Golden Gadgets

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
Don't ya just love surplus sometimes Craig? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Surplus is GREAT, especially when they have the right transformer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The lamp has been running since I posted last night (at least 12 hours), and shows no signs of going poo poo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But it still has a "0 Stars - Whip Out Your {vulgar term for *****} And Go Pee Pee On It!" rating because it ships with the wrong transformer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif But now I can finally *use* it anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, my Golden Gadgets lamp pooped out. Here's the series of updates I posted to my site today:

UPDATE: 10-30-03
The lamp has been running for about 42 hours now. When I went to take a {vulgar term for feces} a short time ago, I once again noticed all the LEDs steady on, and they were still the same way when I finished up. So I went to add to this page and then screw with the lamp, and saw the LEDs were once again flashing in the same pattern I'd set a couple of nights ago. So the lamp still {vulgar term for multiple feces} itself once in awhile, but seems to come right back for more, all by itself.

(Edit, around 12:48pm the same day)
I've seen the lamp become "stuck" with all LEDs on steady at least four more times this morning. One of those times, I grabbed the rotating mirror plate on top enough to bog down the motor (and hopefully cause the input voltage to sag a bit), and it quickly blinked off and restarted. The other times, that trick did not work. Unplugging the AC adapter for a second or two did though. The lamp restarted in the same mode I had set it to, so there was enough voltage remaining across whatever controller it uses to preserve that. But because the lamp still poops itself, I won't change the rating I gave it farther down this page. And I don't know if I'll set it up after Halloween or not anymore. But there's still hope, so don't go away just yet. ;-)

(Edit, around 5:39pm the same day)
The lamp has been "stuck" for a couple of hours now. So it seems that even with a 7 volt AC adapter and having the turntable on (to help drag the voltage down a bit), the lamp still {vulgar term for multiple feces} itself. But as I understand, 6 volts isn't enough (the motor runs but the LEDs do not turn on), so I guess this is it. Unplugging the AC adaptor for several seconds does not reset it, the lamp emits a "hot" odour, and there's a spot on the bottom that feels very warm. I guess this is just about it for the poor little thing. :-(
It's too cute to throw away, and I blew $20 on it. So that would be like seeing a $20 bill whirling down the can. :-(

sunspot

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig. Sorry to hear about your POS. I found a similar item on Ebay that you might like to see.
LED turntable
I might get one for myself.

H

Hemingray

Enlightened
This looks to be an upgraded model of the GG POS. Maybe , this one actually works.... Thie one uses red, blue, green and yellow, instead of weird cyan, blue, orange and bile green.

Somewhat OT, I just got some of the LED Crhistmas lights fro Brookstone, strings of 70, one all white, one multicolored.
These work fairly well for their intended purpose, they do have a pronounced AC flicker, but in this case, it is not a problem. A whole string of these consumes less power than a single old fashioned 7watt tree (nightlight) bulb. the strings can be daisy-chained if a large number of lights is required.

/ed B in NH (where it was 75 degrees on Saturday, Nov 1)

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Hemingray said:
This looks to be an upgraded model of the GG POS. Maybe , this one actually works.... Thie one uses red, blue, green and yellow, instead of weird cyan, blue, orange and bile green.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine has 2 each of red, yellow, and green LEDs; and 1 blue LED in the center. But it still {vulgar term for multiple feces} itself, just like yours does. So, I guess the "0 Stars - **** On It!" rating I gave it will stand imperpetuity<sp>. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif