Friend Wants Lumens

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was hoping for a group buy on a 2 to 4 AA name brand flashlight. Like a 2a Archer is close to 500. Figured maybe nitecore had something like that. obviously not. Thanks. I will relate suggestions & try to get him to step up to a little higher price point someday for a quality product. This is a guy with 3 cars including an antique mr2. He can afford it. He just doesn't "see" quality flashlights as different from junk

Poppy

Flashaholic
I googled atomic flashlight as advertised on tv and found one that looks like the G700 zoomie.
It takes three AAA batteries, meaning that it will have a SHORT runtime, and the beam will be weak in a short period of time. If your friend wants that light, he will certainly have to get AAA NiMH batteries, or better yet go with LiIon (which you said he will not do!).

Here is a picture of the three lights that have been discussed in this thread.

CXmNY-CNKubSvDGPJgSIriWrEeFA2MDDlnPvirY22VtLuoSLRlw_DJzTeLpgH-IYsfSzafmPU7qT5Npv44VqndhxPfHPC79wGS_Q1kSvGgkTRt-AREh5CiaZuGrzJGufJNaWGgXpLJNI26aSEqw-0sj9dqHxE0qjMHo-KozUiCwcu7YpOWY5MQisaXWoRUzHzupD38JSaEqCecEIFQWWIEABiLFvHood-VPZJxmDyr0IuwYo64t5nAZ0aGH7lA753VgRusE9cDD8laRc3CQPpB12441Y14XJMXvvVfw-c2a8cCGQkCVeIti7jtSbSNiYZ8lOpDv79bcQc5nLehiY7vnC7qXM80TGqNjB23wdEfZgED98-1szkskaFFfBwgiit2Iu_dYwAjsFKVKTJpafb-swfPlJYjJ75YqwLFPMBDxDckEYn5UaIkrnNi2H2VY0RsdSduPWTwqvRs65C_RF_zUf9qgaPv8EXVw4tOmzkjzjL98ULSu-ZfOruCJwPbq05aRN66a-wfy7MC7hGVhR3RlLHv7cTymTmDZgo7yOuJvuQTJyo-omnMw1ZDCbYVhfR-wfty4kPE977ZmLJU8su5GictZuAeo=w1034-h775-no

Just looking at the size of the batteries one can tell that the C cells have much more capacity.
From left to right
2AA Rayovac indestructable .... G700 3 AAA cells or 1 18650, similar to TV Atomic Beam ... Defiant 3 C 850 lumen triple LED.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll be honest. I wouldn't recommend any of them but the Defiant might impress him.

tops2

Enlightened
I also echo let you friend buy that light from the commercial.
You can get a light for him as well from Home Depot or Costco or somewhere if you want.

This way, he can find out for himself if he's made a mistake or not. If he likes the Atomic light, then personally I'll say that's the right light for him. And if you get him a secondary light that outperforms the Atomic light, then that'll teach him.
But if the light you get for him doesn't satisfy non flasholics, then it'll ruin your credibility... I think we all know a lot of non flasholics prefers different things than us. lol..

If he doesn't get the Atomic light, then he may keep wondering about that and may end up getting it eventually anyways. And he'll always compare the light you gave him to what they show in those commercials.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My guess is he won't buy anything since I can't get him a Surefire HID for under $20 LOL

In the meantime I will watch for group buys and if something comes along that fits the bill I'll grab it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If your friend still wants the atomic light, it probably isn't a bad light for $10. So no big loss.
I'm sure that it is similar to the G700 which is marketed at $75.

You might point him to this thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-An-honest-look-at-the-flashlight-with-jokes

Tell him to read all the way through it, and to watch the video, so he'll know what we really think about it.

Regarding using it with 3* AAA alkalines, I measured the amperage draw with an 18650 at 1.3 amps high and 0.3 amps low.
Comparing that to HKJ's battery tests of the Duracell Power pro alkaline AAA
I estimate that it will run for a rapidly, decreasing output for about 30 minutes on high with alkaline AAA batteries, and that it will stay brighter with NiMH batteries longer than with alkalines, but that at 25-30 minutes they will be dead.

Last edited: