FW1A & FW1T from Lumintop

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please be specific about "cheap parts"?
I'm on my phone and not motivated enough to pull up refers from BLF right now. I know they replaced the carclo optic with a cheaper one, my second fw3a has an inferior feeling switch to the first one, I recall lexel saying that they replaced the original FET with a cheaper one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have the fw1 so no optic on mine. The ui seems the same but you may know more about it

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the fw1 so no optic on mine. The ui seems the same but you may know more about it

Please click 5 times to find out if it will set Manual Memory on your light.

the suspense is killing me :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
It is not listed in my instructions. I fear getting into some weird mode I can't get out of.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need. My F1WA arrived this morning and I have tested to see if it has manual memory and I'm sad to say that it does not.

My understanding of Anduril is that it always turns on in default position (no memory), if you just click it on from off after changing the cell, or if you use the shortcuts to moonlight or max.

However, if you ramp up or down any amount using the ramping feature, the light DOES memorize your last-used ramp. Thereafter single-clicking the light on from off will go to your last ramped position (memory). This memory is reset to default if power is disconnected.

All my Anduril lights work this way.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
.......However, if you ramp up or down any amount using the ramping feature, the light DOES memorize your last-used ramp. Thereafter single-clicking the light on from off will go to your last ramped position (memory). This memory is reset to default if power is disconnected.

All my Anduril lights work this way.
The original versions of Anduril on the FW#A will memorise your last chosen "ramped brightness level" and switch on to that level when clicked once from off - but - the maker of Anduril has posted elsewhere that later versions of Anduril allow for a user-set permanent memorised brightness level - she calls this "manual memory".

With five clicks while on, it will memorise your current ramped brightness level and the light then will always switch on to that same brightness level whenever you switch the light on using one click no matter what brightness level you last used and no matter what you do to the battery. The Anduril on my Lumintop EDC18 has that later firmware version that allows manual memory to be set, my FW3A and FW1A do not.

The only way to switch mannual memory off is whilst the torch is on - click five times holding the last click until the light does a quick flash.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
In regards to the version of Anduril on FW1A - The Anduril maker wrote it thusly last month on another forum:

'What it doesn't have is "manual memory", which makes the regular ramping mode start at the same brightness every time. Instead, it has only "automatic memory", which uses the last-ramped level. Newer versions allow switching between these two.'

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah good to know.

Nice that Toykeeper added true manual memory to Anduril.

Fortunately, if you have a flashing kit and a soldering iron, you can update the firmware on your FW3 light to whatever version of Anduril you wish.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Newer versions of FW1A or newer versions of Anduril?
The reference in context was in regards to versions of Anduril. That is to say that newer versions of Anduril have manual memory.

Unfortunately there has been nothign said one way or the other regarding whether FWxA will get that newer Anduril version.

My newly received Lumintop EDC18 does have it (newer Anduril with manual memory) and it makes the light noticeably better to use (for my particular usage patterns), so much so that even though I much much much prefer the tighter beam of the FW1A I may end up using the EDC18 more.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I hope the version AND a clicky with more resistance to accidental touch goes into the new titanium models.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Instead of 10 boxes of Christmas lights to make 3500 lumens, you could get one FW1A now available with a XHP50.2 LED

a good 18650 needed for sure

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Not for me. Too hot. Too floody. What I really like about my FW1A is the hotspot is visible and not huge. I'd like it even narrower if there were a way with sacrificing output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My only beef is I can't carry without locking out due to the too the soft press electronic switch.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FW1A from Lumintop

+

the FW1T (titanium) may not happen now

unable to change title

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: FW1A from Lumintop

I bought one of these and I have no idea what I did with it. Duh.