Gmail now offering 2GB of storage

code09

Enlightened
yeah...weird, im at 2051 now! I thought they were gonna stop at the 2000 mark! im not complaining tho!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
reading the Gmail features site and this is what they said about the 2GB storage, looks like we'll be getting more and more room.
now lets see if they'll beable to beat hriders.com with there Tb of storage

[ QUOTE ]
Just Launched!
G is for growth
Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn't mean you should have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we're giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able. We know that email will only become more important in people's lives, and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you can expect more.

We're not in the plains anymore
Fonts, bullets and highlighting, oh my! Gmail now offers rich text formatting. And over 60 colors of the rainbow. Discover a land of more than just black and white

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug

auriga

Newly Enlightened
The counter has slowed down conciderably now, i think that they will give out more space than i'm ever going to need.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
2052 now, sure has slowed down a bit. I was reading the papers the other day and there was an article about yahoo upgrading to 1GB, the first thing that popped in my mind was "i wonder what gmail will do?" And now this! I love gmail!!

Bradlee

Enlightened
Sure enough, 2052mb. They never cease to amaze me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of it or used a program called gmail drive shell extension ( Gmail Drive Shell ). In effect, it turns a gmail account into a secondary drive which shows up in "my computer". I just started using it, and if you don't need to backup files larger that 10mb (the limit, per file) and don't mind waiting a minute for each file to transfer to the account, it seems quite useful. Now that the inbox size has been upped to 2GB, I imagine it would be even more useful for archiving.

-Brad

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Gmail's got my vote too. Run by scores of Ph.D.'s with a good sense of humor. I like their approach to business and service to consumers. I think they'll be buying out Bill Gates before long. MS' business model just isn't cutting it any longer.

BTW, if you think about it, I believe that Google is not really giving you 2+ GB of space; what they're giving you is the *promise* of 2+ GB of space.

If I've only got 20 MB of mail, all they need to store that is amazingly, only 20 MB of storage. What I think they do is simply add additional linked blocks of storage as required, say in 5 MB chunks. Using this approach, it isn't really hard to *promise* a lot of space. I'll bet that 90% of their users are using less than 50 MB of space.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No One is talking about Virus Protection .... Do you guys see virus scanner in your GMAIL ?... I dont see any... It allows me to download a Infected File FREELY !

RTF Editor... etc were always available in Hotmail & Yahoo... Nothing New about it...

True ... Size Does Matter.. but what if Its Infected with Virus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ...

PhotonBoy : Well said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not at all worried about virus's...but I run Linux too.
I am sure that soon enough they will have something. Most people, and its not smart to not, have their own Virus program. It shouldnt be Googles 'problem' to check it for you.

But again, I suspect they are working on it.

As for their RTF Editor, indeed, others have it, but GMails overall setup of their site it getting perfect. Its quick loading, simple, yet lots of options.
The Conversation idea is neat, as is everything else.

Cameron

code09

Enlightened
I dont think its required for a virus scanner to be built INTO the email system. Many such as hotmail dont even update their virus definitions until 2 weeks later AFTER the virus has been released anyways. By that time, the virus is already spreading. The best way is to have a virus system on your system which automatically updates every 3 days or so.

Or, like bobisculous said, run linux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif