Fun with an Altoids tin

BillCurnow

Newly Enlightened
IanJ said:
I went out and got myself one of those cheap mini-Pelican cases, the 1010, and filled it with first-aid stuff.
Mind my asking where you sources the vials and the individual packets of Wet Ones?

dw51

Enlightened
What a great thread.

One thing I haven't seen listed yet is latex gloves. Probably not for the altoid tin kit, but anything larger should have a pair. If you are rendering first aid to anyone but yourself or close family member, you should have some. I'm sure we can find many other uses as well.....

Something else for the kit is dryer lint. This can be very compact and an excellent firestarter.

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
DW...I am so happy to hear you say that! I had the idea that dryer lint might make a good firestarter, but hadn't seen it said anywhere. I've been saving some in a zip lock for a month now, and just hadn't gotten a chance to try it out.

Although it is much bigger than the minimalist Altoids container, another thing to consider is a 1 liter polycarbonate wide mouth drinking bottle. Almost indestructable, easy to get things into and out of, and plenty of space. Wish I could say I thought of it, but I didn't...just can't remember where I read it. I've been putting a couple together for the two cars we have.

Great Thread!

Eric

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good source for packaged single portion medicines, wipes etc is a gas station convience store.

They are expensive compared to you 750 count Motrin at Costco, however they are just the ticket for this type of kit.

Asprin, tylonol, advil, caffine, peptobismol, anti-diarreal, vitamins, wet wipes can all be had this way in my local gas station

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
IanJ said:
* diphenhydramine allergy tablets
kit2.jpg

A better idea would be benadryl. These could be taken normally in case of contact with a typical allergen or chewed in the case of an anaphylactic reaction. For that reason I would suggest double the normal adult dosage which, IIRC is 2 tablets, for a total of 4.

Obviously, if you know you're susceptible to anaphylactic reactions and carry an auto-injector with you at all times then the benadryl wouldn't be quite so important. But if you're out and about or just live somewhere where EMS may take a bit longer to get to you benadryl can make the difference.

Just a little advice from one of the forum's firefighter/emts who also happens to specialize in vertical, cave rescue and search & rescue.

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez:But of course! If I'd taken a bit longer to think about that I might have saved myself the embarrassment!

We tend to refer to drugs by the trade names that are most easily recognizable to the general public so we tend to forget their actual names. :ohgeez:

I assure you sir/ma'am, we haven't dropped a patient.... today! :whistle:

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice kit I may consider using my Otter 1000 case for such a thing but right now it has batteries...too bad SF has my U2 (damn selector ring). I like to have my surge on me at all times a zippo a phone a wallet and a light. Usually (and I am allergic to very few things (asprin is about the worst thing) I find little need for most things like anti hystamines. Plus I don't do much outdoorsie stuff and there really aren't woods around here.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nice kit. But if you took out the Micra, you'd have even more room. If you carry a Micra or Squirt on your keyring, you're likely to always have it on you.

jds009

Enlightened
all you need is some paracord, a sewing kit (can bend the needle to make fishing hook), & a multi tool, all of which can be found on me at all times.
Sewing kit in my wallet, paracord on a bracelet or fob, & my multi. but i do like the little roll of duct tape idea! thanks

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thought I'd post my little kit as I'm getting ready to repack it. Probably a big mistake, chances of me getting all that back in is slim😁. I plan on making one for just light. I can fit 6 AA" easily in one as well as ONE OF DATILED Fantastic 1.5 volt battery drainer. That's well over a month of light.
888775-E7-10-B1-4394-B873-4-DDF932-C4-FD2.jpg

0-DB9-E88-D-603-D-4-F78-8-B68-A5-C6-D4-B6-C1-CC.jpg

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an i love lucy tin, sponge bob, heart shaped altoids tin, republic of tea tins, mini tins, and almost all of them i turned into survival tins. The kids lost interest in their tins so I upgraded those and kept them. I do acquire my wife's hair pins occasionally since handcuff keys break sometimes. They're great in a pinch. I backed up a tactical officer that broke his key off in a pair of cuffs. I pulled the hair pin out of my shirt and showed him the mechanics of using it. It even works with the broken part in there. Next thing I know it's part of my curriculum as a training officer. It beats calling the fire department to cut it of with a mini sawImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1583323764.702613.jpg

You just have to pick the tips off. They were also shown how not to miss it during a search

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So they really are that easy to pick? No wonder you guys have to do a good search before you put them in back😁

Cobra 6 Actual

Newly Enlightened
So far you've listed Altoids tins being used for first aid kits, survival kits, and portable headphone amps. Here are a couple of other uses: melt a candle into one and put the wick in the middle (hey, this here is the Candlepowerforums, right?), a mini fishing tackle box, a way to make and carry char cloth. Other ideas?

And there are several companies selling nylon or kydex pouches to hold that Altoids tin.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Altoids Tin Survival

Cutting edge (Utility knife Blade)

Water purification

Fire - Flashlight - Compass

Cordage... (Wire and Dental floss)

Missing a whistle, and mylar/space
blanket :(

Fire:

Cut down Magnesium bar with flint bar
and hacksaw blade striker

Small Bic lighter

Three sealed plastic straws of
vaselined cotton balls mixed with Mg dust.

Water:
coffee filter (to be used as a prefilter) (SHTF dust mask)
folded aluminum 16-24oz. container (made from aluminum (approximately 7"x9") cut from throw-away aluminum roasting pan)
folded 2 qt mylar bag marked at 16 and 24 oz.
2 spring clips to hold bag over fire
22 ga wire wrapped around lighter
12 iodine tablets in 3 sealed straws

instructions for pasteurize temp and iodine use

candle to melt at 145F and 160F as a pasturization thermometer

gumball size plumber's putty to repair alum container (I unfolded one that I made and found that the corner developed a hole in it)

Additional items

Utility knife blade taped to cover

12 lumin 4 button cell Browning bore-scope flashlight 8 hours runtime

compass

six feet minted dental floss.
six feet 22 guage wire wrapped around lighter
<HR> __________________________________________________ _____________________</hr>

The standard magnesium bar with mesh metal flint glued to the side takes up WAY too much room. I cut off about 80% of it and put some of the shavings into a straw with the vaseline coated cotton balls. I left some of the Magnesium to give the mesh metal support, it would be a bad situation if it snapped on me. That though would give you a lot more room in your's.

ACtC-3ewqPijCVQp2hxCNM_C_ChMTyj1IR7IUXZbkIRWN59pCpuYFAJpQQlVU5dXJUP5OEqU08pmSGir27A_XTelc0fHcHPIYus_qcvA7JDje6JxmRuvVumEbNA3dDZQZowefS7V7GmEuigYDL9N7MReV6Xo=w1403-h789-no

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
xxo,
I like your kit!

Is that a home made knife, two blade saw? Very cool.

I put some of my stuff into straws. I held the ends together with needle nose plyers, and melted them together over a flame. Iodine degrades with air/moisture, and corrodes everything in the tin,

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
xxo,
I like your kit!

Is that a home made knife, two blade saw? Very cool.

I put some of my stuff into straws. I held the ends together with needle nose plyers, and melted them together over a flame. Iodine degrades with air/moisture, and corrodes everything in the tin,

It's a derma safe razor knife that I drilled a hole for jig saw blades, one for wood and one for metal.

I used to use the fat slurpee straws for sealing stuff in, usually mineral oil/cotton balls for fire starting. The slurpee straws are much better for this than thinner straws.

BTW, There is also a P38 can opener that goes in the kit.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I love the deep woods towels. Whenever I see an episode of "naked and afraid" and see them all bitten up, I think... screw the knife! Give me insect repellant!

I never considered a P38. What are the chances I'll be out in the wild, and come across a can of beans?
Two things that are severely lacking in my kit is a whistle, and a mylar emergency blanket.
Actually if I am out on a hike, where I'll be carrying the altoids kit, it'll be in a fanny pack with additional gear, and a bottle of water, or a one liter stainless bottle. FAK and mylar blanket will be included, along with a pump bottle of deet.
hmmm,. I can't find a dump out picture of it.

My EDC includes a cooyoo keychain flashlight and gerber EAB