Glo-Toob AAA now out

JulianP

I had the white, red and amber glo-toobs for the past week. The amber is great in the car, in case of a breakdown. I also used it discreetly at night to signal the kids I am ready to pick them up. The red I use at night, on low, to walk around the house like an insomniac (Which is what I am). I have also tried the red one on my dog's collar at night. Even on low, I could spot him more than 100 yards away. All the other insomniac dog walkers thought it was a great idea. It is waterproof, so I don't have to worry about my dog swimming in puddles. I am about to buy a green and a red one for the boat, as they will make great emergency starboard and port lights.

I am not sure where the white one fits in. Maybe as a stern light on the boat. I already have lots of flashlights with diffusers which can do the same job.

kq2h

JulianP.....You mentioned in your post that you got the amber Glo Toob. I assume you got the amber AAA. If so, is yours actually orange rather than amber??

JulianP

JulianP.....You mentioned in your post that you got the amber Glo Toob. I assume you got the amber AAA. If so, is yours actually orange rather than amber??

I have the AAA. I guess it's more orange than
yellow or amber. It is nevertheless very close to the color used by emergency vehicles, whatever that is. The strobe is faster. What I like is that it's waterproof and very sturdy, which is important for emergencies like motor vehicle accidents on dark and stormy nights

kelmo

Dankeschön!

I got this from Glo-toob regarding the use of a lithium battery;

"Hi Kelly,

The manufacturer recommends an alkaline AAA battery over the higher voltage lithium AAA.

There is a concern that because lithium batteries are much more powerful, they may damage the circuitry of the Glo-Toob.

Thanks!
The Glo-Toob Team"

I will use one of my GTs and run a lithium battery to see what happens. I just don't see how a slight voltage increase can fry the circuit board but then again I know next to nothing about electrical engineering.

kelmo

kelmo

After using one for about a week I come to the conclusion these are great mini-lanterns! I just ordered 4 more (2 whites, 1 red, and 1 green). I had to order my Girls one. We were coming back from the park after dark and they were fighting over who got to carry the GT. If you let it hang from it's wrist lanyard at waist height it makes for a good walking light.

The AAA lithium battery does not seem to harm it. Check out this post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?364709-Eveready-Ultimate-Lithium-AAA-Question

kelmo

Pellidon

I just received my AAA white Glo-Toob last week. Very nice. I have an older Lithium white that has started to yellow and a very ancient FX. They range in brightness from old to new in ascending order. Does anyone have a newer Lithium Toob with newer more efficient LED's to compare the AAA against? I am now thinking of getting a newer Lithium unit now.

I do a bit of night photography with an IR setup and the green units sound great compared to the Lazerbrite I use with the different battery than I usually have in my gear bag. So I just ordered a green AAA.

kq2h

Pellidon, I have original, lithium and AAA Glo Toobs in all colors with the exception of infra-red. By new lithium Glo Toobs I assume that you are asking about the ones supplied with AmQuip batteries. If that's the case, the only color lithiums that I have in both "new" and "old" versions are the amber ones. The older amber lithiums use true yellow LED's, most likely 585 nM ones, while the newer AmQuip ones use amber LED's, most likely 600 nM........ and are somewhat brighter. It seems like the older lithiums went through better quality control. All the LED's are uniform. One of my newer amber ones has a slightly dimmer LED than the rest. It also has a little shorter battery life. Perhaps the new units drive the LED's with more current. Original Red Glo Toobs had 6 LED's, Original amber had 5 yellow LED's, the other colors only 3. Lithiums only have 3 LED's. The AAA's use surface mounted LED's. Moreover, older Originals didn't tint the epoxy, the newer ones do. With so many variables, it is difficult to compare the various versions accurately. Also, take into account what happens after the Glo Toob is on for a while. The tiny 12V battery that the originals use depletes very quickly. The AAA and lithium batteries seem to maintain brightness longer.

lockdoc

Cool, I plan on getting one to use as a fishing kayak marker light with eneloops. I have the lithium one and the batteries can get expensive.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

How are people finding the ruggedness and battery life on these things?

What colours do you guys find most useful? I'm tempted to get one for marking my tent when camping, my logic is that if I get a white one then it can be used as a tent-light but if I got a red one, it could be a marker AND be useful clipped to a bag for cycling (but be a less good tent light)....

I'm not buying both :nana:.

TIA

JulianP

(but be a less good tent light)....
TIA

Red is not a bad tent light. On low, you won't lose your night vision and you won't wake up everybody else. When the bear chases you, and you drop the light, you will still be able to see your way into the woods and climb up a tree.
evilgrin07.gif

PS I started with the same problem and now I have all the colors. Orange for the car, red for the dog's collar, green and red for the boat, blue and red to turn my dog into a police dog etc. The only one I don't use is the white one. I have many other flashlights for that...

defloyd77

I am about to get myself a GT AAA, but I can't decide which ONE (lol) I want to get. I don't really have any specific uses in mind other than just to have one and maybe putting it on my dog, but I'm stuck between green, "amber" and white.

Green I think will stick out the most as something that's "not supposed to be there" when on my dog, it's most likely the most visible as well and IMO, most importantly, has the highest cool factor which is a bit important if I can't find any real world uses for it. I also do not own any green lights.

Amber would be an obvious choice for me if it were actually amber, but I digress. The 2 advantages of this color would be that it could be legally here in Wisconsin used as a rear bike light and says "caution" more than white or green, but I have a Peak Eiger with a red LED paired with a Vick's nasal inhalor cap that can do these things as well, just not as compact or multi mode.

White is obviously the best "to see" option of the 3 and to be honest, I have always had a fascination with those old Coleman keychain lanterns and the white appeals to that part of me. I might actually try making some sort of lantern shade/reflector if I do get white. Functionally speaking though, this wouldn't be able to do anything a light with a diffuser can't do, but being self contained and compact is a plus.

What do you guys think?

Flying Turtle

I may have to go for an amber one. It should make a nice warm "small area" light. Only thing bothering me is the sudden death. Much prefer one that gradually fades.

Geoff

gravelmonkey

How are people finding the ruggedness and battery life on these things?

What colours do you guys find most useful? I'm tempted to get one for marking my tent when camping, my logic is that if I get a white one then it can be used as a tent-light but if I got a red one, it could be a marker AND be useful clipped to a bag for cycling (but be a less good tent light)....

I'm not buying both :nana:.

TIA

I went with a white one in the end, on it's way to me at the moment. If I like it enough, I suppose there is the risk of 'needing' more colours! :devil:

TMedina

Heh - that's almost a given. I use the red on my backpack for walking at night.

I'm looking at either the blue or amber as a personal marker; I suspect I'll end up with the white as a general multi-purpose.

kelmo

I have 3 whites, a red, and a green. All are great. My 5 and 6 year old daughters have yet to kill one. They are very robust IMHO.