Found my Surefire 6P!

PastorGman

Newly Enlightened
Going through some accessories in plastic bins and found my Surefire 6P Original. Hadn't been turned on in about two years, at least. I purchased one of those cheap Chinese remote switches to mount on my AR and it worked, too. Not a lot of lumens, obviously, but it proves these are rock solid lights. I probably got this one in 2004 or 2005 from and old Army buddy at Fort Hood, TX. Was going to sell but it's a keeper. Any recommendations on minor maintenance on these? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5650.jpg
    IMG_5650.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 143

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might not need to do this since it's been "protected" in a plastic bin, but you might want to consider unscrewing the head (bezel) and tailcap/switch assembly, cleaning the threads with a single-use alcohol pad, and then re-lubing the threads and o-rings with a silicone grease like Nyogel. If it's using an incan lamp assembly as the light engine, replacing the bulb with a quality led drop-in like one of the 6v Malkoff modules is going to let the batteries last a lot longer. Oh, and congratulations on finding a lost friend!

PastorGman

Newly Enlightened
You might not need to do this since it's been "protected" in a plastic bin, but you might want to consider unscrewing the head (bezel) and tailcap/switch assembly, cleaning the threads with a single-use alcohol pad, and then re-lubing the threads and o-rings with a silicone grease like Nyogel. If it's using an incan lamp assembly as the light engine, replacing the bulb with a quality led drop-in like one of the 6v Malkoff modules is going to let the batteries last a lot longer. Oh, and congratulations on finding a lost friend!
Thank you for the info. Will get on it ASAP. Is Nyogel available online only?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Nyogel' and 'Lubri-film' are considered good, (and Malkoff carries it). Auto parts stores (and hardware stores?) tend to carry silicone grease, but I am not knowledgeable enough about different silicone greases to know what makes one better for flashlights, or whether the brand truly makes a major difference. I just know that Nyogel and Lubri-film are highly regarded by folks here, which is why I ordered some online awhile back. Hopefully someone more informed about silicone greases than I can weigh in here.

Edit: Sorry, one more nit-picking point. Black o-rings are made out of a synthetic rubber. If you come across red o-rings, they are usually made of silicone, and you shouldn't use silicone-based lubricants with those, because it will start to cause the silicone o-ring to 'break down' over time.

Last edited:

chip100t

Enlightened
I looked for nyogel here in the uk and it was to rich for my blood so bought silicone grease from my local dive shop. I figured if it's good enough for O rings when scuba diving at the bottom of the sea it will be good enough for my flashlight that might experience the odd bit of rain.

PastorGman

Newly Enlightened
I looked for nyogel here in the uk and it was to rich for my blood so bought silicone grease from my local dive shop. I figured if it's good enough for O rings when scuba diving at the bottom of the sea it will be good enough for my flashlight that might experience the odd bit of rain.
Makes sense. Thanks.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I have a tube on Nyogel 760g for threads and a tube of Nyogel 7797Z for the O rings. I got them from Oveready back in the days when they stocked it about 10 years ago. Still got plenty left.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
stay strong thngs will get better im so sorry you found that incan light 60 lumens and big as a pickle lol

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always upgrade to an led drop-in when the original dies. That light can handle the heat since it's a metal light, so you can always go for higher lumens

bridgman

Enlightened
Congrats on finding it.

I'll also mention that if you put in a single 16650 (or 17650 if it fits) and a Lumens Factory HO-4 gives you a nice 150 lumens of incandescent. You can also use 2 RCR 123's and an HO-9 but that comes with a lot less runtime.