton, California, but failed to complete the job, leaving her with a system that doesn't work and a large debt.
  • Petersen Dean: A solar company that went bankrupt, leaving homeowners with unfinished systems on their roofs that aren't producing any power.
  • Pink Energy (formerly Power Home Solar): A national solar company that filed for bankruptcy, leaving customers with useless systems and tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
  • Concentrator Optics: A solar company that received investment from Capricorn Venture Partners to build Fresnel lenses for the CPV market, but ultimately went insolvent.
  • SolarReserve: The owner of the Tonopah Solar Energy LLC, a solar-thermal power plant that received $737 million in loans from the U.S. Department of Energy and filed for bankruptcy.
  • Solyndra: A solar panel start-up that received $535 million in government-backed loans and a $25 million tax break from California's agency for alternative energy, but ultimately filed for bankruptcy.
  • Abound Solar: A solar panel manufacturer that filed for bankruptcy, leaving 405 people unemployed and its production facilities abandoned.
  • Crap Solar: A company that failed to deliver high-quality work to its customers and could not operate profitably, leading to its downfall.

🤣
You can find all the gloom and doom you want, but renewable energy will price out fossil fuel by 2035.
Solar and wind power have become more cost-competitive with fossil fuels over the past 15 years, and in some cases are cheaper. In 2022, the average cost of electricity from solar PV was 89% lower than in 2010, and the average cost of onshore wind was 69% lower. In 2023, solar and wind power with storage could cost as little as $0.04 per kilowatt-hour (kWh), while fossil fuels could cost up to $0.22 per kWh.

IRENA

Renewables Competitiveness Accelerates, Despite Cost Inflation
Aug 29, 2023 — For the last 13 to 15 years, renewable power generation costs from solar and wind power have been falling. Between 2010 and 2022, solar and wind power became cost-competitive with fossil fuels even without financial support. The global weighted average cost of electricity from solar PV fell by 89 per cent to USD 0.049/kWh, almost one-third less than the cheapest fossil fuel globally. For onshore wind the fall was 69 per cent to USD 0.033/kWh in 2022, slightly less than half that of the cheapest fossil fuel-fired option in 2022.

IRENA

Renewable Power Generation Costs in 2022 - IRENA
Aug 29, 2023 — The economic benefits of solar and wind technologies – in addition to their environmental benefits – are now compelling. Owing to soaring fossil fuel prices, the 2021-2022 period saw one of the largest improvements in the competitiveness of renewable power in the last two decades. In 2010, the global weighted average LCOE of onshore wind was 95% higher than the lowest fossil fuel-fired cost; in 2022, the global weighted average LCOE of new onshore wind projects was 52% lower than the cheapest fossil fuel-fired solutions. However, this improvement was surpassed by that of solar PV.
1718914614719.png
1718914614719.png

Arcadia

Unpacking the true cost of fossil fuels - Arcadia
Jul 14, 2023 — When it comes to the cost of new power generation, onshore wind and solar are now the cheapest sources of energy, even less than gas or coal. Onshore wind and solar with storage can cost as little as $0.04 per kilowatt-hour (kWh), while fossil fuels can cost up to $0.22 per kWh.
Generative AI is experimental.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Fisker, manufacturer of EV's, recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time; https://apnews.com/article/fisker-bankruptcy-electric-vehicle-4b5b01887c2b56ddaf7e2c71ef5c0bc0

Rivian and Lucid are both in deep trouble with massive layoffs and cutbacks and their stocks are at all-time lows; https://www.investors.com/news/rivian-stock-ev-startup-lays-off-workers-lucid-production-forecast/

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/who-will-be-the-next-tesla-killer-to-go-bankrupt

To quote Elon Musk, "Prototypes are easy, production is hard and achieving positive cash flow is excruciating".

It took Tesla 10 years to realize a profit. And even their stock is now worth less than half what it was from its all-time highs.
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some encouragement, well I'm here.
I'll cover my eyes, drop off some presents and promptly leave.

Any rational people in the room, enjoy.