• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

Kevin77

Newly Enlightened
Very nice light. I am in for a 18650 (351D 5000k 90CRI, if possible) . Thanks.

Kevin77

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to be put on list for a 26650 too. (351D, 5000K, 90CRI preferred), thanks.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Been away for a bit, but it is due to testing of the wireless design. I made 3 units to test and they all held up great, but with a few issues I wanted to address...which I did this week. This new model saves me a huge amount of assembly time and will be the most durable to date. The engine will start in the Lumenite lights only until I can catch up the Tiny Nugget with the technology (difficult because of the smaller size).

This is the engine I always imagined when I first started designing this light. There is now no wire, no tape or epoxy, and very few parts. All mechanically attached tightly with nothing to break (except for possibly the battery in a real outlier situation). The wireless design now self-centers the washer contact-leads over the pads with no path for them to disconnect. The LED is also self-centered, so the design only requires the leads line up with the appropriate + or - side. This is also the first design that has no possible path to short even with very high impact situations (again, unless the battery catastrophically fails through a very very high impact situation).

I'll go through the design in more detail when I get some time, but here is a pic I posted of the engine on Instagram. The light in the pic is also raw aluminum - I will be able to make these units in other materials without worrying about electric-path isolation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5l5gCrnSV_/

See you soon,
-Fraz

Kevin77

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fraz, would you please put me on the 18650 list besides the 26650. Just can't miss the 18650. Thanks.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all. I have some bad experience to share and to ask for help. Finally got my tiny nugget and lumenite but after 1 hour use i'm not happy.

1.TIR...On tiny nugget produces rings and artifats in the hotspot. Surrounding spill is terrible. After opening the LE i saw it's seated around 1-1.5mm above emitter. Don't think it should be this way. And TIR opening is more for 5050 emitters, not 3535
Samo goes for Lumenite although i couldn't see the distance between TIR and emitter cause no pill on this one.

2. Lumenite TIR retaining ring...why 5 star?
I've scratched it properly just to open/remove. Luckily no damage to the head.

3. QTC pill damaged the tube contact area...same as on Z tank although operation is still smooth but eventually it won't be anymore.

I'd be happy if i can get the lens retaining ring to use with pliers and tools you have at home other than specialized.
And TIR optic, what size and model was used? Can i buy replecement that will seat on the emitter or i need to send nugget and lumenite for a rework?
e6f286e611171d54fdf3e16f22bfc4ec.jpg
a655b7915bcf76163bd891707f1c316c.jpg
7bbc8e8120296d2eacd14fc582658af7.jpg
b1ea367d30660387c9fe2edd1c8e3279.jpg
7c4dd113a5e3523e315198ec94ab803c.jpg
7344f2565053bf7635695f38e019256e.jpg

Last edited:

TheFraz

Enlightened
Hey all. I have some bad experience to share and to ask for help. Finally got my tiny nugget and lumenite but after 1 hour use i'm not happy.

1.TIR...On tiny nugget produces rings and artifats in the hotspot. Surrounding spill is terrible. After opening the LE i saw it's seated around 1-1.5mm above emitter. Don't think it should be this way. And TIR opening is more for 5050 emitters, not 3535
Samo goes for Lumenite although i couldn't see the distance between TIR and emitter cause no pill on this one.

2. Lumenite TIR retaining ring...why 5 star?
I've scratched it properly just to open/remove. Luckily no damage to the head.

3. QTC pill damaged the tube contact area...same as on Z tank although operation is still smooth but eventually it won't be anymore.

I'd be happy if i can get the lens retaining ring to use with pliers and tools you have at home other than specialized.
And TIR optic, what size and model was used? Can i buy replecement that will seat on the emitter or i need to send nugget and lumenite for a rework?
e6f286e611171d54fdf3e16f22bfc4ec.jpg
a655b7915bcf76163bd891707f1c316c.jpg
7bbc8e8120296d2eacd14fc582658af7.jpg
b1ea367d30660387c9fe2edd1c8e3279.jpg
7c4dd113a5e3523e315198ec94ab803c.jpg
7344f2565053bf7635695f38e019256e.jpg

Id! Very sorry about your bad experience and will do all I can to remedy it.

!). These lights were never meant to be wall beamshot champs. The only goal was for usable dim-to-bright light. There are artifacts in the optics that vary between the different emitters. The seating above the emitter is on spec for the manufacturer-based plastic seating for that optic.

2). The ring is just completely from scratch like every other part in the light - no reason other than it is what came to mind. It normally requires a custom tool (also machined here) to open. But I am impressed you got it open with the needle-nosed. Maybe I need to design the rings to be user-openable in the future.

