Automotive Glass versus plastic headlight lenses

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
My Cibies never did, even after 20 years? My Hellas never did? And I went up close to the Corvettes and they had no protective covering, I am sorry to say, being a lifelong Chevy fan!

Most modern headlights are vented and not sealed (as Virgil pointed out,) so some condensation is normal and will evaporate. What you were told is true regarding standing water is the standard across all brands (at least the ones I've worked for.)

scootertrs

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
By the way, I just remembered, my Indian motocycle (motocycle is correct Indian speak... only recently did they switch to motorcycle) had a glass headlamp with a replaceable bulb. I never had, nor have a problem with her in that respect. True she was built in 1947, but still sports the same headlight (not too bright-have to light a match to see if its on -:)) but may also be due to the 6V system.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excessive fogging can be fixed, unless your headlight is damaged, and needs to be replaced, the fix is cheap, there are only 2 other reasons;
1 clogged vent, thus no airflow,
2 damaged seal.

to unclog the vent often the light does not even need to be removed, if the seal/adhesive between the housing and the lens is cracked we reseal it, the light needs to be removed. last few years we use uv cure glue, dries in seconds and rock hard.
The ideal solution would be replacing it, but no one will pay 300-500 to replace lights that work and not shattered.

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
why glass lenses are better in the terms that matter (crashes/deaths).

"Matter" to whom? Those terms might matter to the general public, and to the government in terms of safety, but the only thing that matters to the manufacturers who make plastic headlights instead of glass is profit.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It would be nice to see a standardized smaller sealed beam headlight assembly that fits behind a clear plastic lense that can be very cheaply replaced every few years but I don't think that would be profitable. I would also like to see wiper blades that last 5-7 years or longer instead of 1 year.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lens in front of the lamp could/would cause additional glare, or alter the beam pattern. This is one of the reasons that diy-ing a projector retrofit is so thoroughly frowmed upon. A return to a sealed beam type system would have the potential to be good, but would also present an opportunity for either SAE or the government to kneecap the change in some glaringly stupid and shortsighted way, as is tradition.

As it stands, there at least nominally exists the ability to upgrade or supplement the performance of your vehicles existing lamps (excluding LED systems).