Friend Wants Lumens

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm trying to talk a buddy out of wasting $ in one of those atomic flashlights they try to sell on TV.
He is strictly alkaline (preferably) or NiMH (only if absolutely no other choice.)

He's looking for 500+ OTF ANSI lumens from a flashlight that holds multiple AA or C (alkaline only for C) cells. He's definitely at the stage where only brightness defines which flashlight is "best". For example he likes his showerhead hardware store flashlight better than my TC-R2 because it looks brighter to him.

The key is $20 or under. No exceptions. I don't care if he can get 1000 lumens for 6 hours from a single AAA it STILL HAS to be $20 or under. He's cheap.

Not fussy about tint. Want a beam moderate between flood and throw. A hotspot but 50 yards throw is OK. So we're looking for bright, cheap (to him $20 is a fortune for a flashlight) , simple, and dependable.

Absolutely NO lithium ion or even lithium primary cells. Only cheap, safe, available at local drug store type batteries. I showed him the Mi7 but he wants more lumens than it can deliver on primary AA so that is why I mentioned multiple AA or C cells.

I don't wish to stick him with cheap junk from Asia that works for a week so not interested in "specials" I've never heard of.

Demanding challenge I know. I can't think of a thing but I don't use multiple battery flashlights so I hoped something is out there.

ven

Flashaholic
I would say along the lines of rayovac(indestructible 2xAA)its 300lm and to the eye 300 or 500 is really not much at all. Its under budget, and being cheap, he may like it;)

Not sure of all the range as i am not your side, must be something from that brand to pretty much suit him:)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Home Depot and look and the Defiant #HD15BF01 850 Lumens for $9, I have no idea about quality.

see level

Enlightened
Coast or led lenser headlamp from home depot is sometimes on sale for 17 dollars. It takes 3 AAA batteries and it works. I know you said flashlight, not headlamp but that's my recommendation.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to talk a buddy out of wasting $ ................. He is strictly alkaline (preferably) or NiMH (only if absolutely no other choice.)
I don't wish to stick him with cheap junk .............
Demanding challenge I know. ....

recDNA,
you have taken on a truly "thankless task".

I SALUTE YOU!

recDNA

Flashaholic
recDNA,
you have taken on a truly "thankless task".

I SALUTE YOU!
Thanks. I'm really fighting the temptation to give him a good flashlight and just eat the dif in price however I don't have any high power multi AA flashlights and I'm not going to buy one just to give it away. My old TK40 would have been perfect but I sold that years ago and that is a lot of coin to eat. My only shot might be a group buy on an Archer 2a or D25A2 etc. Those 3 x AA eagletacs would be perfect but again big bucks.

It's funny because the guy was a physics professor so he shouldn't be nervous about using li ion but he is. I'm not going to try to talk him into it. I bet he would buy one of those new less expensive Teslas if they weren't already sold out for years.

You know I could GIVE him one of those $10 Convoys and a battery and a charger but he just doesn't want to go there. Recent videos about vapers' batteries blowing their faces off and hoverboards burning houses down don't help.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has to be under $20, I would say the 300 lumen 2AA from home depot or lowes would be a good choice (particularly running Eneloops which seem to give a little higher output than alkalines).

If he could come up with $33, I would say go with a 600 lumen+ 3C Maglite ML50L.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thorfire TA13.
18 bucks.
Not surefire, but 8 or 9 bucks better quality than the other xxxfire lights. Takes 3 aaa or one 18650. Zoomie.
Caveats... still cheap. Very cool tint.

Edit: 14 bucks. Xml2. Reported 500 lumen.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for suggestions. Not looking great. Maybe I'll tell him i cannot beat his atomic tv super duper flashlight

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for suggestions. Not looking great. Maybe I'll tell him i cannot beat his atomic tv super duper flashlight
No, i know the type. tell him to do his own research and do not offer any suggestions.
you will be blamed if he is not happy.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
He's a good guy. He knows flashlights are my hobby. Figured i could help him out

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Let him get that Atomic light but first say, "If you buy that particular light, you are buying the consequences if it breaks down when you most need it, or if it stops working."

He's asking for something that does not exist. So if he falls for a light being "flashed" on TV, then let him order it because I have the feeling anything you get him he will not like because it does not look like the one being "advertised".

You're a good person and a good friend! But the "reality" the TV-advertised light "shows" is not the reality you and I and everyone else here know and have experienced.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm trying to talk a buddy out of wasting $ in one of those atomic flashlights they try to sell on TV.
He is strictly alkaline (preferably) or NiMH (only if absolutely no other choice.)

He's looking for 500+ OTF ANSI lumens from a flashlight that holds multiple AA or C (alkaline only for C)

I don't know which light you are referring to. The G700 types, use 3 AAA batteries, or a single 18650, but NOT multiple AA batteries. Perhaps you can be more specific.

Check out Home Depot and look and the Defiant #HD15BF01 850 Lumens for $9, I have no idea about quality.

If size isn't a problem, I could second LeanBurn's recommendation of the 3C cell triple they sell.
It has a plastic lens, but the heft of the body makes it feel like a decent light.
It is a bit annoying that one has to cycle through, high, low, and strobe, to turn it off.
But it has a lifetime guarantee for less than $10, and with batteries.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't know which light you are referring to. The G700 types, use 3 AAA batteries, or a single 18650, but NOT multiple AA batteries. Perhaps you can be more specific.

If size isn't a problem, I could second LeanBurn's recommendation of the 3C cell triple they sell.
It has a plastic lens, but the heft of the body makes it feel like a decent light.
It is a bit annoying that one has to cycle through, high, low, and strobe, to turn it off.
But it has a lifetime guarantee for less than $10, and with batteries.
I don't either. Looking for one that meets criteria

recDNA

Flashaholic
my concern is it may be no more legit than tv atomic. nobody has reviewed it. thanks though. i will mention it to him. at least it can easily be returned

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Very true.
He's a good guy. He knows flashlights are my hobby. Figured i could help him out
Letting your friend learn his/her own way is more helpful than doing it for them.

Maybe you can buy that $9 Defiant, try it a few days and 'accidently' leave it at your buddies place.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
To get the lumens he wants from alkalines he will have to get a 3C or possibly 4AA light because alkalines just don't have enough power to put out 500 lumens with less size than that. I would say get him a rayovac 2AA at home depot and leave it at that because it will be a good enough light and he will get used to the 300 lumens with throw and AA batteries (alkalines) will keep him happy that he doesn't have to mess with rechargeable batteries. If he doesn't think that is the bees knees it will still be a useful flashlight to keep around and can by filled with energizer lithiums later something that C cells aren't capable of.