Golden Gadgets

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
Phaserburn

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who makes those 20 and 32 led retrofit maglite adapters? Anyone have any experience with them? Are they reviewed somewhere?

J

JJHitt

Enlightened
Lots of Nuwai lights there... and the 6 led UV light is priced so low I've doubts about it being any good. But it's cheap enough I may gamble on it.

Kiessling

Kiessling

Moderator,
ahem ... the site I am viewing is just some test-site for an e-shop software I think. they say that no products will be shipped and no money charged and there are no descriptions for the items.
is something wrong with me?
and what is that 4xLS light?
bernhard

J

JJHitt

Enlightened
I was able to write an order and then bailed out when I found out the shipping was going to be 10.00 for a 12.99 item.

Most of the products I looked at had descriptions (when I looked at it earlier this morning).

I did notice the "terms and conditions" wording is loaded with E-Bay terminology (many references to "bids").

An interesting selection of goods, but I'm holding off until they find a cheaper means of shipping. For ten bucks I expect it to be hand delivered by a stripper.

Free

Free

Enlightened
Does anyone know who makes the 110v 10 LED Lightbulb? This is the first time I have seen this one and would be interested in trying it as a nightlight.

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
I got the 32 LED "retrofit" thru E-bay, $45 including "free" shipping.
The LED 110V bulbs ($12ea ) were $4 shipping for the first one, and $2 each for additional ones, i.e. four should cost $10 total for shipping.

Their E-bay "presence" is found here:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=goldenpsx&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Some of the cheaper LED flashlights look like they would have all the "quality" of the infamous LED Club / Loo Loo Enterprises DED lights. DED as in Dead and as in Dark Emitting Diodes.

I found the 32 LED adapter on e-bay from Hong Kong,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2343133978&category=20760

and they show it in more detail, it appears to have 22 ohm resistors in series with the LEDs, so it isn't direct driven off 3 D cells, they claim it can also run on 4D lights as well, though that seems like it would be pushing the envelope just a bit hard. Lemansind states that these units use Nichia LEDs

/ed B in NH

Phaserburn

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hemingray, how does the 32 led adapter perform? Any comparisons to make, etc? The info on the site doesn't say anything about runtime, brightness, etc. or how much mah each led is being driven at...??? Is the 20 the same?

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just bought one of their LED "crystal underlight" platforms, and will see how it does underlighting an insulator with snow or other garbage in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess the hard part now will be finding some place to put it, where I can reach a wall outlet, and that outlet isn't already occupied by something important, like an LED flame lamp, a TV, a fan, an LED nightlight, a cell phone recharger, or other appliances that I use all the time that need 120VAC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
I haven't yet recieved the 32 LED adapter, I did get a notification that it was shipped out a couple days ago, so I should see it around Friday or Saturday. Will post my "review"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif or /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif soon afterwards. Also have some of teh 10 LED 120VAc "bulbs" on the way.

/ed B in NH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

M

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone tried an AC LED light for outside in a motion sensor? Mine is only about 7-8 feet high, throw would need to be about 20-25 feet tops. It's mostly to get us from where we park our cars to the house without stumbling in the dark.

mike

ps Sorry if this is the wrong place to start this.

Darell

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, I couldn't help myself. Definitely worth the risk at these prices. I ordered up a few of the AC bulb replacements. I'll bet they make for great nightlights in a regular lamp.

steve_vance

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hemingray said:
Some of the cheaper LED flashlights look like they would have all the "quality" of the infamous LED Club / Loo Loo Enterprises DED lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least several of their cheapie or "sale" lights are Nuwai models that haven't sold well for them. They are good quality, wll made lights.
On another note, I have ordered from these people before. They are also GoldenPSX on EBay. They shipped promptly and items received were as promised.
I am currently using their 20-LED Mag adapter with great results. It's very bright; they are [obviously] overdriving the LEDs but [seemingly] no more than the Streamlight ProPoly series. I'd be interested to see one of the pro testers (Brock, Quickbeam or Craig) measure this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have one of those 16-LED Mag Lite adapters from GoldenPSX *somewhere* around here... I bought it in January or February and don't know exactly where it is anymore. :toliet:

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
The 32 LED flashlight "retrofit" and the 120 VAC blubs arrived Thursday, they definitely do ship fast!

