Glo Flex, Extreme Glow, reflective tape & similar

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Glo Flex vs Extreme Glow

I can't see why you'd want a retro-reflector on your flashlight. It's bright enough already. A liberal application of glow paint on the bezel would be more satisfying.

Besides JohnN, does anyone else use glow-reflectors? Find them useful?

I looked up illuminite. Stuff looks cool and I'd wear it. Hopefully it starts showing up at ROSS. I imagine that in the store it is not as visibly reflective as piping or an iron-on decal that reflects. But at night it would be more than enough for a driver to see you.

Don't want to hijack this thread away from glow-flex, but I know that fabric stores have fabric with a vinyl coating that is retro-reflective. You should also be able to buy fabric with glow coating. It's probably the least reflective and not OSHA approved for work, but it's available, cheap-ish, and easy to sew. There are various colors too. It's probably something you would use for a costume. You should also be able to buy fabric with glow coating.

Does anyone buy reflective tape at the fabric store? It's cheap and reflects well and is easy to sew on.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, it isn't a hijack at all. I wanted to include misc reflective tape and stuff.

Regarding the tape on the flashlight, I put this on my emergency lights so you can find them more easily in the dark.

-john

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone watched road painting crews? They lay down their stencils and paint lines and crosswalks, then pour reflective glass glow beads onto the wet paint to coat it. They have 20lb sacks of the stuff! On the back of the truck!

One of my favorite reflective designs is clear medium with reflective beads silk-screened onto a black shirt. An almost invisible image that appears only as reflection.

Referring back to my original post, I had wanted the most reflective material for my clothes I could get that was sewable. I was able to get the clear vinyl sheets. I wanted these because they are smooth and don't introduce artifacts into the reflection. A complete design can be cut out and applied (with a lot of work). I even did the sewing myself.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know that retroreflective guywires are available for power lines. It's something SRV's (and Bill Graham's) pilot would have wanted to see. RIP.

I was thinking about reflectors on flashlights so I did a search for reflective cord. kelty triptease guyline is available as well as 3m cord. I might just go to REI and check them all out. Maybe a glo/reflect cord is available as well.

check out the glow glove

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah, I have some of the Kelty cord and first posted about it in this old thread about high tech cords. The other cool thing about this cord is that it has a Spectra core and is very strong for it's size (~188lbs).

I posted some pictures here. The Kelty line is the orange one. White one is glow in the dark cord I got from I don't recall (unimpressive). The black is the old CMG Infinity lanyard which has GID bits (VERY weak GID I might add, but a nice lanyard), and the greyish cord is Spectra cord as found on berkeleypoint.com (very strong stuff).

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
Has anyone watched road painting crews? They lay down their stencils and paint lines and crosswalks, then pour reflective glass glow beads onto the wet paint to coat it. They have 20lb sacks of the stuff! On the back of the truck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I didn't know that was how they did it! I'd love to check out that stuff. I wonder how reflective it is vs. other materials.

-john

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The road crews use the highest intensity glass beads. There is no overcoat, so the most light is reflected.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a link to something like that?

Thanks,

-john

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's probably 3m, and they probably buy the raw product. I don't know much more about it.

A search on the 3m website reveals a multitude of cool reflective products.