GONCZ HI-TECH PICS *FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW ADDED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
OVERVIEW

Synopsis: very good quality tool which will compete directly with other duty lights like the Mag Charger, and Streamlight SL series. No comparison is made to the "lite" rechargables like the SureFire 8 or 9, or to the Streamlight Stinger series as they are physically smaller.

As distribution is presently limited to factory orders, I suspect that full price will be more than people are willing to pay; however, I beleive once the lights make it into the main stream, the "street price" will be more inline with its competitors, and the HI-TECH series will be a viable alternative.

As Mr Goncz is active on this board, I leave the techical details to him....

COMMENTARY AND NOTES

I tested both an M5 & M7 for waterproofness by placing them in my backyard pond for 3 hours. The lights were placed in the pond as supplied; the only thing I did was to make sure the caps were screwed on tight. One leaked, the other didn't. I repeated the test, but this time I "prep" the lights, cleaned the threads, and lubricated the o-rings as I have done thousands of times with my underwater camera equiptment. On the second test, both units were bone dry.

Foreign matter on the o-rings was more than likely resposible for the minor leak. However, this is a new light, not one that has been rolling around in the trunk of my car for the last six months. I place the blame on the factory for not cleaning up the unit prior to shipping

The battery packs are nickle metal hydride, and are constructed with 1/2 "d" cell battteries. (Not really...) I can tell you that the M-5 battery pack can be replaced with 3 "d" cells, and the M7 battery pack can be replaced with 4 "d' cell batteries. Charging is accomplished by connection the flashlight to a "wall transformer". The battery packs have a special "negative" end, and the end caps have an addtional spring to make the connection.

The first two charging units that were supplied were defective; at no time did the status indicator change from red to green. Mr Goncz provided two replacemnt chargers which functioned properly with the M5... however, out of four chargers, not one ever turned green with the M7. Also, the termperature of the charger reached 223 degree F., too high in my opinion. Mr Goncz acknowledged that he is replacing the current release charger with a new version

The ability to use regular batteries is a plus but ther units would be under driven (the M5 is 6 volt, the M7 about 8.4 volts)... but the lights do work. This is the old "in an emergency, middle of nowhere, being able to buy batteries anywhere" scenario, and keep the light running.

I should note that the flashlighs can use a standard pr-base bulb. However, be careful, the regualar Pr-13 is too large to fit the hole of the reflector; the magnum star or halogen equivalents fit fine.

Closing notes:
in the past, the aluminum reflectors were done by an outside contractor. Mr Goncz indicated that he was not 100% pleased with the quailty control, and will be producing the reflectors in house

ImageServer.psp

1Just started this album... more to follow
[edit] sorry.. didn't realize one needs a longin name and password to view the pics

Login: candlepowerforums Password: cpf

Mr Ted Bears - Goncz Album

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
I don't have an imagestation account, and don't perticurly feel like getting one right now...could someone pleaes post the pictures into this thread?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Jeff! Any words to go with the pics? Are those silicone O-rings?

- Don

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened
DON,

Sorry to jump in but I am not sure if Ted is aware of it.

Yes all the O-rings we are using is the top of the line US made silicone O-rings,

Also the Firm grip Rubber handle is prime natural rubber.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks G.L. John,

Nice attention to details and materials! What are the lens and reflector materrials used?

- Don

Ratso

Enlightened
Wow! Its a beauty! Kinda makes the SL-35 look like trash
smile.gif
(proabably because the SL-35 is used?)

Is that focusing animation what it really looks like but with the reflector removed? And how hard/easy is it to turn the focus head?

Nice attention to details and materials! What are the lens and reflector materrials used?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The flyer says it is glass and aluminum. Mr. Goncz says that it is superior to Pyrex and Surefire reflectors . I guess you have to compare side by side to see...
wink.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finaly... more pics.... does the rubber get sticky over time? Or if left in the sun? I am refering to the one on the barrel. Is it chemical resistance (Read: Sweaty palms)
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've said it once, and i'll say it again: dang are they sexy!

by the way...Why did you choose HA II as opposed to HA III?

Ratso

Enlightened
Why did you choose HA II as opposed to HA III?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
I think it really has to do with the color. The black is a more uniform look for cops. The HA-III looks a bit unfinished to those who do not appreciate its real purpose, the hardness. I hope Mr. Goncz will offer different color and Hard Anodize - III in the future.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3 inch reflector looks kinda odd tho, like an oversized.... upside down.... olympic torch... yeah, that's it, the torch which someone takes to run a very long distance....., note that it's a fire torch, not an electric torch I am talking about.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Completely off topic--there is one ofthe Salt Lake 2002 torches in my school as of like Wednesday. It's cool but not so bright
grin.gif
(Doesn't burn, and it's behind glass...)

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened
Ratso,

The reflector is made of aluminum alloy, smooth surface, highly polished, and Vacum Metalized.

The Glass is made of special Glass, cut and then tempered for make it more resistant to impacts. The thicknees is 1/8 of inch and serves as a heat sinker and also to withstand the water pressure, when you using it for diving or night fishing. ( Night fishing with light, I am not sure where is legal where is not, check with the game wardens?)

Nerd,

The Handle Grip is Natural Molded Rubber, (compression molded) each, made of Natural Prime Rubber, (not plastic, not neoprene, not syntetics, etc.) originated from Brazil. This material is not cheap much more expensive than Syntetic Rubber. This is the Rubber that maintains it's form fro extreme cold to extreme hot. Wet or dry gives you the most firm grip.

Manufacturing process is the mold made out of steel, highly polished, the natural rubber is processed by adding the color to it and than a rubber piece is placed into the mold cavities and under pressure of 15 ton the die is closed and then under heat the rubber is cured for about 20 min.

After that the pieces are removed and chilled in cold water to stabilize the material. The hardnees
is about 40 to 45 Shore (the rubber hardnes is measured in shores 100 is the maximum and the lower and is about 20, lower the number softer is the rubber.

The last process is the removal of the shiny scale of the rubber that is achieved by special process that is considered trade secret. Sorry.

Ted,

when it comes some technical questions I hope you do not mind if I am posting some answers thay you may or may not aware of it.

We appriciate the postings, the shoots and that you achieved to stimulate the focussing!!!

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "review" is being written in WORD, and I will post tommorrow. When I received the lights, batteries were of an unknown state. Mr Goncz recommended that I first discharge the batteries, and then charge fully.

One of the lights only had 10 minutes, the other about 25 minutes before dying. Both have been on charge for 5 hours and still the red light is on

Size15's

Flashaholic
So let me get this straight...

fd26d2ff.jpg

Left to Right:
Goncz M-10
StreamLight SL35X
Goncz M-7
Goncz M-5
SureFire M6

Anyone got a TigerLight they can send to Jeff please?

Thanks

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts