• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

TheFraz

Enlightened
I love these videos!!

Thanks! We have some ideas for some very interesting other testing vids...

Can't imagine what the neighbors were thinking! :D

Ha! That was going through my head the whole time (dropping the light onto concrete is surprisingly loud). We did some testing in the park today that involved batting practice again and some flashlight-basketball. Got some interesting looks there too. I'm editing the video now along with some footage of the aftermath to the unit.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Can you imagine the 911 call on this? Ya some strange guys out here throwing something around and then picking it up smiling and then does it again 😂😂 think we have a 5150!

Kingnog

Newly Enlightened
So, how in the world do I get my hands on one of these? Just found out about them and all stock on the website is gone...

Also is there a convenient size comparison anywhere? Which one would be the closest to a Sunwayman V11r / JetBeam RRT01 size range?

Finally, I searched the whole thread and not one mention of a POCKET CLIP... is this blasphemy to want one?

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Write a PM to specacuda or to The Fraz, and they will get you on the list for the next batch. My Tiny Nugget 18650 measures 4 1/4 inches in length, with a head diameter of 1 3/8 inches. It's a larger, heavier light than the two you mention, but great as it is. No clip that I know of.

TheFraz

Enlightened
That poor concrete. 

Indeed. That light (and the concrete) took some pretty good scuffs.

Can you imagine the 911 call on this? Ya some strange guys out here throwing something around and then picking it up smiling and then does it again  think we have a 5150!

I've broken them in slowly....the drone is another one of their favorites. Wait until we finish the air-cannon for the torture test....

So, how in the world do I get my hands on one of these? Just found out about them and all stock on the website is gone...

Also is there a convenient size comparison anywhere? Which one would be the closest to a Sunwayman V11r / JetBeam RRT01 size range?

Finally, I searched the whole thread and not one mention of a POCKET CLIP... is this blasphemy to want one?

We're headed in this week to the shop (got held up a bit, but should still be machining by Wednesday). We will have inventory shortly thereafter. The stock goes pretty quick on the website, but we try to keep some stuff for CPF members that are interested. The pocket clip and lanyard are things in the pipeline, but will be a while. We're focusing on really fine-tuning design for the next bit.

Speaking of which...video below of some new testing/design...

TheFraz

Enlightened
Here is a bit of the testing for the new Nugget prototype. It continues after the concrete drop test. More batting practice and a little bit of basketball (which I've never done before with a light).

Also this shows the new internals of this particular design and the aftermath of the torture testing.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sweet and abusive torture test I would say. A stupid question; would this still function after an EMP, I know it's highly unlikely, but nevertheless the question? I mean technically since it doesn't have any kind of circuit boards or anything.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Pretty sweet and abusive torture test I would say. A stupid question; would this still function after an EMP, I know it's highly unlikely, but nevertheless the question? I mean technically since it doesn't have any kind of circuit boards or anything.

Thanks :D. We have some more stuff in mind as well that should be interesting. The goal is to do this kind of stuff until we get a fail point somewhere and then upgrade the design.

As for the EMP, I don't have a way to test it, but I suspect the aluminum body would act as a Faraday cage, protecting the emitter from the pulse. The only exception is if you were unlucky enough to be pointing the light directly at the source of the blast at the time of detonation. Again, this is all speculation. I would love to test it for something like an EMP.

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Can't imagine what the neighbors were thinking! :D

Can you imagine the 911 call on this? Ya some strange guys out here throwing something around and then picking it up smiling and then does it again  think we have a 5150!

Thankfully, the neighbors usually know what we're doing before we do - and we made sure to get back inside before we heard sirens!

Welcome to the party! Stock on the website goes quickly, and other folks here may have one of those lights for a comparison photo. Measurements are listed on the website if that helps, along with a comparison shot of the lights with a Sharpie marker (I figured it was more recognizable than my old Parker 41).

