• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS -- Wiz2 equipped Alephs

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright guys, I don't think I'm supposed to do feelers, so this is a pre-sale. I'll be starting with two lights and anticipate having them built by the end of the week. I will be using the new Wiz2 converter in these lights. The Wiz2 is a buck/boost converter and is good for 3v to 6v. That's 1X123 to 2X123 or anything in between. For you li-ion junkies, this is a must. Never have to worry about what Vf your luxeon is or what bias your boost converter is running.

The first light will be an Aleph I on a 2X123 body. It will have either a TWOJ, TXOJ, or TX1J Lux III in it, depending on what I have left when I complete this light. The driver, a Wiz2 of course, will be biased for 1000mA.

The price for this light will be $200 shipped via USPS Priority Mail or Global Priority. If you want insurance with the Priority mail, it's an extra $4.

The second light will be an Aleph II on a 1X123 body. This one will have one of the above mentioned Lux III's in it and a Wiz2 biased for about 500mA. The terms and conditions for shipping are as stated above. The cost for this light will be $200 shipped.

There is one caveat with regard to the Wiz2 lights. Both of the above will come with McE2S two stage switches; however, their performance, as of now, is rather iffy with the low mode on the two stage switches. This is due to the buck/boost topology of the Wiz2 driver. I do have a selection of resistors coming in and I will be looking for a solution to this, but for now, I'm just going to leave it at this. I and others are trying to work it out. Of course, these lights will also work with compatible clickie switches, like the Z57. With the above lights I will include a two stage switch that works the best with the configuration that you are getting, subject to what is stated above. What this means is that low mode may not be optimal or work at all.

If you are planning to run more than 500mA AND use regular lithium 123 cells on a single cell body, this may not be for you. If you are planning to run with li-ions, it's a no brainer.

If you'd like a 2X123 body, rather than the 1X123 body, add $2 to the cost of the light.

If you would like one of these lights, post with an "I'll take it" and specify which of the two you are buying. Then PayPal to appropriate amount to one of the following:

To [email protected] with an account transfer or to

[email protected] with a credit card, please add 3% for credit cards.

BE SURE TO USE THE NOTE SECTION IN PAYPAL TO INCLUDE YOUR CPF HANDLE AND A DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING, IE. ALEPH II, WIZ2 500, 1X123."

For those that are curious, you can refer to this link Runtimes that McGizmo compiled.

As mentioned above, these are new. So, who's gonna be my guinea pigs?

Thanks,

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight,

I don't know what you're scratching your head about. I clearly stated that the Wiz2's operating input voltage is between 3v and 6v. I don't think I ever suggested the 2XRC123 configuration.

The Wiz2 can be run on a single 123, RC123, Pila, or 2X123.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
flashlight,

I don't know what you're scratching your head about. I clearly stated that the Wiz2's operating input voltage is between 3v and 6v. I don't think I ever suggested the 2XRC123 configuration.

The Wiz2 can be run on a single 123, RC123, Pila, or 2X123.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what made me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
quote - For you li-ion junkies, this is a must. Never have to worry about what Vf your luxeon is or what bias your boost converter is running. - unquote

nvm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the dilemma with running a boost converter with a Lux III and a li-ion cell, is that typically, with a boost converter Vin must not exceed Vf of the luxeon. If it does, then you'll fry the converter.

There are, however situations wherein you can run a boost converter, Lux III and a li-ion cell. The NexGen, for example, will tolerate a .6v (I think) excess of Vin over Vf and not fry the board. Safely running a boost converter with a Lux III and a li-ion usually requires some math to ensure that it is safe. If you take into account the voltage sag of the battery under load, and the Vf of a luxeon at a given bias, then there are situations wherein you can run a li-ion cell. Most notably are situations where you are running a Lux III at 700mA or greater and are using a Lux with a Vf of K or higher. Of course, this is not a strict rule, but is a general one.

My comment about the Wiz2 being perfect for those running li-ion cells simply refers to the fact that you don't have to "guess" on whether you can run a li-ion cell in your particular light. Since the Wiz2 is a buck/boost converter, it will do what it needs to in order to ensure that Vin is where it needs to be.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's OK Tony. I'm just used to the 1stGen Wizards that can do 3-9v IIRC but are not as efficient as the Wiz2 I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif