Gladius, only thing I don't like...

JohnF

Enlightened
Gladius, only thing I don\'t like...

is the lockout. Can't do it one-handed reliably, if I try with one hand, sometimes push a little to far and wind up locking the light on. Maybe I just need to work on the technique.

That being said, I'm not sure how I'd do it differently. What would be the downside to doing away with the half-press required to lock it out?

Wait, one other thing I'm not too fond of - too big for pockets. Oh, I know, it is 'tactical' and meant for belt or weapon mounting, and the reflector puts out a terrific beam, but it makes my SF L2 seem small in comparison (nearly identical length, though.) The L2, smaller diameter and useful pocket clip, make it pocket friendly.

Well, I had to find something wrong with the light, because otherwise I'd have to admit it is near perfect.

I'm not sure how 'disorienting' the strobe is, but I sure like having it available for instantly getting someones attention.

I'm undecided on the ceramic coating, mine is not showing any wear yet, but I'm just not sure what the advantage is. Wait, it does feel just lovely, even velvety in the hand - good grip with no sharpness. Never mind about the coating.

John F
LV NV

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Gladius, only thing I don\'t like...

Why would you want to lock-out the light one-handedly? When you're ready to put the light away, you can use both hands, right? (Except if you're one-handed, that is.)

Or the other way around: When I can only use one hand, I see no reason to lock the light out. I can wait with this until I can use both hands.

moeman

Enlightened

i have no problem putting the light in L/O with one hand.
hold it in your hand pointed down, use your index finger and thumb to twist the T/C and you push lightly dowm with thumb...
anyway works for me, did that make any sense?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened

I don't have a problem locking out the light with one hand either. It would be easier if the plastic part of the tailcap was metal with knurling though...

And I suspect if the Gladius was as small as the L2, it would be a flood type light.

This light is near perfect for it's intended use. The problem is, if you ask 100 people their version of a perfect light, you'll get 100 different responses....

JohnF

Enlightened

I want to lock out with one hand, as I often have a beer in the other. I practiced last night with the tips you gave. I can now do it quite easily.

'How's the throw on the Gladius?'

Terrific. There have been beam shots posted.

John F
LV NV

HistoryChannel

Enlightened

The throw is awesome. Kills all other LED lights I own and most incandescents too!

*Bryan*

Enlightened

Yeah I agree. It lit my back yard up!!! 100ft away and it was bright.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
I have to admit, i have managed to turn my gladius on whilst going to lock it out, fortunately it was set to the factory setting of coming on at full brightness, so i saw it and saved myself the bill for two more 123as.
However, considering the loose nature of the on/off switch, the lock out feature is necescary and adds to the (already not insignificant) overall appeal of the light.
Btw, i agree completely with the comments about the ceramic finnish, many times more tactile than knurled aluminuim.