Fumes(?) when opening battery storage case.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
When opening a Pelican case used for primary lithium batteries I smell a tangy whiff of something. :thinking:
I get the same smell sometimes when opening a flashlight that uses the same batteries. Figure since flashlight holds one or two batteries and the case holds many, smell should be stronger when opening the Pelican case.
Both the Pelican cases and the flashlights use rubber gaskets.
The gaskets trap air.
Anybody else notice that tangy whiff of "something metallic" when you open them up?
:thinking:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH YEAH!!! That's flashahol Baby! :thumbsup:

It comes from the lithium batteries, not sure what chemical causes it, but it's normal.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah,, as Toohotruk said, we reffer to it as "flashahol". It comes from the solvents used in lithium and lithium ion battery cells. It is often more noticeable when cells are driven hard and you open up a light. At any rate, it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Dave

Lord Bear

Enlightened
But if I'm actually breathing the stuff..a..hmmm. Flashahol ay?
Edit: On the level of refilling a lighter or filling up your gastank?

Lord Bear

Enlightened
By the way, might these fumes (flashohol phenomenon confirms fumes theory) degrade the o-ring gasket sealants?
Edit: Please tell me I haven't derailed my own thread! :ohgeez:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's likely not all that healthy to constantly breathe it in all the time, but a whiff once in awhile is pretty harmless...something I can't resist myself. And I'm sure it has no effect on o-rings, etc.