FourSevens Maelstrom MMU-X3

carrot

Flashaholic
As far as I'm concerned when we're talking about a light this size moonlight mode seems pointless. I get that moonlight is a great mode but jeez, it doesn't need to be on every light.

I am happy that 47s is keeping it simple with the MMU-X3. It looks like it has two modes like its predecessor the MMU-X, which suits me fine and complements your usual EDC very nicely. Considering that it is meant for a more security-oriented market, I think these two output levels are reasonable. 200 lumens for over 10 hours sounds gravy.

Surefire did something stupid when they picked 5 lumen low for the EB2 when its high was 500, why not something more useful like 15 or even 50? I am glad that 47s didn't fall into the same trap.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i'm not gonna be clamoring for a clicky tailcap since the 5A draw isn't gonna be healthy for it :D

i'm just wondering how regulated it would be. but then again these are 3 XML2's driven at "only" 1600 lumens, that's just 533 lumens per LED, so this one's gonna be VERY efficient

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
...this one's gonna be VERY efficient

Compared to the MMU-HD it has 30% more output (without a burst mode), a wider more general purpose beam and FAR better run times, all on a single 26650 cell (vs. SIX cells). In a more compact package that costs half as much. Looks like they literally outdid themselves. Add a stainless strike bezel and Law Enforcement just found their new light.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
So is the math correct? 2hrs on High? at 1600lumens?

Unfortunately not. At 5 amps the 4Ah battery would last ~45 minutes. It would be interesting to see how the thermal regulation works, but a step down to 650-800 lumens would be necessary to comply with the 2.5h run time.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Unfortunately not. At 5 amps the 4Ah battery would last ~45 minutes. It would be interesting to see how the thermal regulation works, but a step down to 650-800 lumens would be necessary to comply with the 2.5h run time.

Yeah, good catch on this DTS. For most of us it's obvious but it's still a very good and valid question from dragonhead.

I guess my only remaining reservation would be with how they set up the thermal regulation. To be honest, my copper S12 stepped down (thermally) within minutes of high activation, and it wasn't very hot. After it stepped to low, then it would gradually decrease in brightness following battery voltage. I'm a bit worried that they're going to set up the MMU-X3's thermal regulation just as conservatively as they set up the S12. That would be a deal killer for me. The performance of the S12 was so disappointing that I didn't even review it and it's been waiting to be modded ever since.

carrot

Flashaholic
Whoa, wait a sec... where is this 5A figure coming from?

I couldn't pretend to know anything about the MMU-X3 but my much earlier MMU-X (or X10, as it was known) registers at 2.4A at the tailcap on high and 0.26A on low.

I don't know what the MMU-X3 is running at but I think it's probably fair to say it's not running nearly as hard as the S12. That light and that LED was generations ago and we all remember how power hungry the Luminus SST-90 was.

Patriot

Flashaholic
As far as I'm concerned when we're talking about a light this size moonlight mode seems pointless. I get that moonlight is a great mode but jeez, it doesn't need to be on every light.

I am happy that 47s is keeping it simple with the MMU-X3. It looks like it has two modes like its predecessor the MMU-X, which suits me fine and complements your usual EDC very nicely. Considering that it is meant for a more security-oriented market, I think these two output levels are reasonable. 200 lumens for over 10 hours sounds gravy.

Yeah, I guess I sort of assumed it was more than a two mode. Not sure why :duh2:

Based on the two modes, I'm fully on board with the output settings....and this is why I always like to run stuff by you guys because sometimes I miss things. :)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I couldn't pretend to know anything about the MMU-X3 but my much earlier MMU-X (or X10, as it was known) registers at 2.4A at the tailcap on high and 0.26A on low.

I don't know what the MMU-X3 is running at but I think it's probably fair to say it's not running nearly as hard as the S12. That light and that LED was generations ago and we all remember how power hungry the Luminus SST-90 was.

from david chow, in the video. seems to be reasonable. my sc52 draws about ~1.6A at 500 lumens.

my MMU-X Gen2 and X10 both draw ~3.0A

Patriot

Flashaholic

I think the original 5A poster was just using the maximum design rating for the tailcap but he X10 was a single XM-L. Can't we assume the MMUX3 to be substantially higher?

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the original 5A poster was just using the maximum design rating for the tailcap but he X10 was a single XM-L. Can't we assume the MMUX3 to be substantially higher?

For sure. I was simply illustrating that the light may not necessarily draw at the max that the tailcap is rated for.

y260

Enlightened
I am hooked on nearly everything about this light- the design, emitters, size, etc. I'm just a little put off by the UI as I want to be able to momentary without switching modes. A high-only interface would've been fine for me in this kind of light.

HIDblue

Enlightened
+1 on the UI.

I'm digging almost everything about the MMU-X3 except the UI. Seems like it would be too easy to inadvertently switch from high to low, and foursevens indicated in the MMU-X3 thread over in the cpf manufacturer's marketplace that it also has mode memory. I asked over there if the mode memory could be disabled but haven't gotten a response yet.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my FourSevens Malestrom MMU-X3

DSC_6956.jpg

DSC_6963.jpg

DSC_6968.jpg