No pocket clip, as we are really limited by the capabilities of the machines we use to make the lights. Currently, we use a Tormach mill and lathe in a shop two hours from home every other week We've recently started using two other Haas mills and a Haas lathe (but that's still quite a challenge for two people to keep going, so it doesn't happen as often as we'd like). We have no live tooling, no dual spindle, sans parts-catcher, no bar feeder, and no fourth axis, so we try to design things in a way where we get the most "bang for the buck". That boils down to the least amount of setups as possible, or setups that aren't complicated. This is why there's no pocket clip, no lanyard hole, and no actual knurling (not ruling it out for the future, however, we are currently just doing the best that we can with what we've got).

One more thing- the graduated milling marks on the engine and/or battery tube is another way for folks to see how to turn on our flashlights. Y'all would be surprised how many people completely unscrew the thing, then look up at us like we are some sort of modern-day magicians when we put it back together and light comes out one end. Just in case y'all needed more motivation to vote for the graduated milling marks :grin2:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If we order a tiny tank from now on will it be your new design? One piece body/head?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
" No pocket clip, as we are really limited by the capabilities of the machines we use to make the lights. Currently, we use a Tormach mill and lathe in a shop two hours from home every other week We've recently started using two other Haas mills and a Haas lathe (but that's still quite a challenge for two people to keep going, so it doesn't happen as often as we'd like). We have no live tooling, no dual spindle, sans parts-catcher, no bar feeder, and no fourth axis, so we try to design things in a way where we get the most "bang for the buck". That boils down to the least amount of setups as possible, or setups that aren't complicated. This is why there's no pocket clip, no lanyard hole, and no actual knurling (not ruling it out for the future, however, we are currently just doing the best that we can with what we've got). "

Your doing just fine! But when you get everything all sorted out how about a run in SS? Nasty stuff to work with but without a doubt would make this thing even more robust " not that it's needed but we're all kinda crazy here sooo"

discoverEDC

Enlightened
Crawled out of the shop around 11:30PM tonight, as this was prototype week! Nothing I say could describe the process, but if you slam your hand in a car door every day for a week it's a close second...

Also, I'm pretty sure I shaved several years off my life this week for various reasons, as well as gained more than a few gray hairs. Balance is good, right?

All jokes aside, I want opinions!! Do y'all like the ascending milling marks on the engines, or do y'all like them all on the same level (like Fraz's photos above on the new prototype, or the current engines)?

Here's a photo for you DiscoverEDC - this is the WALL-E jig (pre-engrave) in action. Here are two engines, straight off the band saw, and two freshly machined. They'll be in y'alls hands after being bead blasted, washed, anodized, and shipped.

eTlw8ad.jpg

WALL-E! Very cool, thanks for the picture.

404_Unobtainium

Newly Enlightened
Graduated marks are definitely a Fraz Labs hallmark, but the even lines do make it look really smart. Honestly, I don't think you guys could go wrong with either style. Keep up the great work and awesome torture test guys, can't wait to own a tiny tank one of these days.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my Lumenite 21700 arrived. I'd like to try out diff LEDs. Where's a good place to find some at? I went to mtnelectronics
But wasn't sure what I needed. I'd like to get a XHP50.2.

carrot

Flashaholic
So my Lumenite 21700 arrived. I'd like to try out diff LEDs. Where's a good place to find some at? I went to mtnelectronics
But wasn't sure what I needed. I'd like to get a XHP50.2.

You can try any 3v LED on a 16mm MCPCB. I'm partial to the 2700K SST20 on a 16mm MCPCB from Intl Outdoor but shipping takes awhile.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine a few days ago. At first when I was told that the "box' was run out, I almost asked to send without the box. :sssh:
But once I saw the box, I'd have kicked myself if I asked not to send the box. :) I did NOT see the clear tape at first and thought it's the puzzle box of some sorts. :confused:
The laser cut burnt marks are awesome. But then I had to take a few photos to let the photos talk.....

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Latest posts