GITD + UV LED long lasting marker

myk

Enlightened
my.php

So I was thinking, take a tube with two walls, fill it with GITD epoxy mix, with some small battery (AAA?) and a few 5mm UV LED's, with a tail clicky (or some other switch mechanism)

Hit the button, LED's come on long enough to charge the glow powder/sand, and then shut off. Optionally some kind of low voltage timer method so it would blink the LEDs at a set interval so the stick never stops glowing for days.. or weeks..

ok idea? stupid? let me know

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
myk said:

So I was thinking, take a tube with two walls, fill it with GITD epoxy mix, with some small battery (AAA?) and a few 5mm UV LED's, with a tail clicky (or some other switch mechanism)

Hit the button, LED's come on long enough to charge the glow powder/sand, and then shut off. [/QUOTE]

See

[url]https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133569[/url]

Works well.

Post 6 specifically

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think his idea is nice...

but i will do this

build something like that in a size of D cell, and run a few blue LED with a C cell plus driver i know i am a little mad...

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:
... build something like that in a size of D cell, and run a few blue LED with a C cell plus driver i know i am a little mad...

So what? Just Do It!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a thread around somewhere about the same concept but used to maintain the luminosity of superluminova watch markers.

daemondust

Newly Enlightened
If I were to do this I would probably use a microcontroller to control the UV LED. Something like TI's MSP430F2013 would be perfect. It can be powered directly from 3v lithium primary cell. It might be overkill, but it has great power management. 0.5 microamps while sleeping, about 220 microamps running at 1 MHz. Running the LED at 20 milliamps, and having it on 1% of the time (3 seconds every 5 minutes) would give you over a month and a half of running time on a single CR2013.

myk

Enlightened
daemon

thanks for the input. Have a little bit of experience with the motorola HC11, but that's it for microcontrollers, but i bet even i can make 1 timer loop fit in the 1k of flash =)

i like their PDIP footprint, it looks like it could do the job

Now - to determine if GITD powder glows better with a fast high intensity flash, or a slow low intensity burn of the LED

Last edited:

daemondust

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the PDIP is great for prototyping. If you were trying to make it small, they have a QFN (4mm square, less than 1mm high) that's a nightmare to hand solder. TI is extremely liberal with their sample policy. Their eZ430 provides a great starting point for the processor. The processor had a great timer module, and can power down nearly all of the components when you aren't using them. There's an ADC, comparator, and UART that may provide useful, too. You should be able to program it with the provided C compiler.

Latest posts