3). Where the brass piston makes contact with the aluminum tube will cause wear. That is unavoidable, but it will most certainly not cease to be smooth. Once worn in, the radius on the QTC piston (the 'pill') will form to the groove and work very well because of the difference in the metals. I have lights I use thousands of times a week I carry that are testament to this. We also have lights from 5+ years ago that are daily carriers with smaller and more destructive pistons that work as intended.

I'll be happy to help you any way I can and will custom make a retaining ring and send it to you, but the optics beam patterns are part of the cost of increased durability. I have tinkered with the optic seating countless times, and the only smooth pattern (meaning near perfect beamshots) I can meet are with the floodier emitters like the XM-L2s. I can also sub that emitter in if you want. The beams on these lights are not meant to be perfect, but as close as I can get them while being very usable and extremely durable.

Again, sorry for your inconvenience,
-Fraz

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Fraz, thx for info and caring about customers.

I can confirm that QTC and the body (although scratched) still works perfect.
Regarding TIR, well not all are made exactly as manufacturers data and i made some changes on Tiny Nugget.
I've grinded outer lip ob top of the lens so it just fell down toward the emitter.
As you can see in the picture it's leveled with emitter base. It should be 0.5mm higher but it's ok even now.
Beam is now perfect unlike first try. Not the best but way better.
BUT since lens is lowered, thicck oring has no purpose now, no pressure applied so watertightnes is affected. That can be fixed adding thicker oring.
Bottom line regarding Tiny Nugget, instead of lowering TIR, raise MCPCB with the emitter or in other words, don't machine MCPCB pocket too deep so original position of lens and oring can be retained.
b4610a0156fced67e99a26c23b32b464.jpg
354da2ccffb686aaa54bee8867e09ca6.jpg
651e6537cf9b5b58eccf9eeadc504f07.jpg

Lumenite is also fixed now. [emoji123][emoji106]
Taping a lens few times was enough to go a bit lower causing the beam to clean it self from 2 extra rings. Awesome!
So only friendly lens retainer would be enough, paired with frosted TIR lens.
d59f9d5f2b78f8d187c01ed2a2b0a3c8.jpg
c1221875fe5693eb3cb8006cc3a1bd80.jpg
281b2c3504a3bc5afec86c21ac78989c.jpg

I had to add DC-Fix film on both and now it's perfect!
Next year when i sober up i'll swap emitters.
XPG2 doesn't shine well compared to others and it's not hi cri [emoji4]

I'll send you PM.

Sent from Tapatalk

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fraz cannot send you PM.
After my dramatic post i must say that these little tanks are awesome after some mod!
Love the beam with frosted option and operation is smooth.
I consider these as gen1 and definetly worth buying. After some correction they are perfect twisty, worry free lights[emoji106]

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does a tone know what optic is in the bigger lights? I'd love to buy a frosted optic for mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

TheFraz

Enlightened
Fraz cannot send you PM.
After my dramatic post i must say that these little tanks are awesome after some mod!
Love the beam with frosted option and operation is smooth.
I consider these as gen1 and definetly worth buying. After some correction they are perfect twisty, worry free lights[emoji106]

Sorry about the full mailbox! I'll get on it....I've been traveling all over the place and have barely gotten a chance to log on. I'm glad you like it after the mod! I'm definitely taking note of any and every criticism the light gets and will see what I can do accordingly. Right now, most of my concentration is making sure the QTC holds up and the operation is as smooth as possible. The material is easily replaceable now...but I want to make it last indefinitely.

-Fraz

TheFraz

Enlightened
Does a tone know what optic is in the bigger lights? I'd love to buy a frosted optic for mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That makes two of us!
Frosted would be perfect.

I ordered and now have optics that are more flood-oriented. I will be able to send some beamshot pics when I get back home, but they will definitely have less artifacts. At the cost of slightly less throw.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swaped emitter in my TIny Nugget to 219B sw45k and in my pocket daily.
Hm, now am thinking about another one Osram W1 super thrower...

Did i mention that finish on Nugget and Lumenite is almost like silk?

dsmboost

Newly Enlightened
Hey Paul did you get a chance to ship mine? Clear out your PM inbox if you get a second then we can talk there!

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take the 18650 any emitter will do.
Still use the original black QTC one that I have for years.
THX.

PayPal ready, just let me know.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Swaped emitter in my TIny Nugget to 219B sw45k and in my pocket daily.
Hm, now am thinking about another one Osram W1 super thrower...

Did i mention that finish on Nugget and Lumenite is almost like silk?

Glad you like the finish! Still working on it from time to time, but I really like the way the silky/ceramic look of the current anodization looks/feels.