Get em while you can - Surefire 123A primary's on clearance at Lowe's

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Went into my local Lowe's and found 12 packs of Surefire 123A batteries on clearance for $4.47 per pack, after veterans discount and tax that comes to 35.8 cents per battery!!! I bought 3 packs, all with exp date 02-2029.

Clearance price is only for packs remaining in stores. I found these two 12 packs at one store, and the 3rd 12 pack at another Lowe's 10 miles away.

pEEKqZi.jpg

EDIT: Not sure if it's all Lowe's around the US, or just the ones around here, but thought I'd share just in case!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! It just so happens I needed to make a Lowes / Home-Depot run tomorrow (they are side-by side so I usually hit them both while I'm in the area)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might have to check this out tomorrow. I'm surprised, they normally don't do military discount for clearance/sale items.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will go tomorrow, but 2 years back, I paid $17.88 per 12 pack, buying two of them, so that's a great deal if the expiry date isn't poop.

Chris

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
I just opened my 72 count box of SF123A cells. I am sure I bought them in 2016 directly from Surefire, but the date is identical to yours 2/2029. I thought they would say 2026 expiration date not 2029.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just opened my 72 count box of SF123A cells. I am sure I bought them in 2016 directly from Surefire, but the date is identical to yours 2/2029. I thought they would say 2026 expiration date not 2029.

That's odd. Normally it's ten years after date of manufacture. I have some cells (the old cardboard white box) that expired in 2012 which were made in 2002. I'm sure they still have at least 80% of their original power. Surefire used to claim that the cells would hold that after 20 years, I believe it's the case because these cells are over 20 years old. And yea I was able to look online when this was posted and saw that they didn't even have any in stock locally. So, never went to look.

Last edited:

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
That's odd. Normally it's ten years after date of manufacture. I have some cells (the old cardboard white box) that expired in 2012 which were made in 2002. I'm sure they still have at least 80% of their original power. Surefire used to claim that the cells would hold that after 20 years, I believe it's the case because these cells are over 20 years old. And yea I was able to look online when this was posted and saw that they didn't even have any in stock locally. So, never went to look.
Yes, very odd. I remember these cells being purchased in the last quarter of 2016
directly from Surefire. I'm certain the purchase date was either Oct or Nov 2016. (As in 100% sure)

I read a few posts about people getting older cells (by several years) buying them from other well known places online. So I decided to pay more and go right to the source. I checked a cell out of all 6 boxes and all were dated for 2/2029.

They either date them 13 years ahead now or my batch was misprints. In any case like you said they are good for over a decade. I read somewhere they retain 90% charge after 10 years, so unless the discharge rate changes over time your 80% charge in 20 years is spot on

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful with old cells like that though, even if they show 3.2 or 3.1 volts. I've had cells that were a about a year past date that wouldn't deliver full current (i.e. wouldn't run a 1xcr123a light on high).

Could be dangerous if you put them in a multi-cell light, and one cell can still deliver full power but the other can't.

I don't think using them in single-cell lights would be an issue. I'm doing that now with my old Surefire cells. They seem to run fine at lower power settings.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree Stress Test.. But I'll wager you that my 2012 expired cells will probably power my incan E2e's or C3's just about as well as brand new cells. Those batteries from back then were serious quality. Over the years it's been a little hit and miss, but SF still seems to make the best CR123A's. I've always had good luck with Duracells and Energizers as well. SF used to ship lights with Duracells before they started making their own. I don't recall having many CR123A's that were total duds, but I have never been into the cheap cells. I don't put ethanol gas in my vehicles either.