Giveaway Thread (general info)

ravenraven

Newly Enlightened
I am in for the Nitecore TM26
c8611cc0dadcd73d1b1b0d968109e743.jpg

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
Have you ever wondered how strong your password is? Kaspersky has a nice utility to test it by estimating how long it takes various computers to brute force crack it. For example the fastest computer in the world could theoretically brute force the following pass phrases:

1. "Is this a good password to have" - 2 years
2. "Is this a good password to have " - 2 centuries
3. "Is this a good password to hav" - 22 centuries

Not that anyone would need that strong a password. However, they warn you not to test your real password with it but this gives you two good guidelines for a stronger password.

1. Pick a sufficiently long pass phrase that's easy to remember.
2. Drop or add even a single letter, number, or space.

I am in for the Nitecore TM26

Last edited:

naked2

Enlightened
Your post must include "I'll take the Thorfire VG10" to be eligible. Please also include something interesting...a story, pic, video, or link. No judging based on content, but I want you to provide something of value to the thread. Commenting on other content or explaining who you might give a light to is fine (and in fact I encourage you to do so) but you need to provide something unique in your post also.
I did EXACTLY as you asked; why the hard time?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did EXACTLY as you asked; why the hard time?

Not trying to give you a hard time...I'm sorry you viewed it that way.

I suppose my words could have been more clear...if you are bidding for someone who does not have a CPF account (often people suggest that they will give a light to a relative or friend, for example), you are staying within the limits of ONE entry per person. If gunga had decided to enter, though, you would essentially have two entries for one person, giving him superior odds to anyone else. An existing member does not need your help...he can post his own entry.

Please address any further concerns to me via PM...I am happy to discuss it, and you may have a better suggestion on how to run these giveaways (I always appreciate feedback!). But I'd rather keep the administrative stuff to a minimum in the public thread...it makes for boring reading.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thing is a beast, and way out of my price range so id love to win it!

Changing my pics to something more useful And interesting (atleast to me) i present to you my use for rubber gear ties. Great for when you need an extra pair of hands or just lazy.

Do you have a link to what specific rubber tie that is? I've been looking for something like that for flashlights.

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
Have you ever wondered how strong your password is? Kaspersky has a nice utility to test it by estimating how long it takes various computers to brute force crack it. For example the fastest computer in the world could theoretically brute force the following pass phrases:

1. "Is this a good password to have" - 2 years
2. "Is this a good password to have " - 2 centuries
3. "Is this a good password to hav" - 22 centuries

I give up. What's the difference between 1 and 2?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from naked2 again (via PM, as I requested). Basically this whole thing was a miscommunication...he was not in any way trying to give gunga an unfair advantage. gunga has provided me with two different shipping addresses at different times...one of them inside the USA...so I assumed that if gunga wanted to enter, he could. naked2 knew gunga was in Canada, so thinking he was otherwise excluded from the VG10 giveaway, he was entering on his behalf. We started from different assumptions, and as often happens in that kind of situation, we ended up with two different conclusions.

In any case, there is no issue at this point. We are now (hopefully) on the same page, and I welcome his future participation (like anyone else). Sorry for the tangent, but neither naked2 nor I want there to be any bad blood simply because of a misunderstanding.

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
I like this one, and for what it is worth, they claim it is safe to check your real passwords: https://www.my1login.com/resources/password-strength-test/

On a more humorous note: https://xkcd.com/936/

And, because nothing is ever simple: https://diogomonica.com/posts/password-security-why-the-horse-battery-staple-is-not-correct/

Love XKCD. Anything to add a little humor to security helps the medicine go down a little easier.

I've never heard of my1login before you posted. They may be a very fine company but being unfamiliar with them I don't know how much I personally would trust them. I like the bit where they say you can trust them because they don't send your password outside the browser but how many people have the tools and skills to verify this?

Personally, I use lastpass and let it generate all site specific passwords and then it auto fills when I go to a site. I only have to remember one pass phrase for lastpass.

After I wrote the above I read the article by Mr. Monica and we mostly agree. My goal is to nudge people in the right direction. Good security is extremely difficult and anything that can be done to encourage people to use better security is a plus. I know where he is coming from though but any security scheme must be unintrusive or most people will not use it. So while XKCD is not the optimal solution it is better than what we have today.