Gladius XM-L mod observations.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
Followed the mod details posted by Samuel in http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=190761 and instead of the Q5 I tried the XR-E R2, then the XP-G R5 and now the XM-L T6.

The R2 mod using an R2 smooth reflector from DX was the farthest throwing of the three emitters above and looks 2 times brighter and throws twice as far when compared side by side with a a buddy's stock Gladius. The R2 mod was also 2 times brighter at the lowest brightness setting compared with a stock Gladius.

The R5 mod using an R5 orange peel reflector from DX had less throw than another friend's R2 modded Gladius but much more spill and looked 3 times brighter compared side by side with a stock Gladius. The R5 mod was also 2 times brighter at the lowest brightness setting compared with a stock Gladius.

The XM-L mod using the smooth R2 reflector in the R2 mod above had almost the same throw as the R5 but with a more than double the R5's hotspot diameter. It also has more spill than the R5 that one notices it even if the R5 is not around for comparison. The XM-L mod is dimmer at the lowest brightness setting than my R5 mod, probably the same as stock if I remember the low setting of the stock Gladius correctly at 1 meter from the wall.

If you want the longest throw, use the R2. If you need a hotspot about the same size as the stock Luxeon III with lots of same side spill, use the R5.

If you want the brightest mod with a hotspot about 3 times larger than the R5 and maximum side spill for indoor use, the XM-L is for you.

Sorry, no cam available at the time we had both the stock Gladius and the R2 modded Gladius for comparison. The R2 modded Gladius needs new electronics after getting wet and corroded when the owner forgot to return the thinner/first bezel o-ring. Not sure if I can still meet with the stock owner to take pics.