The 32 LED is very bright, very close to the brightness and beam of a 1W luxeon star/o. LEDs do not look like Nichias, more like the same ones from Chi Wing on e-bay. These have a definite blue tint, none of the Luxeon dogpee green. Each LED has a 22 ohm resistor in series.

The 120VAC 10 LED bulbs are OK for night lights or marker lights, they do have a pronounced AC "flicker" that some may find disturbing. They tend to run somewhat warm for a 10 LED light, my home brew 36 LED 120VAC "bulbs" run cooler, have a lot more brightness, and do not flicker (I use a 100 uF 50 VDC cap to filter the full wave rectified DC.

The 10 LED bulbs are solidly made, and appear to be at least weather-resistant, so they could serve outdoors if they are not exposed directly to the weather.

Both items are made in China, of reasonable looking quality.

/ed B in NH (and not screwin' off at work, either).

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
i also just sent off for one of the LED "underlights" and might consider some of the 12VDC 10 LED "bulbs", which are available in white or yellow (bug lights?) These would not have the flicker and would probably run cooler that the 120 VAC ones (which are only slightly warm, but might not like really hot summer heat as in Nevada or Arizona, etc where it can get to 110 degrees or more. I'm not sure how they drop the 120 VAC and limit the current, the best way is to use a\capacitor in series, about 1 uF @ 250 VAC rating would be
about right, as it would have an approximately 2600 ohm reactance at 60 Hz. Xc = 1,000,000 / (2*PI* C uF) orsimplified,
Xc = 1,000,000 / (377*C in uF).

/ed B in NH

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
Got the "underlight" Tuesday, and it has problems, including rather poor quality wiring inside. I repaird two frayed and "pinched" wires, it ran better for a few minutes, then the light show modes morphed into an always on mode. Turned it off, let it cool down/rest fot a few minutes, same results. My SWAG is that the supplied 9VAC wall wart is too high an operating voltage, I'll try it on a variac and then the "fire" down and see what happens.

It has a strange combination of LED colors, one blue, two each cyan. red and orange. Makes for some strange color combinations...

/ed B in NH

L

Lichtgestalt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:

ahem ... the site I am viewing is just some test-site for an e-shop software I think. they say that no products will be shipped and no money charged and there are no descriptions for the items.
is something wrong with me?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there's nothing wrong with you.
As i found out, the page sends different content for different languages.
You should be able to change your prefered language in the browser....somewhere.

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My Paypal echeck to them just cleared yesterday, so I'll probably get my LED crystal underlighting set within a week. And if it does the same thing as Ed's, you'll see it here first!!! (and then I'll write a s****y review of it for my website, and give it one of those "0 Stars - **** On It!" ratings). If I remember, only the original TurboSpyder and the Flushlight (the dim Loo Loo Enterprises white LED flashlight who's lanyard turns into a tampon string rather readily) have received that rating to date. The Dostone 5-LED headlamp might receive it too, but this crystal underlight thing might get there first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Edit) I just got an email (5:12pm today) that my order just sent. So maybe I'll get it Saturday or Monday.

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
WEll, so far, I'll give the 32 LED maglite adapter and the 120 VAC "bulbs" a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif but the LED stand may be deserving of different uplifted finger. I haven't yet had a chance to give it the variac voltage reduction test, if that works I'll modify it by inserting a 7805 or 7808 regulator to keep the voltage down to a safer and saner level. There is an empty and not connected 3AA cell holder, so I would SWAG that it can run off 4.5 to 5VDC and not the up to 12VDC peak that the 9VAC (actual measurement was 8.96 VAC) wallwart delivers after 4 diode full wave bridge rectification.

The innards have one mystery IC (one of those black blob things on its own small daughterboard) a few diodes, and resistors, 4 transistors and 2 electrolytic caps hanging off the side of the board. And a lot of very thing cheap red-covered wire inside. Construction quality is fair to poor, internally, but the housing and top "turntable" are decent quality.

/ed B in NH